Dave Moore profile photo

BBC 4 : Rock N Roll America

Posted

Just a heads up for those that haven't seen it, on the BBC iPlayer on BBC4 there's a 3 part documentary that documents the birth and development of Rock N Roll.  Some fantastic footage and interviews with many of our heroes are interspersed in the story and the whole thing is worth watching.  It's the BBC so there are some gaping holes in it but it's a visually stunning and well presented  set of shows that highlight the black music of the era(s) very well.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0615nmw/rock-n-roll-america-1-sweet-little-sixteen

Best

Dave 

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

I've been watching it and thoroughly enjoying it. As Dave says there are holes in it but development of a musical style is always more complicated than a 3 part series can go into.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
On 02/11/2019 at 12:05, Geoff said:

I've been watching it and thoroughly enjoying it. As Dave says there are holes in it but development of a musical style is always more complicated than a 3 part series can go into.

Yep, exactly Geoff. A couple of the highlights for me was watching and listening to Allen Toussaint stories about Casimo Matassa and his legendary studios in New O'rleans.  Both legends of course now passed on and the footage of Chuck Berry completely inventing his own style of delivery. (I'm a huge CB fan!)

Regards,

Dave 

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
On 03/11/2019 at 14:24, Dave Moore said:

Yep, exactly Geoff. A couple of the highlights for me was watching and listening to Allen Toussaint stories about Casimo Matassa and his legendary studios in New O'rleans.  Both legends of course now passed on and the footage of Chuck Berry completely inventing his own style of delivery. (I'm a huge CB fan!)

Regards,

Dave 

Casimo matassa had his studio in the French quarter,that is where Donna King recorded Take Me Home. Chris. 

Share this forum post

soul source url

All About the SOUL - Source Forum

Jump into the northern soul music & beyond talk now!

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

1. Roll Up, Roll Up! - Fancy A Picture Quiz Later Tonight?
    All About the SOUL by Godzilla on Sun 14 Feb 2010
    • 211 / 5285
    • on 15 Feb 2010
  2. Cheap As Chips Roll Up Roll Up
    Record Sales by Gerry H on Sun 10 May 2015
    • 1 / 689
    • Gerry H on 10 May 2015
  3. Roll up, roll up, Cheapies for sale
    Record Sales by Rowan on Thu 18 Jun 2015
    • 1 / 657
    • Rowan on 18 Jun 2015
  4. Bbc 4 - The Chess Records Saga- Roll Over Beethoven
    All About the SOUL by snakepit on Tue 25 Feb 2014
    • 10 / 1265
    • daved on 04 Mar 2014
  5. More Soul / Funk / Rock N Roll / Garage Etc Obscurities On Ebay
    Soul Website Sales by galaxy on Tue 25 Apr 2006
    • 2 / 414
    • galaxy on 29 Apr 2006
  6. Northern Soul & Rock 'n' Roll
    Events Archive by Simon on Wed 05 Mar 2008
    • 22 / 892
    • tim smithers on 26 Apr 2008

Source Adverts

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.