Do you wish you had been there ?

Violet Mays in Sheffield.

Boxes and boxes in alphabetical label order all around you as far as you could see.

Its of people combing through the boxes every Saturday.

Went on my own once, midweek in the School holidays. Picked up a mint reflections Adam and Eve black issue for a quid. Best find I'd ever had at that point. Sold it for twelve quid the following weekend. 

Happy school days...and beyond.

Ed

• Up vote 1
Social source share

You should have go into Bostocks warehouse ( Bradford Market) - to quote Howard Carter ' I see wonderful things'

Then again, I think I was the only person to get into their other warehouse ( a derelict terraced house in Undercliffe) - single copies of far too many to mention!! Talk about the good old days😂

Julian

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Then a few month later Swish drags me into  a cycling shop in Leeds on York Road. Boxes full of UK Columbia, Palophone etc  stuff. Loads of Major Lance etc.. god knows what we missed on other labels.. due to no playing facility!  stuff that hadn’t been discovered yet!! Swish had no longer possession of a discotron !! 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Petedillon said:

Bostocks was a moment in time Julian!! Many Saturdays spent nose deep in racks ! Leeds /Bradford... can you recall the electrical shop in Cross Gates Leeds where we found all those UK issues such as Millionaires & Prophets ?

Sure do. Didn't we get lots of Fidels, Furys and Jo Lovejoy from here as well?

Social source share

15 hours ago, Julianb said:

You should have go into Bostocks warehouse ( Bradford Market) - to quote Howard Carter ' I see wonderful things'

Then again, I think I was the only person to get into their other warehouse ( a derelict terraced house in Undercliffe) - single copies of far too many to mention!! Talk about the good old days😂

Julian

Blimey Julian, I lived in undercliffe at the time & never knew about that warehouse, only the market stall, i bet Ivor Allen (reknown Bradford dealer) who lived round the corner at the time knew about it though, his house was a treasure trove, Aint seen him for many years now, dont know if he,s still around. Reminded me about last time i seen him was at that pile bar all dayer, where he did multiple trips ferrying  crates of records in his trusted volvo estate loaded up to the hilt that the exhaust pipe was scraping on the floor,  he literally filled the entire venue with records for a pittance, of which we could possibly only dream about now.

Social source share

59 minutes ago, wiggyflat said:

no.....that looks as though you would only get fifties records

Of course it is, it is just meant to be about days gone by and how this sort of thing does not happen anymore, just a talking point 😀 as per the other submitters

And I bet there was some Doo-Wop or R&B in there which is also Soul

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

21 hours ago, Tomangoes said:

Violet Mays in Sheffield.

Boxes and boxes in alphabetical label order all around you as far as you could see.

Its of people combing through the boxes every Saturday.

Went on my own once, midweek in the School holidays. Picked up a mint reflections Adam and Eve black issue for a quid. Best find I'd ever had at that point. Sold it for twelve quid the following weekend. 

Happy school days...and beyond.

Ed

I didn't get to it (Seems a pleasant lady) I hope Mike doesn't mind me posting a photo of the book

soul Vioiloet

soul Violet

soul post 110 1173040480

Social source share

Just to see loads of demos ( even if they were not soul! ) was impressive.

And at 14/15 I had very little knowledge really, unless it was top 500 of the day, so probably missed loads of stuff!

There was also another shop similar on the Rotherham to Sheffield bus route that was mainly rock and roll stuff, but I did pick up a tell me what he said, the playground, and I'm coming home, that the proprietor handed me and said you will like these! I did not know any of them at the time.

Ed

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!