BBC Msm northern soul alert - The One Show tonite

Mike

47 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

I love John Bishops comments at the end and my wife has asked me if I can dig out my old threads, as she needs to sort out new curtains (for our back room) 😉

She'll be asking for the needle off your deck too I expect! We women are sew predictable. 🙄☺️

Social source share

8 hours ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Thanks for posting Mike. An enjoyable little snippet. Always good to see Richard in his role of elder statesman. I just hope Strictly does not make a bigger thing of the Northern Dance cult as the programme continues to pervade popular culture.

I don't think it would take much imagination to know the dress code they would choose from a scene that been going for decades. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

8 hours ago, Speedlimit said:

Another nail in the northern scene coffin  was bearable till Mr Bishop mentioned baggie flairs  

Ah ha, but he confessed he was right into Northern as a youth so I eagerly await further details of his favourite tunes and a dance-step demo... Yet another celeb claims they mingled with the chosen few. Come on John, show us your patches...

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Why is it when I see stuff like this my toes curl and grab the carpet , bloody cringeworthy, anyway it reminds me why I will no longer attend events like that . I always end up thinking what my brother in law thinks who was a dresser and an OMD etc fan as I used to take the piss out of him . 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

On 16/11/2019 at 01:34, Phathom Janitor said:

Bang on ! ! CHALKY I AGREE 101% I'm just glad that someone who is respected on this site is able to tell the truth.when I have had my veiws I end up offending people and end up with a public warning when really I didn't mean any harm.i wanna go out now and again and mix with suitably dressed people listening to pure quality.expanding my enjoyment for the music which the likes of Bury town hall ,Rugby , Springfields ,Notts boat club ,Mansfield  (shirebrook) Leeds  (wardrobe) 100 club ,Grumpy soul .etc bring to the table.😎😎😎👍👌

👍the truth hurts some ...

Edited by Colnago
Social source share

45 minutes ago, Veedub said:

All these "dedicated soulies" you mention.   Nowhere to be seen in the 80s , 90s, only found out about it when the internet came about. just a fancy dress night out for most . Mainstream entertainment. 

Sorry mate your wrong. The tower weekend is far from a fancy dress night out more casual and plenty of younger people.  Chalky is a treasure and his knowledge is second to none but hes being harsh.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

21 hours ago, Chalky said:

Vast majority are divs, the kinda folk we went to nighters to get away from.  Its a total parody of a once great scene and about as far removed from the proper scene as you can get. 

This..............with bells on!

No idea exactly when the clown pants arrived on the scene but up until mid 70s after I got married and left the scene to raise a family they were more or less non existent and on a 60 something they look as daft as a full circle skirt and white ankle socks would  on my grannie! Dancers did wear wider pants because of the acrobatics but not one`s that would embarrass Krusty.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

21 minutes ago, Steve Lane said:

No idea exactly when the clown pants arrived on the scene but up until mid 70s after I got married and left the scene to raise a family they were more or less non existent and on a 60 something they look as daft as a full circle skirt and white ankle socks would  on my grannie! Dancers did wear wider pants because of the acrobatics but not one`s that would embarrass Krusty.

I am really struggling to spot many of  "The Young People" were they in a different room or having a lie down ? 🙂

1 hour ago, Leicester Boy said:

Sorry mate your wrong. The tower weekend is far from a fancy dress night out more casual and plenty of younger people.  Chalky is a treasure and his knowledge is second to none but hes being harsh.

Social source share

I've upvoted both Planesoul and Phantom Janitor's posts. They both list a number of events that cater for the broad church that enjoy soul music whether you like the 60's Tamla Motown and Top 500 or more esoteric, rare and underplayed sounds. There does seem to be enough events put on to keep all sides of the debate happy.

Peace.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

I think the "baggy pants" thing may have evolved from the  Karmann Ghia jeans phase in the early/mid 70s. I remember that there was a predeliction for the boys to wear scarves, knotted loosely while dancing.... too add dramatic effect. That's a photo of me in 73 or 74, playing with my mate's nephew.....look at the width of those jeans.

On a more serious note, whilst I agree with Karl and the Phantom Janitor in their general sentiments....I do think that there's room for everybody.

We have to bear in mind that the Top 500 records are the top 500 for good reasons, just as a lot of the Rare and underplayed are underplayed because they're crap and no one danced to them the first time around.

soul 20180923_093424

Edited by Dim
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

I can't believe it ! CHALKY harsh ! Nah just truthful👍👍. And i take it those concern in defending these outfits,wear them day in day out 🤔🤔NO ! But everyone to their own opinion. MY OPINION. stafford in the 80's.guest dj Ady croasdell .up come the London Crewe dressed in smart classy clothing (not baggy pants etc.)with it they brought shear quality to the venue.as did the Scotland bus with Colin law, the walls brothers etc.the music had moved on.it was pure class.then after many years I ventured out locally. Met with baggy pants and trash.then I attend some of the venues previously mentioned.to find no baggy pants beer towels badges etc.but pure quality from the likes of Butch.soul Sam.andy Dyson .Mick h.roger banks.etc etc. So I think class & quality springs to mind. I rest my case.👍👍👍👍.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

15 hours ago, Steve Lane said:

I started going around 85/86 and it was a full 15 odd years before I saw a pair of baggies. They were rare at first but now very common. 😂

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 16/11/2019 at 21:06, Dim said:

I think the "baggy pants" thing may have evolved from the  Karmann Ghia jeans phase in the early/mid 70s. I remember that there was a predeliction for the boys to wear scarves, knotted loosely while dancing.... too add dramatic effect. That's a photo of me in 73 or 74, playing with my mate's nephew.....look at the width of those jeans.

We have to bear in mind that the Top 500 records are the top 500 for good reasons, just as a lot of the Rare and underplayed are underplayed because they're crap and no one danced to them the first time around.

So are we saying the likes of the mello souls imperial c,s Jean Carter c/u Temptones c/u etc are crap?? Believe me there far more soulful than Gary Lewis, Wigan chosen few. And the likes , if I had a £1.oo for every time I've heard epitome of sound etc I'd be able to buy a football club. Any we'll leave it there. Everyone to their own. The scene we once knew is long gone. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!