Impressions, Love Me, Alternate Press

Garethx

Has anyone got a soundfile of the alternate press of Love Me by The Impressions which is doing the rounds at the moment? Saw a sales topic on FB which claimed this version is a vocal by Curtis Mayfield. Can anyone who has one confirm?

This is the Columbia-Pitman-pressed styrene demo with both sides. It has a different master number to the other presses (CR 1959 A as opposed to CR 1959 A 3A on the ARP-pressed vinyl issue).

I already know there are two distinct versions of this. The 45 is a different mix to the album take with the most obvious difference apart from run time being a different swap of vocals at the beginning. What I'm interested in is whether this other version is just a cut down version of that album take or, as claimed, a version with Cutis singing lead as opposed to Leroy Hutson.

TIA for any help.

Social source share

There's an alternate version with Curtis Mayfield doing the lead vocals included on the "Indelible Impressions" double-CD on Sequel from 1999. It's a mess compared to the Leroy Hutson led version. Perhaps that's the one that has sneaked on an a 45? I don't know. Do you have a link to the sales post, or in which group was it?

Social source share

4 hours ago, Garethx said:

Has anyone got a soundfile of the alternate press of Love Me by The Impressions which is doing the rounds at the moment? Saw a sales topic on FB which claimed this version is a vocal by Curtis Mayfield. Can anyone who has one confirm?

This is the Columbia-Pitman-pressed styrene demo with both sides. It has a different master number to the other presses (CR 1959 A as opposed to CR 1959 A 3A on the ARP-pressed vinyl issue).

I already know there are two distinct versions of this. The 45 is a different mix to the album take with the most obvious difference apart from run time being a different swap of vocals at the beginning. What I'm interested in is whether this other version is just a cut down version of that album take or, as claimed, a version with Cutis singing lead as opposed to Leroy Hutson.

TIA for any help.

I don't know the CD version but I have a couple of copies left of the 45 in question. The vocal is not Curtis Mayfield alone as its more of a group effort. The backing vocals are paired back so the backing track is often more prominent. For example there is no 'my baby' on the intro. I have both versions and I think both have their own merits.

If you want a copy just let me know. Once they are gone they are gone as they say.

ATB

Andy

Social source share

I have an Issue and Demo from the same plant.

The B-side looks to be from the same stampers on both. CR-1959-B-1 @ 12 o'clock the plant stamp is @ 6 o'clock

A-side on the Issue   - CR-1959-A-1A @ 12'o'clock the plant stamp is @ 8 o'clock

A-side on the Demo - CR-1959-A-1    @ 12'o'clock the plant stamp is @ 6 o'clock

Issue A-side label Curtom Publishing Co Time 2:55

Demo A-side label Camad Music Time 3:00

Social source share

12 minutes ago, Chris Turnbull said:

Thanks Dave, I've just bought one from him today!

No I meant more where have they come from - did someone find a box of them?

Chris

there was a seller on ebay selling lots of Curtom  'job lots' inc at least one box of 25 of this one.  He also had multiple copies of the job lots - a nice lot of seven releases inc a copy of this  which he had six lots of!  one of which is winging its way to North Carolina as I speak 😀

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 minutes ago, Chris Turnbull said:

Thanks Dave, I've just bought one from him today!

No I meant more where have they come from - did someone find a box of them?

a guy on ebay has found a load of buddah stock..theres 100 copies of this in there..he didnt know it was a different take tho..someone in the uk bought one..noticed the difference then the cat was out of the bag.. a few guys in the uk have got in sharpish and bought the whole lot....  bob beasley my mate who lives near me has some..andy spencer.. mick smith...not a lot in the grand scheme..when they are gone i think thats it..they have been selling like hotcakes last couple of days and not expensive so defo worth a punt

• Up vote 2
Social source share

4 minutes ago, Dave Pinch said:

a guy on ebay has found a load of buddah stock..theres 100 copies of this in there..he didnt know it was a different take tho..someone in the uk bought one..noticed the difference then the cat was out of the bag.. a few guys in the uk have got in sharpish and bought the whole lot....  bob beasley my mate who lives near me has some..andy spencer.. mick smith...not a lot in the grand scheme..when they are gone i think thats it..they have been selling like hotcakes last couple of days and not expensive so defo worth a punt

8 minutes ago, Mike Lofthouse said:

Chris

there was a seller on ebay selling lots of Curtom  'job lots' inc at least one box of 25 of this one.  He also had multiple copies of the job lots - a nice lot of seven releases inc a copy of this  which he had six lots of!  one of which is winging its way to North Carolina as I speak 😀

Thanks both, that explains it

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 minute ago, Dave Pinch said:

there was 4 x 25 count boxes plus if mike says there was half a dozen more put in `curtis packs `  theres 106/7.. thats  a few more  but dont think many left already

Not a lot in the scheme of things really.   However, I've been playing the LP since this cropped up and I have to say that's the way to hear it!

Social source share

8 minutes ago, Mike Lofthouse said:

Not a lot in the scheme of things really.   However, I've been playing the LP since this cropped up and I have to say that's the way to hear it!

ive got the lp which ive had years ..but picked up a regular curtom 45 on holiday in florida last year for $1... couldnt leave it..now i have this promo too

Social source share

Just got mine yesterday and gave it a good spin last night

I think it's terrific, quite different feel to the issues, more a traditional Impressions group vocal than the Leroy Hutson version - bit like a 'Part 2' that you sometimes get on the flip of 45's. Can imagine it sounds great loud

Only slight gripe is sound quality quite harsh so have to adjust the settings a bit for best effect, but hey that's nit picking - great find 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 05/11/2019 at 12:00, Sebastian said:

Contrary to what I wrote above, it's not Curtis Mayfield singing the lead on the newly discovered 45, it's Sam Gooden. 

I was corrected by Ian "Taffy" Guy regarding this on an FB thread yesterday.

Mine arrived today - it sounds to me more like Fred Cash singing lead rather than Sam Gooden

Edited by Nickinstoke
Misspelled
Social source share

On 09/11/2019 at 10:00, Dave Pinch said:

also contains the wonderful potent love

Hey Dave, thanks for that , had a listen today, to the whole album, potent love is indeed a great track, as is the whole album, gonna have to get one now, think I might have got the last 45 your mate bob was selling so played both versions back to back, leroys vocals just edge it for me , more smooth and polished but still enjoy the other one non the less, would imagine it sounds great on a big system, thanks again......ohil

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!