Rock City Nottingham mid 80,s

This iconic Nottingham venue along with Stafford and the 100 club was at the for front of pushing the scene forward original dj's where Dave Raistrick. Gary Rushbrooke and Jim Wensoria. Other dj, s to join the team later where myself and Rob Marriott. That's was the 60's night alternate Fridays dj's where Dave Raistrick, Soul Sam, Arthur Fenn, Robin Salter, and guests. Guests on the 60's nights included Keb darge, ADY Crosdall, Guy Hennigan,. Both nights were well attended with many travellers from far and wide. What's your memories 

Steve p

Social source share

• 4 months later...

Hi Steve...great memories of the place...Used to take turns with Max & Wendy to drive...only went to the Modern nights and it was generally Sam, Arthur, Dave on...Don't remember it being massively attended...but was always a good atmosphere...With it sharing the venue with a “Rock” music night it made for some “interesting” characters wondering around the building 😄...Going for a piss when the gents was full of grebos won’t for the faint hearted lol

Remember plays like, King Tutt, Solid Gold Revue, David Sea etc...

Also Dave R would have his latest sales available and remember buying Cecil Lyde there for £8...
I almost sure Dave put on an All-nighter there...

Anyway fond memories of going over to Nottingham on a Friday night including the occasional bit of street racing on the way in 😄

Ric

Social source share

I was truly skint in 84/85. Not much work going in my line of business, coal mining.

Nottingham was not deemed as welcoming to us Yorkshiremen.

Just had a few flying visits, kept getting turned back.

All in the past now I guess...

Ed

Edited by Tomangoes
Spello
Social source share

Remember the modern nights well, that was right in the middle of that little label renaissance of the eightees, so not only were many of the now iconic modern soul records being played there as current biggies (Melvin Moor, Mother Fox, King Moses, Florrecent Smogg) There were also many great new and recent releases like The Mad Lads ' I Think i'm falling in love', Chuck Roberson 'i've got to have your love'. I remember having to wait for the heavy rockers to be chucked out before the nighter started.

Social source share

10 hours ago, Still Diggin said:

Remember the modern nights well, that was right in the middle of that little label renaissance of the eightees, so not only were many of the now iconic modern soul records being played there as current biggies (Melvin Moor, Mother Fox, King Moses, Florrecent Smogg) There were also many great new and recent releases like The Mad Lads ' I Think i'm falling in love', Chuck Roberson 'i've got to have your love'. I remember having to wait for the heavy rockers to be chucked out before the nighter started.

Was a nice trip up in the Ford Fiesta with a few tins of paint for company.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!