Peggy Gaines - When the boy on Ref-O-Ree.

Fishdockroad

Anyone know what year this was released?

Found the following snip-it on Discogs which answers the other question a friends been asking as to whether or not it's classed as a genuine release. Do people agree?

Not a Bootleg as many think.
Fred James at 'Bluesland', owners of 'Spar' and 'Ref-o-Ree', licensed 20 tracks to 'Goldsoul' which in turn were used to compile the now deleted CD title 'Golden Age of Northern Soul vol.2'
As a limited 45, 'Goldsoul' made 300 on the label's imprint Ref-o-Ree, which makes this release a bona fide issue.

Thanks.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

The recording could have been as early as 1969, around the time of her signing to Ref-o-ree, in fact I think i honed it down to this on the basis of other info I had. I tracked Peggy down for the Nashville book and still have her details, will ask her.

Edited by Windlesoul
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

15 minutes ago, Windlesoul said:

The recording could have been as early as 1969, around the time of her signing to Ref-o-ree, in fact I think i honed it down to this on the basis of other info I had. I tracked Peggy down for the Nashville book and still have her details, will ask her.

According to some sites only 300 copies were pressed

soul Peggy

• Up vote 2
Social source share

9 hours ago, Windlesoul said:

could also have been 1970 or 71 mark.. the issued 45 is 1970 by the looks of it

Social source share

9 hours ago, Windlesoul said:

What issued 45, David ? Just that  “Sweet way” etc was 1969 (could’ve been late ‘69) I think but happy to be proved wrong. There was a bit of gap between her previous labels / live scene in the local jazz clubs and moving to Ref-o-ree.

i just checked and youre right mark its mid 69 by the looks of it..and were assuming that that all her cuts were done around the same time.. i thought the label issues would be more evenly spaced out but nearly all the releases were late 68 thru to spring 1970..and not much issued after that

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Ady , put it out on the 100  club anniversary single years back and ref-o-ree followed later.

somewhere on a previous thread it was said they are both legit singles.

Peggy also did a cracking take of "One step"  on the soul train show (I believe) but no single release to my knowledge.

Lovely voice ....

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Bossfourpart1 said:

Ady , put it out on the 100  club anniversary single years back and ref-o-ree followed later.

Peggy also did a cracking take of "One step"  on the soul train show (I believe) but no single release to my knowledge.

Lovely voice ....

Here's a scan of the 1998 release, thanks for the info and it has been out again this year (second scan)

soul Peggy

soul Peggy 2019

• Up vote 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, Bossfourpart1 said:

Lovely voice ....

No release of "One Step Ahead" unfortunately (she performed it with the Hytones on Night Train , the Nashville TV show, circa '65).

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!