Younghearts question

Gointoagogo

49 minutes ago, Seano said:

Intriguing - my 3.05 copy on Minit has the same distinctive intro and ending that sounds vaguely Egyptian, I couldn't make out where the extended part actually falls. 

Yes my issue copy has the Egyptian sounds too. I think the one on YT sounds as if it was done live (the applause at start + end) but if it is actually a live version it is a very good one.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

That intro is from Miserlou (a Turkish song).  But, it was based on a Gypsy tune, and those Gypsies, although originally from North India, moved through Iran, and eventually to Egypt, before they came to Europe.  So, it well could be an Egyptian tune.  Misr means Egypt in Arabic and the consonants "M-S-R" mean Egypt in ALL Semitic languages, both modern and archaic(Arabic, Hebrew, Aramaic, Sabean, Akkadian, Canaanite, Eblaite, Assyrian, Babylonian, etc.)

It is interesting that the Pop version from the 1930s came from a Greek version of the 1890s Turkish song.  And that version was the origin of The Cardinals' R&B version from 1954., and Dick Dale and The Deltones' Surf instrumental version from 1962.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

7 hours ago, Gointoagogo said:

Yes my issue copy has the Egyptian sounds too. I think the one on YT sounds as if it was done live (the applause at start + end) but if it is actually a live version it is a very good one.

Sounds like fake crowd noise was added. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

12 hours ago, Agent45 said:

Sounds like fake crowd noise was added. 

Nail on head.

If not, how would the audience know when to start applauding? It's only the "Egyptian" bit at the end that provides the clue, particularly in a live set which would be likely to be extended. The applause starts before then. It's fake.

- Kev

Edited by Kevinkent
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

9 hours ago, Kevinkent said:

Nail on head.

If not, how would the audience know when to start applauding? It's only the "Egyptian" bit at the end that provides the clue, particularly in a live set which would be likely to be extended. The applause starts before then. It's fake.

- Kev

Thanks guys - I suspected that it wasn't a live version as it was too much like the vinyl. 

Social source share

20 hours ago, Robbk said:

That intro is from Miserlou (a Turkish song).  But, it was based on a Gypsy tune, and those Gypsies, although originally from North India, moved through Iran, and eventually to Egypt, before they came to Europe.  So, it well could be an Egyptian tune.  Misr means Egypt in Arabic and the consonants "M-S-R" mean Egypt in ALL Semitic languages, both modern and archaic(Arabic, Hebrew, Aramaic, Sabean, Akkadian, Canaanite, Eblaite, Assyrian, Babylonian, etc.)

It is interesting that the Pop version from the 1930s came from a Greek version of the 1890s Turkish song.  And that version was the origin of The Cardinals' R&B version from 1954., and Dick Dale and The Deltones' Surf instrumental version from 1962.

Great bit of history about one song thanks - I'm not too keen on the Dick Dale version but all the others are OK.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!