22ndsoul profile photo

Payment sent but no record

Posted (edited)

Does anyone have experience of buying from Discogs seller (soulment) AKA Kevin Laverty,payment taken f&f for a high value record 5 weeks ago,no contact since and record not shipped

Thank's

Edited by 22ndsoul

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

I have no experience of dealing with the person you mention, but I recall the name popping up recently on the Facebook group, The Vinyl Vigilante. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1484989138379594/

In checking, I see a number of members of that group have posted up with complaints about that person (dating back to 2016). Their complaints have garnered many comments from other buyers who state they have also had poor or bad experiences. One person in the group (and a Soul Source member - Steve Clancy) states they believe the seller might have recently had their Discogs account suspended.

I've no idea what's true and what's not, but it appears there are a lot of unhappy buyers out there.

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
25 minutes ago, 22ndsoul said:

Does anyone have experience of buying from Discogs seller (soulment) AKA Kevin Laverty,payment taken f&f for a high value record 5 weeks ago,no contact since and record not shipped

Thank's

I think that the link below from an old thread may be worth reading....

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

So he’s been ripping people off for at least 13 years !!!

unbelievable he’s got some front.

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

I hope your covered through pay pal matey. Ripping people off is something that makes me very, very angry...what an absolute tosser he is!!! Hopefully the folk on here can help you find out where he is and hopefully can get some legal action against him. If he's Canadian he is a bit far away for a smack round the head!! Good luck....Rob

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
19 minutes ago, Lionelonthevinyl said:

I hope your covered through pay pal matey. Ripping people off is something that makes me very, very angry...what an absolute tosser he is!!! Hopefully the folk on here can help you find out where he is and hopefully can get some legal action against him. If he's Canadian he is a bit far away for a smack round the head!! Good luck....Rob

Sad to say he steered me away from discogs and insisted on F&F payment !

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

What an absolute scrote kisser. I wish you good luck and fingers crossed you get your money back....Rob

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Kevin Laverty - Record dealer

If you're a serious stockpiler of rare records in Toronto, and especially if you have a taste for obscure reggae classics, you probably know Kevin Laverty. You might hate him because he refuses to cut you a deal on that West Indian disco oddity you've been searching for forever; you might love him because he was able to track it down for you. You don't find him DJing around town too often any more, but that hasn't slowed his record dealer business. When he's not shipping vintage vinyl around the world to buyers who contact him through his discogs page (discogs.com/seller/soulment), you can find him at Henry's Records (130 Shorting, 416-297-5585), hidden in the depths of a Scarborough industrial park.

Since his interests are in dusty old records, Laverty doesn't get too excited about the limited-edition discs that flood independent shops for Record Store Day. He's well aware, however, that they help lure new people into the vinyl addict world, fuelling collector culture. We visited Laverty at his Scarborough home (a veritable vinyl museum) and got the lowdown on his world-renowned collection.

First record you ever bought:

Sucker MCs, by Run DMC.

Most recent treasure you found:

Hard Man Fe Ded, by Prince Buster.

Last non-vintage record you bought:

I picked up a reissue of Beautiful Day, by Spider Harrison. The original is, like $1,200, so I don't think there's a high likelihood of my ever finding it.

Most valuable record:

Just Don't Love You, by the Carbon Copies, which sells in the healthy four figures.

Total size of collection:

If you count everything in the storage locker, my personal collection and all the stuff I have for sale, probably around 30,000.

What record are you still searching for?

I don't have a "want list." I'm just looking for a dope record that I've never heard before.

Is the vinyl resurgence a myth?

No, I definitely do see a lot more younger people interested in vinyl now when I'm out at the record fairs.

Do reissues hurt or help the crate-digger scene?

I'd say it's half and half. Some of the new collectors will just keep buying reissues, but the other half get introduced to the market that way, and it's more of an educational thing.

How did you get into selling records?

I could see money-making opportunities. I remember my friend had a copy of Audio Two's Top Billin', and he was the only guy in town with one. Other sound crews were offering him $150 for it because no one else had it. That really turned a light bulb on for me. Also, dealing records was a way of getting things I wanted that I couldn't buy. There are certain high-end records you can only get through barter. Nobody really sells those records, so you need something to trade. The real high-end dealers basically smoke their own product and just want to get more stuff for themselves

soul 963ACC13 5D03 4311 9406 ECF8D2D6B627

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Kevin Laverty
43 Guildcrest Drive
Scarborough, Ontario
Canada M1E 1E2
(416) 551-0688

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
4 hours ago, 22ndsoul said:

Thank's

https://www.cbcollections.com/

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Why pay using f&f to someone you don’t know?  Even more so with a high value item.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Report him to discogs saying you went through the site but was steered away.  You may be able to claim through your credit card company if that was used for payment 

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
22 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Report him to discogs saying you went through the site but was steered away.  You may be able to claim through your credit card company if that was used for payment 

2 hours ago, 22ndsoul said:

Sad to say he steered me away from discogs and insisted on F&F payment !

Did he remove the item from Discogs when selling, or did you create an actual order number ?

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
29 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Did he remove the item from Discogs when selling, or did you create an actual order number ?

Guy seemed legit,huge amount of records for sale on Discogs,knowledgeable, good communication but he has been reported,not just by me.Record removed from Discogs with no order number.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, 22ndsoul said:

Guy seemed legit,huge amount of records for sale on Discogs,knowledgeable, good communication but he has been reported,not just by me.Record removed from Discogs with no order number.

Let me contact my top man at Discogs and I will get back to you...... are you prepared to say what the record was and how much please (You can PM me if you wish it to be private)

Edited by Blackpoolsoul

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Hope you get this sorted Howard we all collect and buy from hopefully like minded people treated with trust, when something like this happens leaves a very very bad taste

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

this kind of thing undermines all the good sellers, had some refreshingly honest experiences with UK dealers over the last year, reason why if buying an expensive record I always go to a UK dealer

good luck getting this sorted out

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)
On 29/11/2019 at 05:19, Mister Fish said:

He's been at it again. A lot of people have been ripped off. https://m.facebook.com/groups/1484989138379594?view=permalink&id=2449898845221947

Bumped into someone last night at a soul do who has also been ripped off recently for a high value record 

The same seller Kevin Laverty

Edited by 22ndsoul

Share this forum post

soul source url

Freebasing - Source Forum

An off the soul beat lifestyle talk forum

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

1. Whoops.wrong Tune Sent Or Right Tune Not Sent
    Record Sales by Guest toaster on Sat 25 Dec 2010
    • 1 / 641
    • toaster on 25 Dec 2010
  2. Been Sent A Record I Didn't Order ? No Return Address
    Record Sales by bro on Wed 01 Apr 2009
    • 3 / 554
    • Rob Wigley on 02 Apr 2009
  3. Lifeline Weekender Payment
    All About the SOUL by Mike on Fri 15 Jul 2005
    • 10 / 1680
    • chalky on 30 Aug 2005
  4. Just Got An A Payment Reminder
    Look At Your Box by Pete S on Wed 04 Feb 2009
    • 5 / 576
    • CheltSoulNights on 07 Feb 2009
  5. Northern Soul 45 Sold On Ebay, No Payment After 3 Weeks, Then Given Negative By Buyer
    All About the SOUL by Britmusicsoulfan on Sun 09 Aug 2009
    • 9 / 815
    • Mick Holdsworth on 11 Aug 2009
  6. Selling For Mate - Immediate Payment Required
    Record Sales by Keithw on Mon 22 Nov 2010
    • 5 / 621
    • keithw on 25 Nov 2010

Source Adverts

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.