Across the board

Tomangoes

6 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Is there a venue that plays truly across the board, is there a Dj?  Most play mainly northern, bit of funky stuff and a bit of northern sounding 2000s release and they think they are across the board.

the scope is too wide now to cater for everyone.

I think there's quite a few good dayers out there Chalky where you can hear a very wide spectrum soul from sweet/deep in the early hours through to crossover then northern to uptempo 60s/70s and even some soulful house on the odd occasion - granted these are few and far between but they are out there. As for DJ's that play across the board, it can be difficult to do or convey in a single spot but again at certain dayers I've heard various styles from different DJs depending at what time of day they are on.

Social source share

7 hours ago, Dave Girdwood said:

I think there's quite a few good dayers out there Chalky where you can hear a very wide spectrum soul from sweet/deep in the early hours through to crossover then northern to uptempo 60s/70s and even some soulful house on the odd occasion - granted these are few and far between but they are out there. As for DJ's that play across the board, it can be difficult to do or convey in a single spot but again at certain dayers I've heard various styles from different DJs depending at what time of day they are on.

So in the hours that matter it isn’t across the board? Sweet and deep, 60s and 70s I guess?  Crossover has always sat alongside the northern, long before it was crossover and beside most of it is well trodden 70s now.  Where is the modern, new releases?  It is impossible to please the whole club with a truly across the board set and you will simply end up with a divided room.

A one room paradise like we had late 70s and throughout the 80s will not work today. Yes some want it too but there isn’t enough to fill a small venue.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

11 minutes ago, Chalky said:

So in the hours that matter it isn’t across the board? Sweet and deep, 60s and 70s I guess?  Crossover has always sat alongside the northern, long before it was crossover and beside most of it is well trodden 70s now.  Where is the modern, new releases?  It is impossible to please the whole club with a truly across the board set and you will simply end up with a divided room.

A one room paradise like we had late 70s and throughout the 80s will not work today. Yes some want it too but there isn’t enough to fill a small venue.

There are also modern/new releases played as well but again all depends on who’s playing and where. You’re right though, you’re not going to please everyone but most folks I know appreciate that and appreciate others taste in music, at the end of the day some get it and some never will. 

Social source share

In its truest form it would need to cover virtually 60 years of musical styles with a common denominator of ' soul' in the mix.

My cynical sides says it's just a way of getting as many folks in as possible and playing one or two ska, r&b, northern, crossover, modern, and new stuff to keep everybody happy.

It's not for me.

I prefer a narrower selection, and where possible have multi rooms playing definitive styles.

The local free night obviously cannot do that, and since its free or a couple of quid entry, I guess the choices put up with it or stay away.

Ed

Social source share

6 minutes ago, Tomangoes said:

In its truest form it would need to cover virtually 60 years of musical styles with a common denominator of ' soul' in the mix.

My cynical sides says it's just a way of getting as many folks in as possible and playing one or two ska, r&b, northern, crossover, modern, and new stuff to keep everybody happy.

It's not for me.

I prefer a narrower selection, and where possible have multi rooms playing definitive styles.

The local free night obviously cannot do that, and since its free or a couple of quid entry, I guess the choices put up with it or stay away.

Ed

I don’t know of an across the board night.  Many claim it but in reality none are.

Like you say the scene is just to diverse now for it to ever work in its broadest sense.  But as an oldie or a newie, as it used to be then you can narrow it down.  But I would hazard a guess that those that want oldies don’t want the newies and vice versa.  In other words it will never work, even the new release most play are retro in sound and not what many would term modern soul. 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!