How many records needed

Patto

Over the years seen many DJs arriving at venues with varying amounts of Records.Some turn up with half of their entire collection in a couple of wardrobe size boxes, while other arrive with a single 50 count box.Now an hours spot equates to around 20 records so even if you are 3rd DJ on and they have played 30 of your tunes you should only need 100 records to be safe.

Yes its nice to be prepared with lots of different tunes of different styles so you can adapt to the floor but surely you know the general music policy of where your DJing and the Promoter has booked you for a general type of playlist.

Sometimes on the stage there can be more records than Manships Warehouse stacked up lol

Any opinions and before you ask i take about 200  which is about right to get you through any set or is it too  many as like i said only 20ish get played.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

8 minutes ago, Len said:

If I was the 3rd DJ on and they have played 30 of my tunes - I would have a hard think as to why I was DJing full stop :wink:

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

Nice one Len yeah your right mate i was just thinking of the worst case scenario 😀

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Not just about the numbers... How many you can carry and the weight of the flight case enter the equation. 120 records in a two-channel case are fine for a couple of DJ spots. But if you DJ regularly or do two venues in an evening, you keep one larger case to avoid shuffling things around. No need for bodyguards when you carry a flightcase with a strong handle... On a security note, a case large enough to be seen and one that nobody can run off with, can be a wise choice.

Social source share

100ish - 24 played per hr spot on average - never really pre-plan as thats a recipe for frantic re-thinking - 50yrs behind the decks gives you a sense of sequencing / tempo changes and by definition held in box in style / tempo order. Experience also let's you know what works and what doesn't. Also been known to just arrive at specific venues with just a 30 count box and gone from front to back - don't get too many requests as most know what's coming or just want to be surprised / enjoy 

Edited by Vadnochka
Social source share

If you know the other DJs and what they normally play ,you can reduce the records down but a 100 or so normally covers it.

When you get home you always wished you had played some of the other tunes in your box.

I have a half an hour set to play this weekend so I will take the smallest box of about 50 only to play 14 tunes ,lol.

Edited by Bossfourpart1
grammer
Social source share

41 minutes ago, Frankie Crocker said:

No need for bodyguards when you carry a flightcase with a strong handle... On a security note, a case large enough to be seen and one that nobody can run off with, can be a wise choice.

I usually chain my box (locked) to something on the stage, table or something fixed. I like to think its a precaution that is unnecessary but just take a look at the sometimes 8 - 10 boxes on a stage at some venues and consider the value that could be there !!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

i learned a stark lesson..   Adelaide national weekender, 2017   i took a small box of 40  (only one set to play)  .  bearing in mind a huge box of records isn't logistically possible on a plane.   i got away with it, until the lad on before me played TWO of the records i took,   directly before my set. 

thankfully he turned 'modern' for the rest of his bit and i managed to spin my 20 odd tunes.      under normal circumstances,  i take as many as possible

Social source share

On 13/11/2019 at 20:13, Vadnochka said:

Lets be honest - there's some DJs out there that didn't have any sounds back in the day and still don't - thats why so many still play the same old play-list - it was always like that, regardless of venue.

Makes you wonder why some venues don’t provide a communal box for desparate DJ’s to dip into. Stick in Nolan Porter, Charles Sheffield, Ruby Andrews, Earl Grant,  Brown Sugar, Wade Flemons, Barbara Lynn and a few dozen more then this should save DJ’s humping around stacks of common ‘floor-fillers’.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!