Len profile photo

Ok folks, so who are you going to vote for?

Our General Election  

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Ok folks, so who are you going to vote for?

• Conservative
    • Labour
    • Liberal
    • The Brexit Party
    • SNP
    • Plaid Cymru
    • Others

Posted

Our General Election

This is just a light-hearted indication of how we're all presently feeling, as a matter of interest.

We’ll keep the comments open for now - Please keep them controlled! :wink:

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Len. There's no option for not voting .😁

Which is my decision after voting Labour all my life, but with there refusal to accept the referendum results I'm done with them and will never be voting again. 

• Up vote 3

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Hi Steve,

Yes I did think of that option - Well I thought of you actually (not vote for you, just no vote) But think 6 options was enough.

We'll keep the comments on the result only if we can folks, in the interests of keeping this light hearted :wink:

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

And you forgot the "None of your business" option too Len ... :rolleyes:

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Thanks for your consideration my friend 😁. I look forward to the results and to see if the poll on here reflects the actual result of the election 

Steve 

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
6 minutes ago, WoodButcher said:

And you forgot the "None of your business" option too Len ... :rolleyes:

There is that of course - But who vote will be anonymous :wink:

Sky News have already been on the blower about this Poll :D

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

It's not the same without:

David Edward Sutch, also known as 3rd Earl of Harrow, or Screaming Lord Sutch, was an English musician and serial parliamentary candidate. He was the founder of the Official Monster Raving Loony Party and served as its leader from 1983 to 1999, during which time he stood in numerous parliamentary elections.

Born: 10 November 1940, Hampstead, London

Died: 16 June 1999.

He would be too normal for today's politics.

Ed

• Up vote 4

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Hard to work out. I'm a life long Labour supporter but finding that difficult this time. I'm in Ken Clarke's seat which has always been Conservative (he's retiring). Might be green for me to help that topic stay relevant. The seat is so overwhelmingly Conservative that the outcome here is known already really at a local level. 

Edited by Thinksmart

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

I know early days yet, but still interesting that the Liberals are yet to get even one vote.  I wonder if their high hopes will be dashed in the real election...

Thanks for your votes, and comments so far.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Not voting is ridiculous! We have to take responsibility for this!!  I will not get into this otherwise as each one of us is responsible for what happens. I’ll just add that unless you are a millionaire it is utterly ridiculous that you vote Tory!! You will never ever benefit from this totally self-serving closed shop of blue blooded arseholes being in power .  Give yer head a shake.  Dave Godin knew the score. !

• Up vote 7

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Just to add. It’s not USA. You’re not voting for a personality. If you don’t like Corbyn , hey.  I don’t. But Labour will always look after the working class & middle class better than the Boris Uppercrust twats. No contest

• Up vote 4

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

I'm amazed this thread/survey has not been shut down...I'm sure if I started it, I'd be in trouble...again.

Life was so simple when the Tory rich robbed the poor, or the labour poor robbed the rich.

The principled green, lib dem, and independents made up the conscience votes.

The came B

That's got the left voting right and vice versa.

Extremists leading parties.

Lying is ok now.

Exaggerated claims acceptable.

The whole political arguments are skewed. 

Surely it cannot end well.

History repeats itself, I'm told. 

This truly is a scary time to be in this country.

Ed

• Up vote 3

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Reason for the Poll is that thought of interest to some - Was wary of the subject / and considered locking the comments, but I trust everyone will see it for what it is, and comment accordingly, without any spats.

Any 'deeper' comments can be made on the current 'Election 2019 topic' (Link below)

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Judging by your poll so far, not voting is a definate vote for the conservatives

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
3 hours ago, Petedillon said:

Not voting is ridiculous! We have to take responsibility for this!!  I will not get into this otherwise as each one of us is responsible for what happens. I’ll just add that unless you are a millionaire it is utterly ridiculous that you vote Tory!! You will never ever benefit from this totally self-serving closed shop of blue blooded arseholes being in power .  Give yer head a shake.  Dave Godin knew the score. !

3 hours ago, Petedillon said:

Just to add. It’s not USA. You’re not voting for a personality. If you don’t like Corbyn , hey.  I don’t. But Labour will always look after the working class & middle class better than the Boris Uppercrust twats. No contest

Well said Pete. 

The problem is this election is primarily on Brexit lines, which party is secondary. I would have thought the fact that Boris was backing Brexit would be enough to discourage any traditional labour voters to change allegiance. Brexit has got normally sensible people acting anything but.

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

I take it 'Liberal' means Libdem?

There are actually 2 separate parties -the Liberals and the Liberal democrats to be fair.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Well if anybody thinks this election will solve the B word, I'm afraid it won't.

It's took 3 years to agree a once 18 month, and now 12 month, transition period, to agree on a long term future relationship.

Oh, that's right, that transition period deal is not agreed yet.

It's not a foregone conclusion that the ' current deal' will pass in a new parliament, so what then?

A people's vote?

That could come with various choices of what is in that vote, and it may take another 6 months to conclude.

Am I on my own here thinking it's been one big mistake to make an incredibly complicated issue a simple yes or no, in or out vote.

A once relatively United Kingdom, is seriously un united.

The fastest growing economy in Europe in 2015 has ground to a halt.

Worse still, a complete set of plonkers are the main actors in our countries future.

David Cameron will certainly go down in history as the biggest fool of this century.

Ed

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
8 hours ago, Tomangoes said:

Am I on my own here thinking it's been one big mistake to make an incredibly complicated issue a simple yes or no, in or out vote.

Ed

No you are not it’s an incredibly complicated issue to solve.  Most of the issues as far as I can tell can better be addressed by stating in and being involved.

the irony is the best hope now is yet another yes / no referendum.

was Liam fox so deluded he genuinely believed it would be the easiest deal in history ? Was he an out and out liar and a chancer ?

leave was an emotive campaign lacking in facts.  

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Well to go with all this we have every financial wizard on the planet stating any form of brexit will have between 5% and 10% reduction in GDP over the next parliament at least.

All parties a promising an extra spend of the same 5% to 10% on current levels to get the effect of austerity being reversed.

The numbers simply don't add up.

Politically Northern Ireland is a disaster in the making of returning to violence.

Scotland is busting a gut to part company with Westminster. 

Nigel Farage will be the UK ambassador to the USA.

The NHS will be sold off to USA insurance companies to 'pay' for those extra £billions, and then we will start to pay a real price.

The list of negatives go on and on.

The sad part is, if the Tory and brexit party grab a majority, the pain will be felt mostly by those working class people who voted for them.

BUT they are now NOT voting blind on emotions. 

The facts are in front of all of us.

As the old saying goes...' be careful what you wish for' it might come true.

Ed

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
47 minutes ago, Dylan said:

No you are not it’s an incredibly complicated issue to solve.  Most of the issues as far as I can tell can better be addressed by stating in and being involved.

the irony is the best hope now is yet another yes / no referendum.

was Liam fox so deluded he genuinely believed it would be the easiest deal in history ? Was he an out and out liar and a chancer ?

leave was an emotive campaign lacking in facts.  

Absolute rubbish,  your answer to the problems caused by a referendum is ...........lets have another referendum. Priceless.

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
22 minutes ago, Leicester Boy said:

Absolute rubbish,  your answer to the problems caused by a referendum is ...........lets have another referendum. Priceless.

I did use the word irony.  I never wanted this mess.

But I can’t see a better option at this stage so that’s the conclusion I’ve got to.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Leicester Boy said:

If I made a decision, in my life, that caused endless unforeseen problems and looked like it would continue to do so for years to come, I'm sure I would want to reconsider/revisit that decision.

Edited by Kegsy
  • Up vote 7

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
18 minutes ago, Kegsy said:

If I made a decision, in my life, that caused endless unforeseen problems and looked like it would continue to do so for years to come, I'm sure I would want to reconsider/revisit that decision.

I fully understand so the second referendum you people so desperately crave is coming in December and despite the lie being told that lots of leave voters have changed their minds the figures dont show that. The election is a vote on brexit pure and simple and hopefully this time its put to bed.

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

I won't be voting for any 3 years down the line and still no further. If we  went about our job's like this we would have been dismissed years ago. Sack the bloody lot of them. 

Or have a hung parliament and make them all work together till the b thing is sorted. Politicians are all about lining their own pockets first sod the workers. 

That's me done 😁

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
12 hours ago, Timbo58 said:

I take it 'Liberal' means Libdem?

There are actually 2 separate parties -the Liberals and the Liberal democrats to be fair.

Yes - The Liberal Democrats (Jo Swinson)

All the best,

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

For years we've been told that the only brexit acceptable by the folks who voted for it, is a clean break.

The only way that could happen at this election was for the brexit party ( clue in the name) to win a majority in Parliament.

Yet the self imposed leader made that impossible by standing down candidates.

So who is the brexit hero now?

May, Johnson, Farage have all buckled and walked away from that no deal is better than a bad deal rallying call.

The best deal is the status quo for 12 months, and hope that passes in parliament, where a longer term deal is negotiated and accepted.

If it fails, Will it ba back to no deal, or ask for more time.

Nowhere near a majority in parliament for a no deal, so it's an extension. 

How long? Who will the leaders be then? 

Meanwhile investment falters, jobs are lost, the economy plunges.

Kegsy speaks sense. Just admit this brexit is never going to happen in the way that it was projected by the likes of Fox, Johnson, and Gove.

Vassel state, here we come.

Ed

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Back to the 'plot' - Conservatives presently have a 14.29% lead.....

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Errh, i might be wrong but isn't the whole idea of an election to get a parliament that sees through the will of the people.  But obviously the day after gina millionaire will be at the courts saying we need another election because she doesn't like the results. Thank god she and her rich pals care so much about us poor folks.... 

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

I think I came to the same conclusion last time the B word got discussed.

Hardly likely it's going to happen in its purest form, and any alternative form is worse than the current status quo.

Farage just sold the real brexiteers down the river and somehow gets no blame.

Crafty bloke indeed.

Ed

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
41 minutes ago, Tomangoes said:

I think I came to the same conclusion last time the B word got discussed.

Hardly likely it's going to happen in its purest form, and any alternative form is worse than the current status quo.

Farage just sold the real brexiteers down the river and somehow gets no blame.

Crafty bloke indeed.

Ed

Farages dad was an investment banker and he has been a trader in the city how he can claim to be on the side of normal working class folk baffles me ?

and as for that smug grin.....

con man and fraud of the highest order.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
59 minutes ago, Leicester Boy said:

Errh, i might be wrong but isn't the whole idea of an election to get a parliament that sees through the will of the people.  But obviously the day after gina millionaire will be at the courts saying we need another election because she doesn't like the results. Thank god she and her rich pals care so much about us poor folks.... 

I thought the job of Parliament was to act in the best interests of the country ?

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Although all valid points, let's keep this particular discussion light hearted / on the results.

As said, there is another thread running on the election 2019 (Link below)

Thanks.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
On 13/11/2019 at 04:25, Tomangoes said:

It's not the same without:

David Edward Sutch, also known as 3rd Earl of Harrow, or Screaming Lord Sutch, was an English musician and serial parliamentary candidate. He was the founder of the Official Monster Raving Loony Party and served as its leader from 1983 to 1999, during which time he stood in numerous parliamentary elections.

Born: 10 November 1940, Hampstead, London

Died: 16 June 1999.

He would be too normal for today's politics.

Ed

All is not lost. I see Lord Buckethead, Count binface and Yace, and Interplanetary Timelord Youngenstein...are all standing against Boris Johnson in Uxbridge & Ruislip.

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

You are right Boris more than makes up for the screamer RIP.

The scary thing is the screamer was only pretending to be deranged.

Ed

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

I do not know why the Queen has not used her ultimate powers that she has over whether we remain in or out of Europe. As informed from the 1970's and again within the last year, that when we went in to Europe, it was always stated and fact that the Queen could in fact take us out if she wished with or without Parliament approval. Enjoy the read below

The Queen could decimate the British political landscape by dissolving parliament and appointing anyone she felt like as prime minister. This is because it’s the Queen’s duty to appoint the prime minister and she could, in theory appoint anyone she wanted to the position, regardless of the way the British public voted in an election.

On top of that, in the event the Queen didn’t like the outcome of an election, for instance if she didn’t like the replacement parliament members voted in, she could just call for another one using Royal Prerogative until she got the parliament she wanted. Not that she’d need to, because she could just bring in the army to keep everyone in line if she so chose.

How? Well, the Queen is also the Commander-in-Chief of the entire British military with every officer, soldier, sailor and pilot swearing allegiance to the Crown and nobody else. They’re not called Her Majesty’s Armed Forces for nothing. Noted as being the “ultimate authority” on all British military matters, the Queen could authorise a nuclear strike on France or make North Korea an ally as she has the power to declare both war and peace with foreign nations.

As for laws, while technically the Queen can’t create new laws, as she can only sign them into law after they’re decided upon by parliament (in fact, her Royal Assent is required to make the law official after being passed by parliament in the first place), she could appoint ministers who’d make any laws she wanted a reality and then just sign them into law that way.

Beyond Royal Assent, there’s also the Queen’s consent, which requires she give her consent before any law that affects the interests of the monarchy can even be discussed at all in parliament. (She actually has used this power before, such as in 1999 when she refused to allow the discussion of a bill that would have given parliament power to authorize military strikes in Iraq, instead of needing her authorization.)

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Larrymc said:

I do not know why the Queen has not used her ultimate powers that she has over whether we remain in or out of Europe

You make a rather large assumption, that the Queen thinks leaving the EU would be a good idea. Is there any evidence anywhere that this is the case ?.

Edited by Kegsy

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
On 14/11/2019 at 15:08, Len said:

Although all valid points, let's keep this particular discussion light hearted / on the results.

As said, there is another thread running on the election 2019 (Link below)

Thanks.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Gonna keep the voting open until early next week - Thanks to all for taking part.

Have a good weekend folks.

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Had request to re-open this discussion again, so have done so, but please keep it on the results / not too 'heavy'. Not forgetting you can post more in depth views on the Election 2019 thread (Link below)

So, the Conservative's have been ahead throughout, closely followed by Labour, which I'm guessing will reflect the country's vote - I do think the Liberal (Democrats) will get more percentage of votes though.

I think the Brexit Party have lost their momentum, people thinking if they vote for them it will split the leave vote, and allow Jeremy Corbyn through.

Thanks for your votes so far.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
On 15/11/2019 at 13:03, Larrymc said:

I do not know why the Queen has not used her ultimate powers that she has over whether we remain in or out of Europe. As informed from the 1970's and again within the last year, that when we went in to Europe, it was always stated and fact that the Queen could in fact take us out if she wished with or without Parliament approval. Enjoy the read below

The Queen could decimate the British political landscape by dissolving parliament and appointing anyone she felt like as prime minister. This is because it’s the Queen’s duty to appoint the prime minister and she could, in theory appoint anyone she wanted to the position, regardless of the way the British public voted in an election.

On top of that, in the event the Queen didn’t like the outcome of an election, for instance if she didn’t like the replacement parliament members voted in, she could just call for another one using Royal Prerogative until she got the parliament she wanted. Not that she’d need to, because she could just bring in the army to keep everyone in line if she so chose.

How? Well, the Queen is also the Commander-in-Chief of the entire British military with every officer, soldier, sailor and pilot swearing allegiance to the Crown and nobody else. They’re not called Her Majesty’s Armed Forces for nothing. Noted as being the “ultimate authority” on all British military matters, the Queen could authorise a nuclear strike on France or make North Korea an ally as she has the power to declare both war and peace with foreign nations.

As for laws, while technically the Queen can’t create new laws, as she can only sign them into law after they’re decided upon by parliament (in fact, her Royal Assent is required to make the law official after being passed by parliament in the first place), she could appoint ministers who’d make any laws she wanted a reality and then just sign them into law that way.

Beyond Royal Assent, there’s also the Queen’s consent, which requires she give her consent before any law that affects the interests of the monarchy can even be discussed at all in parliament. (She actually has used this power before, such as in 1999 when she refused to allow the discussion of a bill that would have given parliament power to authorize military strikes in Iraq, instead of needing her authorization.)

Hence why I’m a republican. 

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

The USA is a republic.

Its hard to see anytime in recent history a monarch being any worse than Trump.

I've always believed in rule by committee, and casting vote by President, if called upon.

It's all about damage limitation when a egomaniacal sociopath gets in power, whatever their title.

Ed

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

In response... I never made the assumption that the Queen wants to leave, but she holds the ultimate power and could have stepped in at anytime and over ruled Parliament in taking the UK out instead of waiting for the politicians to decide on what to do in the name of the people or should I shall go against the majority vote. The Lib Dems should repeat to themselves the interview Paddy Ashdown made.....Along the lines of "We should honour the majority vote" Really!....Try telling that one to Jo Swinson

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Ok, so Labour very nearly neck and neck with The Conservatives.

Leaving this running for another 24 hours or so, then will close.

All the best,

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
On 18/11/2019 at 07:33, Len said:

Had request to re-open this discussion again, so have done so, but please keep it on the results / not too 'heavy'. Not forgetting you can post more in depth views on the Election 2019 thread ...clipped

18 minutes ago, Len said:

Ok, so Labour very nearly neck and neck with The Conservatives.

Leaving this running for another 24 hours or so, then will close.

All the best,

that was hard work Len

can't believe that after you asked 3 or 4 times for members  to keep the talk about the results we still got the above 'royal' posts!

anyway topic up here for tonight

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Ok folks, closing this now - So Labour have it!

Thanks for taking part.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Guest profile photo