Dave Moore

• Replies 8
  • Views 799
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

30 minutes ago, Dave Moore said:

Just noticed that my last couple of purchases on Discogs have incurred sales tax.

Anyone else experienced that or is Uncle Sam just picking on me? 😉 

Dave 

I've been paying sales tax on eBay for around 3 months now, maybe longer.

I thought it was because I used a NJ address for my buys off US eBay.

Social source share

7 hours ago, Dave Moore said:

Just noticed that my last couple of purchases on Discogs have incurred sales tax.

Anyone else experienced that or is Uncle Sam just picking on me? 😉 

Dave 

I guess you mean that items are custom value more expensive and that often means you pay tax at the door when the postman knocks

Good point to raise as US is getting more keen to collect from both sellers and buyers

It's just another bunch of "intelligent" folks sitting and thrashing out ideas in an office somewhere, as to how they can chip away and away at raising more tax for the rich, where is Robin Hood when you need him most

Just one point to mention and it has been raised before I think

I sold a £200 record and insured it as such, but when it got damaged was told that I would only get it's cost price returned (I think I paid £2 in 1979) so the question has to be (and of course I am not advising tax evasion) why bother filling in the retail amount on a customs form when that is the case and will reduce the tax paid by the customer (food for thought when you buy a record and talk to the seller)

It's a little unfair that the tax authorities and insurance companies for shipping companies don't match

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

2 hours ago, Chalky said:

Is this sales tax just through US ebay and those who use a US address? UK etc sellers not affected?

That's what I was wondering.

As R/R said US buyers are paying sales tax. I am too as I use DW's address in NJ. Not sure on UK buyers but easy enough to check latest payment by PayPal if you bought off US eBay and delivered to a UK address.

To B/Soul I wouldn't have thought it makes any difference to customs charges over here. For me it's a small extra expense balanced against postage costs which are say 40% cheaper sending via DW rather than direct to me.

If UK buyers with a UK address are not charged sales tax then no idea why DM gets charged in Spain. He lived in USA for a while. Old info held by eBay ?

Edited by Modernsoulsucks
Social source share

I think it's just US buyers who are being hit at the minute. Lots of my purchases are sent to a mate's address in the US and then consolidated into larger packages and despatched to UK. (Same as Rod's set up). 

So... it appears that the UK deliveries are safe from that sales tax (at the minute).  

Best,

Dave 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!