Mike profile photo

BBC Msm northern soul alert - The One Show tonite

Posted

for those who do...

 

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

here are here's the segment...

 

 

  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Thanks for posting Mike. An enjoyable little snippet. Always good to see Richard in his role of elder statesman. I just hope Strictly does not make a bigger thing of the Northern Dance cult as the programme continues to pervade popular culture.

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Good old Richard flying the flag! What a guy! 👍🏼

  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

I love John Bishops comments at the end and my wife has asked me if I can dig out my old threads, as she needs to sort out new curtains (for our back room) 😉

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
47 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

I love John Bishops comments at the end and my wife has asked me if I can dig out my old threads, as she needs to sort out new curtains (for our back room) 😉

She'll be asking for the needle off your deck too I expect! We women are sew predictable. 🙄☺️

  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

The towers a great venue but far too crowded in November. Nice clip though. 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
8 hours ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Thanks for posting Mike. An enjoyable little snippet. Always good to see Richard in his role of elder statesman. I just hope Strictly does not make a bigger thing of the Northern Dance cult as the programme continues to pervade popular culture.

I don't think it would take much imagination to know the dress code they would choose from a scene that been going for decades. 

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Another nail in the northern scene coffin  was bearable till Mr Bishop mentioned baggie flairs  

  • Up vote 5

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

All our yesterdays fancy dress.

  • Up vote 4

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
8 hours ago, Speedlimit said:

Another nail in the northern scene coffin  was bearable till Mr Bishop mentioned baggie flairs  

Ah ha, but he confessed he was right into Northern as a youth so I eagerly await further details of his favourite tunes and a dance-step demo... Yet another celeb claims they mingled with the chosen few. Come on John, show us your patches...

  • Up vote 4

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Vast majority are divs, the kinda folk we went to nighters to get away from.  Its a total parody of a once great scene and about as far removed from the proper scene as you can get. 

  • Up vote 20

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Why is it when I see stuff like this my toes curl and grab the carpet , bloody cringeworthy, anyway it reminds me why I will no longer attend events like that . I always end up thinking what my brother in law thinks who was a dresser and an OMD etc fan as I used to take the piss out of him . 

  • Up vote 3

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

What is all this serious stuff about for gods sake.i am 68 years old and have been doing this for 50 years,Weekenders are brilliant fun. 4 days away from home and having a drink,meeting loads of friends and listening to and dancing to all the records you hear at your local venue but in a huge room with hundreds of people all loving the same lifestyle.Last year me & the wife did Prestatyn.Blackpool Tower,Bridlington,Whitby,Weymouth&Skegness and they were all brilliant,great fun,getting a few drinks and meeting all our friends from all over the U.K.Long live the weekender, we love them and will be doing them all and more in 2020

  • Up vote 8

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Bang on ! ! CHALKY I AGREE 101% I'm just glad that someone who is respected on this site is able to tell the truth.when I have had my veiws I end up offending people and end up with a public warning when really I didn't mean any harm.i wanna go out now and again and mix with suitably dressed people listening to pure quality.expanding my enjoyment for the music which the likes of Bury town hall ,Rugby , Springfields ,Notts boat club ,Mansfield  (shirebrook) Leeds  (wardrobe) 100 club ,Grumpy soul .etc bring to the table.😎😎😎👍👌

  • Up vote 10

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)
On 16/11/2019 at 01:34, Phathom Janitor said:

Bang on ! ! CHALKY I AGREE 101% I'm just glad that someone who is respected on this site is able to tell the truth.when I have had my veiws I end up offending people and end up with a public warning when really I didn't mean any harm.i wanna go out now and again and mix with suitably dressed people listening to pure quality.expanding my enjoyment for the music which the likes of Bury town hall ,Rugby , Springfields ,Notts boat club ,Mansfield  (shirebrook) Leeds  (wardrobe) 100 club ,Grumpy soul .etc bring to the table.😎😎😎👍👌

👍the truth hurts some ...

Edited by Colnago

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
17 hours ago, Chalky said:

Vast majority are divs, the kinda folk we went to nighters to get away from.  Its a total parody of a once great scene and about as far removed from the proper scene as you can get. 

Harsh words Chalky. Your comments are misleading and far from the truth. The people attending the Blackpool Weekender are dedicated soulies, not the hangers-on you get at a Saturday night pub event. The dance floor is rammed with a young, yes young crowd, dancing as per the rule book, not like the pissed local hippies at a pre Wigan disco. The crowd are well turned out in smart, casual gear. Some of the folk have travelled from The States, and I bet there are other devotees from Europe too. Pretty much everyone there is a dedicated, dyed in the wool, hugely committed Northern Soul fan. The clips confirm the scene is in good health and in safe hands with a new generation of keen, young devotees flying the flag. Yes, we can all express doubts about dancing contests, but this one was not skewed by the more acrobatic as is usually the case (especially when the cameras are rolling).

The topic of ‘divs’ has been discussed at length on Soul Source - nobody fitting these descriptions is evident in the clips on You Tube or the One Show. Thanks again to Ralph for posting his clips and yar-boo-sucks to the person who told him to stop videoing the event.

  • Up vote 4
  • Disagree 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

All these "dedicated soulies" you mention.   Nowhere to be seen in the 80s , 90s, only found out about it when the internet came about. just a fancy dress night out for most . Mainstream entertainment. 

  • Up vote 8

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
45 minutes ago, Veedub said:

All these "dedicated soulies" you mention.   Nowhere to be seen in the 80s , 90s, only found out about it when the internet came about. just a fancy dress night out for most . Mainstream entertainment. 

Sorry mate your wrong. The tower weekend is far from a fancy dress night out more casual and plenty of younger people.  Chalky is a treasure and his knowledge is second to none but hes being harsh.

  • Up vote 3

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Chalky said:

Vast majority are divs, the kinda folk we went to nighters to get away from.  Its a total parody of a once great scene and about as far removed from the proper scene as you can get. 

This..............with bells on!

No idea exactly when the clown pants arrived on the scene but up until mid 70s after I got married and left the scene to raise a family they were more or less non existent and on a 60 something they look as daft as a full circle skirt and white ankle socks would  on my grannie! Dancers did wear wider pants because of the acrobatics but not one`s that would embarrass Krusty.

Edited by Steve Lane
  • Up vote 3

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
21 minutes ago, Steve Lane said:

This..............with bells on!

No idea exactly when the clown pants arrived on the scene but up until mid 70s after I got married and left the scene to raise a family they were more or less non existent and on a 60 something they look as daft as a full circle skirt and white ankle socks would  on my grannie! Dancers did wear wider pants because of the acrobatics but not one`s that would embarrass Krusty.

I am really struggling to spot many of  "The Young People" were they in a different room or having a lie down ? 🙂

 

1 hour ago, Leicester Boy said:

Sorry mate your wrong. The tower weekend is far from a fancy dress night out more casual and plenty of younger people.  Chalky is a treasure and his knowledge is second to none but hes being harsh.

 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

I've upvoted both Planesoul and Phantom Janitor's posts. They both list a number of events that cater for the broad church that enjoy soul music whether you like the 60's Tamla Motown and Top 500 or more esoteric, rare and underplayed sounds. There does seem to be enough events put on to keep all sides of the debate happy.

Peace.

  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

I think the "baggy pants" thing may have evolved from the  Karmann Ghia jeans phase in the early/mid 70s. I remember that there was a predeliction for the boys to wear scarves, knotted loosely while dancing.... too add dramatic effect. That's a photo of me in 73 or 74, playing with my mate's nephew.....look at the width of those jeans.

 

On a more serious note, whilst I agree with Karl and the Phantom Janitor in their general sentiments....I do think that there's room for everybody.

We have to bear in mind that the Top 500 records are the top 500 for good reasons, just as a lot of the Rare and underplayed are underplayed because they're crap and no one danced to them the first time around.

soul 20180923_093424

Edited by Dim
  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

I can't believe it ! CHALKY harsh ! Nah just truthful👍👍. And i take it those concern in defending these outfits,wear them day in day out 🤔🤔NO ! But everyone to their own opinion. MY OPINION. stafford in the 80's.guest dj Ady croasdell .up come the London Crewe dressed in smart classy clothing (not baggy pants etc.)with it they brought shear quality to the venue.as did the Scotland bus with Colin law, the walls brothers etc.the music had moved on.it was pure class.then after many years I ventured out locally. Met with baggy pants and trash.then I attend some of the venues previously mentioned.to find no baggy pants beer towels badges etc.but pure quality from the likes of Butch.soul Sam.andy Dyson .Mick h.roger banks.etc etc. So I think class & quality springs to mind. I rest my case.👍👍👍👍.

  • Up vote 3

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

My defence of the tower weekend has nothing to do with defending baggy pants😂 im definitely not into that look, but do get amused by how it angers people. Anyway the discussion is like a recurring dream/nightmare and no doubt it will resurface again later.

 

 

  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
15 hours ago, Steve Lane said:

This..............with bells on!

No idea exactly when the clown pants arrived on the scene but up until mid 70s after I got married and left the scene to raise a family they were more or less non existent and on a 60 something they look as daft as a full circle skirt and white ankle socks would  on my grannie! Dancers did wear wider pants because of the acrobatics but not one`s that would embarrass Krusty.

I started going around 85/86 and it was a full 15 odd years before I saw a pair of baggies. They were rare at first but now very common. 😂

  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
On 15/11/2019 at 09:12, Speedlimit said:

Another nail in the northern scene coffin  was bearable till Mr Bishop mentioned baggie flairs  

Another nail!!! Steve, I think that lid finally got nailed shut and the whole thing buried some years back 😁

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
9 hours ago, Leicester Boy said:

My defence of the tower weekend has nothing to do with defending baggy pants😂 im definitely not into that look, but do get amused by how it angers people. Anyway the discussion is like a recurring dream/nightmare and no doubt it will resurface again later.

 

 

Leicester Boys says "Anyway the discussion is like a recurring dream/nightmare and no doubt it will resurface again later".

My nightmare is waking up in cold sweat because my wife has sold my records for the price i told her i'd payed for them.

  • Up vote 3

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
On 16/11/2019 at 21:06, Dim said:

I think the "baggy pants" thing may have evolved from the  Karmann Ghia jeans phase in the early/mid 70s. I remember that there was a predeliction for the boys to wear scarves, knotted loosely while dancing.... too add dramatic effect. That's a photo of me in 73 or 74, playing with my mate's nephew.....look at the width of those jeans.

 

We have to bear in mind that the Top 500 records are the top 500 for good reasons, just as a lot of the Rare and underplayed are underplayed because they're crap and no one danced to them the first time around.

So are we saying the likes of the mello souls imperial c,s Jean Carter c/u Temptones c/u etc are crap?? Believe me there far more soulful than Gary Lewis, Wigan chosen few. And the likes , if I had a £1.oo for every time I've heard epitome of sound etc I'd be able to buy a football club. Any we'll leave it there. Everyone to their own. The scene we once knew is long gone. 

 

 

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Think it's time to lighten the mood lol 🤣

 

  • Up vote 3

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
17 hours ago, Rick Scott said:

Think it's time to lighten the mood lol 🤣

 

I have found a connection and maybe John was on about Waders not baggies

 

soul John

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

 Nice One, Love it, Nominations invited for who the other two members of his band could be (must be amongst the many who also claimed  they were into the northers soul before they were famous) Just for fun of course 😀 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Paul o, grady and Carol vordamin😂😂

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url

All About the SOUL - Source Forum

Jump into the northern soul music & beyond talk now!

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!
Log into Soul Source

Get max use of the forums

Log in now!

  1. [Video] 2011 - Northern Soul On Bbc Breakfast - Bbc
    All About the SOUL by Soul16 on Wed 30 Jul 2014
    • 1 / 337
    • Soul16 on 30 Jul 2014
  2. Northern Soul Monster Alert
    Record Sales by Guest randy on Tue 14 Feb 2017
    • 1 / 1011
    • randy on 14 Feb 2017
  3. Northern Offers...hedge Fund Disaster Alert
    Record Sales by souljazera on Tue 07 Oct 2008
    • 15 / 1323
    • souljazera on 09 Oct 2008
  4. News: Scenesville - April 12 - Quality Northern Event Alert!!
    All About the SOUL by Mike on Tue 26 Mar 2002
    • 1 / 234
    • mike on 26 Mar 2002
  5. Cheeky B****** Alert
    All About the SOUL by martyn on Thu 03 Mar 2005
    • 15 / 1614
    • jazzyjas on 08 Mar 2005
  6. Tune Alert
    Look At Your Box by Steve Plumb on Wed 24 Aug 2005
    • 43 / 3241
    • Coxy on 02 Nov 2005

Source Adverts



×
×
  • Create New...

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.