Simon T profile photo

Minidiscs RIP?

Posted

Reading about the resurgence of cassette tape and demise of CD, I was wondering if anyone still uses them or just like me has dozens of (non pre-recorded)  ones gathering dust?

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

I still use them, play them all the time in the house, and via minidisc Walkman in the car. A great format, really versatile. I think the players are still in production in the states by a company called Tascam, lots of radio stations still use the format. 

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
49 minutes ago, chas said:

, lots of radio stations still use the format. 

that's right, they use them for their 'jingles' don't they

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

I had a Sony portable minidisc player/recorder , thought they were great easy to record and edit and very portable the size of a beer mat , unfortunately with the onset of tinnitus I stopped using earphones for listening .

I kept it for a while but during a cupboard clean I threw it out with the discs a great format that never seem to take off which was a shame.

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

I have a full size hi-fi separates style Sony recorder/player, and a Sony portable recorder/player which sounds exactly the same as Shinehead's.  The latter no longer records though.

I still use the portable one for my radio drops on Starpoint, and I use the full size one to record those drops onto MD.

Got no pre-recorded MD's, but loads of recordable MD's lying around with various things on them.....and some blanks of course.

Before the days of doing my shows live, or the widespread use of MP3 files, I used to do my monthly Starpoint shows on MD and post them to the station in a jiffy bag! LOL  How times change!

Great format I thought! 👍

Cheers,

Mark R

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Still got mine and love it ! use it on holiday,record my vinyl using Audio Cleaning Lab software and vinyl deck etc. to do compilations.

only got 4 more blank discs though.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
21 hours ago, Smudger said:

only got 4 more blank discs though.

I've got loads of them tucked away somewhere, when you run out

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

you can still get them ebay and amazon new ones

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

I have a sony minidisc player. Still in the box never used if someone wants to make me a decent offer 😊

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url

Freebasing - Source Forum

An off the soul beat lifestyle talk forum

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

1. News: MiniDiscs - 21 years of almostness
    All About the SOUL by Mike on Tue 12 Feb 2013
    • 32 / 1576
    • BritMusicSoulFan on 30 Jul 2013

Source Adverts

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.