Stephen Houghton profile photo

Turntable info

Posted (edited)

Hi I'm looking to buy a record turntable combo ie speakers /amp, has anybody got any info which to buy, a good middle of the road combo, just for home use, thanks steve 

Edited by Stephen Houghton
Not wanted

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

budget for all?

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Stephen Houghton said:

Hi I'm looking to buy a record turntable combo ie speakers /amp, has anybody got any info which to buy, a good middle of the road combo, just for home use, thanks steve 

It's not clear if you want hi-fi or DJ type equipment, but, whatever your budget, buy secondhand/used, as you'll get far better value.  Usually, second hand hi-fi equipment has been well looked after.  Naturally DJ/PA gear will possibly be more of a risk as it could have been hammered, unless just bedroom use.

From a hi-fi perspective I can highly recommend Rega decks, especially Planar 3 or later RP3.  They have a great tonearm as standard, and if set up properly and paired with a good cartridge, not only sound great but also track really well.

The best way, if possible, would be to listen to any recommendations for yourself before taking the plunge.  Let your own ears be the judge.

Edited by tiberius
spelling
  • Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

For Hi-Fi use I definitely agree with tiberius about the Rega decks and if your budget does not stretch to a RP3 at present an RP1 is great value at about £250 and can be upgraded when funds allow. I have a Rega pre-amp phone into a Marantz amp and Mission speakers and Chord cables/interconnects.

By the way the current issue of What Hi-Fi is the Awards issue indicating the best kit available in different price bands. 

• Thanks 1

Share this forum post

soul source url

Freebasing - Source Forum

An off the soul beat lifestyle talk forum

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

• 1 / 339
    • on 16 Dec 2005
    • 1 / 168
    • soul source on 10 Dec 2005
  1. Solid Centres For Turntable
    All About the SOUL by Dave Morris on Wed 24 Jan 2007
    • 14 / 709
    • dundeedavie on 24 Jan 2007
  2. Gay Jamison on Turntable
    Record Sales by Guest on Wed 11 Feb 2004
    • 1 / 843
    • on 11 Feb 2004
  3. The Greatest Turntable On Earth
    All About the SOUL by Guest on Sun 10 Apr 2005
    • 7 / 908
    • Stuart T on 11 Apr 2005
  4. Whats Been On The Turntable Tonight
    All About the SOUL by Guest Brett on Fri 16 Dec 2005
    • 44 / 1617
    • Johnny One Trout on 18 Dec 2005

Source Adverts

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.