How Much Of Your Body Would You Give Up ?

Many years ago, a conversation at Albrighton was held amongst a group of us, I can remember Kenny Onions and John Pugh being there, maybe Chris Anderton and John Weston as well, the usual suspects anyway laugh.gif

Basically, the question was, how much of your body would you give up, to go back to Detroit in late 1966, armed with the knowledge you have now, and a sackful of Dollars ?

Detroit and 1966 can be changed to wherever and whenever you want. Imagine being in Washington "How many of those J D Bryant's on Shrine have you got ? Ten ? I'll take 'em"

I think we all agreed that the end of the little finger on your left hand was a quite acceptable body part to lose to make use of the Albrighton Time machine :yes:

So, come on then, how much of your body would you give up to go back in time ?

Social source share

• Replies 30
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Thought provoking stuff Dave - in theory easy question to answer but in reality how many of us would go through with it.. whistling.gif

Got me thinking though - if we could n did how many would have given into temptation n sold them in recent year's - would they still feel it was worth being armless... :yes:

Wonderful thought though - such is hindsight..

Karen

Social source share

Dave, I remember that conversation.....I think John said he would give up his brain to be back there....He`s been waiting for the time machine ever since!

I was never there but i always think you would be as well being at the record bar in Wigan circa 1975 armed with the knowledge you have now.

The thing is you would be back there and there would be so much shit to sort through, a lot of Uk collectors wouldn`t have the mentality or the patience to sort through all that stuff, they mostly like their records already sorted. I see the look on their face when they look at my 800 sales records and ask if its sorted into 70s, oldies, crossover.....they wouldn`t hack sorting through three dog night and Merle Haggard records!

Chris

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

DETROIT, CHICAGO, PHILLY, NEW YORK, DC, LA, SOMETIME IN LATE 68 WOULD BE WORTH AT LEAST A LEG. YA COULD HOP AROUND AND STILL FLICK THRU LOADS O' BOXES IN SEARCH O' THOSE PRECIOUS GEMS....IF ONLY :boxing: .

BRI.

At least a leg!

Well i have had the snip so i think that lot is worth at least a pair of male reproductive glands :thumbsup:

Steve J

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I've thought about this before. How would you make sure you had the right money and the right amount? You can't just take back a few thousand 2007 dollars, they wouldn't be legal tender. You'd have to make sure the money was waiting for you in the 60s, so you'd have to go back earlier and deposit some money to build interest maybe, or take back something you can sell, like gold or jewelry, or rob a bank back then?

To be honest i probably wouldn't go back to the 60s, i'd go back to 1980 or some time when many records were being uncovered by others. Saves a lot of work.

I've thought about this alot and soon my time machine will be complete... :thumbsup:

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Guest kid mohair

I've thought about this before. How would you make sure you had the right money and the right amount? You can't just take back a few thousand 2007 dollars, they wouldn't be legal tender. You'd have to make sure the money was waiting for you in the 60s, so you'd have to go back earlier and deposit some money to build interest maybe, or take back something you can sell, like gold or jewelry, or rob a bank back then?

To be honest i probably wouldn't go back to the 60s, i'd go back to 1980 or some time when many records were being uncovered by others. Saves a lot of work.

I've thought about this alot and soon my time machine will be complete... :thumbsup:

Vinyl for meat............ nah .

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

could loose some weight and go back to 1975 the golden age of Northern soul for Peterborough. There's me at the Phoenix soul club at Wirrina and wow just amazing to be there but as long as we can come back after it.

Imagine that for a time machine you are your age now, wear the same clothes and look the same etc but as soon as you walk in the room it's exactly as it was in the day you choose to go back and when you walk out it's back to how it is now.

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

Many years ago, a conversation at Albrighton was held amongst a group of us, I can remember Kenny Onions and John Pugh being there, maybe Chris Anderton and John Weston as well, the usual suspects anyway :thumbsup:

Basically, the question was, how much of your body would you give up, to go back to Detroit in late 1966, armed with the knowledge you have now, and a sackful of Dollars ?

Detroit and 1966 can be changed to wherever and whenever you want. Imagine being in Washington "How many of those J D Bryant's on Shrine have you got ? Ten ? I'll take 'em"

I think we all agreed that the end of the little finger on your left hand was a quite acceptable body part to lose to make use of the Albrighton Time machine :D

My Balls , For What Use They Are To Me These days :lol:

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

Dear Soul fans

Please be aware of a scam that is going around the internet.

If you are approached by a large seemingly genuine gentleman with a northern accent who offers you the chance to return to the 1960s in a time machine exercise extreme caution. I was completely taken in by this heartless charlatan and have lived to regret it.

I have only recently started to get over that horrendous experience and am now rebuilding my life thanks to the support of family and my newfound friends Leo, Carole, Jermaine, Danielle, Jo, H, Dirk, Cleo, Donny and Ken.

Yours sincerely

Jackiey

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
Guest mel brat

So, come on then, how much of your body would you give up to go back in time... ?

Too late Dave. It appears that my body seems to have given up on ME! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Is this a new take on these two classics, perchance?

H. Jean Wells - 'The Time Machine' (CALLA)

'The Time Machine' is deservedly considered a Rare-Soul classic. In it, Wells sings about the intriguing world of the 'Morlocks' and the 'Eloi', based on the dual concepts of human and social evolution.

In this future world, the long-term dangers of an exaggerated record collection, in which the "have nots" are oppressed by the "haves," become apparent. In Wells's recording, as expressed by the time traveller, exploitation of the original recording artists produces a race of subhuman Record Dealers, while years of self-indulgence and dependence lead to the moral degradation of the collector....

'The Merchant of Vinyl' - Act III, scene I

Sly-Look (a Venetian record hunter)

Hath not an original record a stamped matrix? Hath not an original

record pretty labels, a centre hole, vinyl, run-out groove; is it not handled

with the same care, burn't with the same worn stylus, subject

to the same scratches, clean'd by the same cloth,

warp'd and cool'd by the same winter and summer

as a bootleg record is? If you step on our records, do we not wail?

If you scratch them, do we not moan? If you refuse to sell to us,

do we not grumble? And if you rip-us off, shall we not revenge?

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest CapitolSC

Is this a new take on "The Merchant of Vinyl"? Imagine:

Shy-Look (a Venetian record collector)

"Hath not a rare record sound? Hath not a rare record labels, a hole,

vinyl, matrix code, run-out groove; handled with

the same care, burn't with the same damaged stylus, subject

to the same scratches, clean'd by the same cloth,

warp'd and cool'd by the same winter and summer

as a bootleg record is? If you step on our records, do we not wail?

If you scratch them, do we not moan? If you refuse to sell to us,

do we not grumble? And if you rip-us off, shall we not revenge?"

Act III, scene I

:thumbsup: Verily etc

Social source share

Many years ago, a conversation at Albrighton was held amongst a group of us, I can remember Kenny Onions and John Pugh being there, maybe Chris Anderton and John Weston as well, the usual suspects anyway :yes:

I think we all agreed that the end of the little finger on your left hand was a quite acceptable body part to lose to make use of the Albrighton Time machine :no:

:thumbsup: Verily etc

Failing this, I'd like a Time Machine back to Soul Bowl in the 70's, they had everthing ..... & More. :thumbsup:

Or Thorne in the 80's, 90's

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Many years ago, a conversation at Albrighton was held amongst a group of us, I can remember Kenny Onions and John Pugh being there, maybe Chris Anderton and John Weston as well, the usual suspects anyway :lol:

I think we all agreed that the end of the little finger on your left hand was a quite acceptable body part to lose to make use of the Albrighton Time machine :yes:

Good God Dave is that honestly what you lot used to talk about up "the famous Dave Rimmer corner" then??? no wonder us ladies never went near there very often .. - weirdos!!! :yes::thumbsup:

I was going through some pics yesterday from there when I came across the ones from the "St Trinians" night,Johnny Weston posing at the bar in his satin thong. :yes: ..fun times , sadly missed:-))))

Lin

xxxx

Social source share

Good God Dave is that honestly what you lot used to talk about up "the famous Dave Rimmer corner" then??? no wonder us ladies never went near there very often .. - weirdos!!! :yes::thumbsup:

I was going through some pics yesterday from there when I came across the ones from the "St Trinians" night,Johnny Weston posing at the bar in his satin thong. :yes: ..fun times , sadly missed:-))))

Lin

xxxx

Oh yes, we used to have some scintillating conversations in that corner. I think the funniest was the Lea Manor after the minibus trip to the 100 Club.

To give the background, John Pugh had organised a mini bus full of the West Midlands finest to venture down to London.

A good night was had by all and we piled into the minibus for the journey home. The usual fun and games ensued with the driver deciding on a rather eccentric route to find some toilets. After threats from Carl that went along the lines of "If you don't pullover now I;m gonna piss on you !" the driver actually took it seriously. Miraculously round the next corner was a layby, outside a cemetary, with some toilets. It was like a scene from the Keystone Cops with fifteen blokes fighting each other to get off the bus and into the toilets first ! The lady selling flowers face was a picture !

However, I digress, prior to this Johnny Weston (It had to be John didn't it) had bought a coffee and was sitting holding it in his lap, just as a bag fell off the rack above him, knocking scalding coffee all over his crutch. Much screaming and hopping about followed from John, to a background of hysterical laughter from the rest of us.

The classic micky take took place though when John Pugh turned up at the the Manor with an empty coffee cup and a packet of Hob Knob biscuits, but the packaging on the biscuits had been slightly doctored so it read Hot Knob biscuits. Again, much hysterical laughter from everyone except poor Johnny Weston !

You're right, they were good times.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Failing this, I'd like a Time Machine back to Soul Bowl in the 70's, they had everthing .....

Oooh! Yes they sure did! (If you were quick enough!) Probably easier in the long run than "Going Back To Detroit" though! :lol:

Social source share

Guest mel brat

hysterical laughter from everyone except poor Johnny Weston... !

You're right, they were good times.

Poor John! :wicked: Didn't he bugger up some very valuable records with a duff stylus one time too? (Agggh!) :lol:

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Yeah. He hired some equipment for a Soul night he put on in Brum. One of the arms didn't have a weight on the other end, so the stylus cut it's own groove.

Yes, that's what Mickey told me. Everybody's nightmare huh? Happened to me once with some nice Northern tunes and a crappy home stereo. Been paranoid over styluses ever since! :wicked:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!