Blue eyed soul

Chatty

6 minutes ago, chatty said:

Mick Hucknall has been doing the rounds recently pushing his soon to be released  new Album, Blue Eyed Soul.

Got me wondering how long has the term been around, does it pre date the Northern scene or is it more recent.

Anyone?

Biddu.  Had a album called Blue eyed soul in about 1975. The only way at the time to get Exodus . A instrumental track that was getting played at the time 

Steve 

Social source share

It's funny because the general impression is copycat artists stealing original black music and making a more commercially viable recording.

However John Anderson RIP does talk about white artists loving the music and trying to emulate the sound.

I think I'd definitely pre dates Northern as a term.

Just look at the stuff by Dusty S and Bobby G

Ed

• Up vote 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, chatty said:

Mick Hucknall has been doing the rounds recently pushing his soon to be released  new Album, Blue Eyed Soul.

Got me wondering how long has the term been around, does it pre date the Northern scene or is it more recent.

Anyone?

The Shades of Blue got there name from being white,they were given that name by John Rhys the sound engineer. Chris. 

Social source share

5 minutes ago, Zoomsoulblue said:

mid 60ts 64/65

Blue-eyed soul (also known as white soul) is rhythm and blues and soul music performed by white artists. The term was coined in the mid-1960s, to describe white artists who performed soul and R&B that was similar to the music of the Motown and Stax record labels.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org › wiki

links not working

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue-eyed_soul

2 hours ago, The Tempest said:

Georgie Woods a philly DJ used it to describe The Righteous Brothers after seeing them in concert .... 

It stuck , they liked it and so 

they went on to name their 1964 Lp - Blue Eyed Soul , the rest as they say is history ! 

there's an article knocking around based on that 

here are

Social source share

3 hours ago, Tomangoes said:

It's funny because the general impression is copycat artists stealing original black music and making a more commercially viable recording.

However John Anderson RIP does talk about white artists loving the music and trying to emulate the sound.

I think I'd definitely pre dates Northern as a term.

Just look at the stuff by Dusty S and Bobby G

Ed

don't get the bobby g reference

to me like many others he was just a mainstream pop singer having a  go at a certain style that was popular at the time for whatever reasons.

What was it with him,  just the 2 or 3 tracks with a certain beat/style, 100s without? say not really a qualification that earns anyone the right to be tagged a 'soul' artist, be it blue eyed or what ever

quite a few 'blue eyed' had and got and delivered the 'soul' but I'd say not him... imo

• Up vote 2
Social source share

4 hours ago, recordsnracin said:

Prime example of blue eyed soul here in the states is The Magnificent Men.

Tempests, Billy Harner, Len Barry, Matt Lucas, Intentions and loads of others. The Beach scene especially is littered with singers/groups who knew exactly what style of music they were singing.  

Dave 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

If you click on the link below it has Numerous comments ref blue eyed soul - however one thing I certainly didn’t know was R&B replaced the term used at the time “race music”

Mike ErricoJuly 11, 2016 

Interpretations of “blue,” as in “sad,” date as far back as 1385, and Chaucer’s poem, The Complaint of Mars. In the late 1940s, Jerry Wexler, a white Billboard writer who later became a partner at Atlantic records, coined the term “Rhythm and Blues,” or “R&B,” to replace the then-used term “race music.” In effect, R&B became a blanket genre for black artists, and the convention has largely remained today.

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2016/07/08/blue-eyed-soul-hate-phrase/

Social source share

There are some great blue eyed soul artists who made real soul recordings , original and copy,s, Wayne Cochrane, PJ Proby ect spring to mind no race or colour has a monopoly on Soul it’s inside all human beings some more than others, if it’s good music it’s good music regardless of what nation you belong too It,s  the great equaliser what brings good souls together

KR

Mick Lyons

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!