• Stevie Wonder
    • George Carrow
    • The 3 1/2 ‎
    • Darrell Banks

This poll is closed to new votes

• Sign in or join to vote
  • Poll closed on 06/11/19 at 17:58

Time for the latest Version Battle

Lined up today we have a suggestion from @Blackpoolsoul who has gone for a battle of the Angel Babies...

As before all you have to do to take part is grab a listen and then voice your prefered version via the one click poll
plus if time allows post a comment on the whys and such behind your choice, and can also include any background, memories, trivia, questions, stories related to the versions.

here we go then... 

Stevie Wonder - Angel Baby (Don't You Ever Leave Me)

George Carrow - Angel Baby (Don't You Ever Leave Me)

The 3 1/2 ‎– Angel Baby (Don't You Ever Leave Me)

Darrell Banks - Angel Baby (Don't You Leave Me)

angel-baby-poll-source.jpg

As before all you have to do to take part is grab a listen and then voice your prefered version via the one click poll
plus if time allows post a comment on the whys and such behind your choice, and can also include any background, memories, trivia, questions, stories related to the versions.

listen, vote, talk...

Social source share

Without a doubt George Carrow is the one that does it for me. It's the version that harks back to my youth and is the one that, when unknown to me, Dave Godin recommended to me along with a handful of others in one of London's Berwick Street record stores. Amongst the other tunes were Bok to Bach...Father's Angels, Cat Walk....Gerry & Paul and the Soul Emissaries, and Spreadin' Honey....Watts 103rd St Rhythm Band (get anything with "Watts" in it, he said). Still got all the vinyl I bought that day in '71.

-Kev

• Up vote 3
Social source share

A difficult one this. Easy for those of us of a certain age to boil it down to one of two, either George Carrow, or Darrell Banks. I'm going to go for George Carrow. As mentioned by others, this is the first version I ever heard and danced to. It brings back incredible memories of long ago days, (and nights), a VERY misspent youth, and for me, just shades Darrell's version by a whisker. 

Social source share

Darrell's version for me  although George and Stevie are close.

5 hours ago, Mike said:

read the lead singer of this group is the geezer from taxi no less, say that's quite apt myself... 😃

Jeff Conaway (who was also in the movie "Grease") is said to be the lead singer of the 3 1/2. 

Social source share

Not my favorite tune really. The continuous drive can't allow the singer to rest. Pushing the singer to shout in order to sing instead of "slamming". Giving the impression that he is continuously running under stress after his "dovey" baby.

First heard the George Carrow version which is a disaster vocally. Then heard Darrel's which is much more acceptable IMO. The 3 1/2 is OK poppy. I never care for Stevie Wonder stuffs with maybe 4 or 5 exceptions and not even this one.

Social source share

By a mile it has to be 1st George Carrow because like already said its the first to be spun at various venues across the country and  it's the best version.2nd Darrell Bank"s take on it. Then the others don't come anywhere near. I.M.O.                                      Regards Fred.

Edited by Mr Fred
Social source share

Our Local " Soul " Do Played The LP As a New Release ! , So Stevie's Version Was The Known Version Until " Darrell Banks -ATCO Lp " Was Issued .

P.S. It Got Played Endlessly - All The Versions That Followed S.Wonder - Had Given Them Guidance at There Feet - To Follow And Cut Their Interpretations ???

" The Slat Lad - HYDE "  .

Social source share

thanks to all who took part rating and talking and thanks to blackpool soul for the suggestion

It looks like we have a clear #1

The results being...

Stevie Wonder 10%

George Carrow 38%

The 3 1/2 ‎ 1%

Darrell Banks 51%

as said always after ideas for future polls, pm me if have any 

always on the lookout for future poll suggestions

some criteria - one version must be fairly well known, need to limit it to just 2 or 3 versions, 

looking for version battles that be both interesting and enjoyable

any ideas ?

if do have any, then just let me know via pm (not on this topic please ) to me via @Mike

over to Darrell to finish...

• Thanks 1
Social source share

7 minutes ago, JJMMWG DuPree said:
  • Whoever recorded it first is obviously the best since the other three have done little else than cover it almost note for note.

I get your point but none of the artists in this case are even remotely involved in the composition of the tune to call it their "own essence". So in such case they have all their own "merits" and should be judged evenly IMO. Otherwise I would say that it is indeed a valid point that I do respect.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!