Record Flattening Service

Mikehump

Hello all

I've a couple of vinyl 45's that have warps. Nothing sharp - just slow ups and downs.

I've seen all the DIY suggestions but I wondered if anyone has used/has feedback one (of the several) people who offer a 

flattening and cleaning service? I'd say it was 4-5mm across each disc.

Lynn Johnson -Wicked Woman and June Bateman - Possum Belly Overalls, not mega valuable but worth a go?

Any thoughts welcomed.

MikeHump

Social source share

Guest Shufflin

it's a bit of a 'snake oil' thing this fixing warped records, (not referring to JM video which is enjoyable), nothing really works short of storing your records properly

Social source share

• 3 months later...

Some of the "remedies" I've seen on You Tube fill me with horror. Placing a vinyl disc in the oven. What could possibly go wrong? Cleaning with wood glue, washing up liquid or WD40? If you're daft enough to try these crazy "cures" then I have a cure for Corona Virus, only £50 + pp for a 1litre bottle!

Social source share

On 29/11/2019 at 18:03, MikeHump said:

Thanks for the feedback. I've taken the plunge and sent them off.

By chance it was to 21stcenturyobjects too.

When they come back i'll let you know the result.

Mike 

Have you got them back yet?

More importantly did it work?

Social source share

17 hours ago, Tobytyke said:

17 hours ago, Tobytyke said:

Have you got them back yet?

More importantly did it work?

Yes, got them back. Have been meaning to give some feedback. Overall the result was good, the US vinyl records were much improved. Just a little wobble but NAP. Prior to flattening they were only playable with a weight on the arm. 

The most impressive was a copy of Lisa Stansfield 8-3-1. I bought it new and it was like a banana when it arrived, completely unplayable. I added it to the batch out of interest as it was single sided and quite a thin pressing. Came back transformed. Again a very tiny wobble but it plays a treat now. 

Mike 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!