Ian Parker profile photo

Lulu

Posted

I may open a can of worms here..... when do you think we will hear this at Soul Do’s?

( I’m in pub and it came on jukebox)

i just heard it and thought immediately of Petula Clark’s‘ I couldn’t live without your love’ 😳.   Ive heard PC Loads whilst out (seriously) .   So can somebody tell me why one should be played (I can’t think of any good reason), but not the other ? 
  Believe me, Petula Clark gets requested and played . 😳

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

have another beer and pretend you never heard it

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

A bit OT but about Lulu.

She was on at Pride in Manchester. Clare, my wife, was on stage with her interpreting for the deaf in the audience. 

Geoff Buckley, well known Detroit collector and respected dj [so he tells me] has, to his eternal shame, an album by her [that's Lulu, not the wife - the wife can't sing.... or cook...… or tidy up after herself and today she's lost one of my socks which tbh is very annoying]. I digress. 

Anyway GB wants the album signed by Lulu [so he can later put it in a JM auction ?] and Clare agrees. It contains the track "Leave a little love". We prime Clare with the info that it's a cover version of Patti Austin [which I now think is wrong actually as writer is Les Reed who is English so maybe Lulu was first and I shoulda checked instead of listening to that so-called collector and two-bit dj]. I digress.

So Clare meets up with Lulu before she appears on stage and gets her to autograph the sleeve whilst passing on the interesting titbit concerning Austin. 

"I'm a good friend of Patti Austin and she's never recorded this song"  

According to Clare she was rather put out and a bit of a diva.

Good job Clare didn't bring up the Isley Brothers.

Edited by Modernsoulsucks
  • Up vote 4

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

speaking as a mere pleb, always loved the soul authenticity of Dusty and Kiki Dee

Edited by Shufflin
can't spell
  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Lulu's Leave A Little Love was definitely first-Patti Austin's was the US cover

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Best voice for female British singer was Julie Grant

ML

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

I'd rather hear this one but I prefer Lulu's version of Leave A Little Love 

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
11 hours ago, Modernsoulsucks said:

A bit OT but about Lulu.

She was on at Pride in Manchester. Clare, my wife, was on stage with her interpreting for the deaf in the audience. 

Geoff Buckley, well known Detroit collector and respected dj [so he tells me] has, to his eternal shame, an album by her [that's Lulu, not the wife - the wife can't sing.... or cook...… or tidy up after herself and today she's lost one of my socks which tbh is very annoying]. I digress. 

Anyway GB wants the album signed by Lulu [so he can later put it in a JM auction ?] and Clare agrees. It contains the track "Leave a little love". We prime Clare with the info that it's a cover version of Patti Austin [which I now think is wrong actually as writer is Les Reed who is English so maybe Lulu was first and I shoulda checked instead of listening to that so-called collector and two-bit dj]. I digress.

So Clare meets up with Lulu before she appears on stage and gets her to autograph the sleeve whilst passing on the interesting titbit concerning Austin. Lulu isn't amused.

😂😂

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
9 hours ago, Michael V said:

Lulu's Leave A Little Love was definitely first-Patti Austin's was the US cover

From now on you are my go-to-guy !

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

I really, really love Lulu's dress! I want one 😲.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
2 minutes ago, Flamingemeralds said:

I really, really love Lulu's dress! I want one 😲.

Would it go with your La'me handbag for dancing around 🤣🤣🤣

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Nothing against Lulu but To Sir With Love getting plays- NO NO and thrice NO, dreary song and a bit creepy.,same goes for Petula Clark.

Lulu has a fairly good version of You'll Never Leave Her that could just about get plays as a beat ballad type thing.

A UK recording but produced by Bert Berns on a trip over here. 

Edited by Rick Cooper
  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
7 hours ago, Modernsoulsucks said:

From now on you are my go-to-guy !

Thanks-you're welcome! I should have said Patti Austin's Leave A Little Love was one of a couple of US covers-I forgot about another nice cover by Tambi Garret(I really love  that name 'Tambi' -if I ever have a daughter,even if a bit unlikely now,I think I'll call her Tambi- on Ascot (UA subsidiary) in 66'. Tambi was an attractive redhead from Florida who was a polio survivor-little else is known about her;there is one known photo.She made a handful of 45's,Leave a Little Love being the last and her activities and whereabouts since are unknown

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Yes, I've seen that 45 in the past.

According to GB it came out on the Detroit Stag label as Bambi Garrett but I just think he's just being silly now.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, Rick Cooper said:

Nothing against Lulu but To Sir With Love getting plays- NO NO and thrice NO, dreary song and a bit creepy.,same goes for Petula Clark.

that was my point.....    why is this sort of uk pop music getting played on the (Northern) 'Soul' scene? 

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Deffo same songs - Patti edges it for me 👍👍  Lulu's version is nothing to "SHOUT" about  🙄😜

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

If there was ever an overachiever it was Lulu nothing personal , but I remember in 1964 her version of Shout and thinking this is terrible , after the Isleys version  it was just the same listening to Brian Poole singing Do you Love Me and Twist and shout after the Contours and Isley version, It was a time1963 to 65 when they and other British artists  stole a living by watering down original music

ML

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
On 30/11/2019 at 23:32, Modernsoulsucks said:

A bit OT but about Lulu.

So Clare meets up with Lulu before she appears on stage and gets her to autograph the sleeve whilst passing on the interesting titbit concerning Austin. 

I'm terribly sorry to hear about your sock.

Please up-date us of any developments as this story unfolds.

Thanks,

A very concerned Len :thumbsup:

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Hiya, re - sock. I have some spares in my collection if you're interested, cheers

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

After a thorough and painstaking search I found my sock down by the side of the bed. Unwashed !

I don't think I'm being unreasonable when I say she shouldn't be wearing my socks without my permission, nor when having lost my sock should she regard the loss as some trivial matter and deny any culpability, treating the whole thing in a frivolous manner. The whole situation was made worse as she'd not got me a crunchie when she'd gone shopping despite my explicit instructions.

No doubt she will buy me some socks for Xmas [as if I've not told her often enough I want Al Williams on Palmer] but I think that would just be rubbing salt in the wounds.

I don't see why I should foot the bill for missing socks and from now on I'll be keeping her on her toes.

• Up vote 3

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Hiya, she sounds out of control.  Regarding my offer, I've just noted that some of collection have been booted, cheers

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
45 minutes ago, Len said:

I'm terribly sorry to hear about your sock.

Please up-date us of any developments as this story unfolds.

Thanks,

A very concerned Len :thumbsup:

19 minutes ago, Pga1 said:

Hiya, she sounds out of control.  Regarding my offer, I've just noted that some of collection have been booted, cheers

Could you please check the boots for the missing sock. 

Steve 

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Personally think its a decent song but at a ns event no thanks. 

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

I've heard this played once, I know it's a pop song but I absolutely love it so didn't give a toss, it's brilliant. 

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
20 minutes ago, Timillustrator said:

I've heard this played once, I know it's a pop song but I absolutely love it so didn't give a toss, it's brilliant. 

Everybody to their own but that boat should have been sunk years ago , No offence you like it you like it

ML

• Up vote 3

Share this forum post

soul source url

Freebasing - Source Forum

An off the soul beat lifestyle talk forum

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

1. Rhythm Machine "put A Smile On Time" (lulu)
    Record Sales by Guest cC B on Wed 27 Oct 2004
    • 2 / 950
    • cC B on 12 Nov 2004
  2. Jonny Dollar On End, Lulu Reed + Freddie King
    Record Sales by J I M on Fri 19 Aug 2005
    • 1 / 474
    • J I M on 19 Aug 2005
  3. Dean Barlow "third Window..." Donald Jenkins, Lulu Reed & More
    Record Sales by J I M on Wed 19 Oct 2005
    • 1 / 517
    • J I M on 19 Oct 2005
  4. Rhythm Machine "put A Smile On Time" Lulu £500
    Record Wants by Guest sigher the gutter snype on Wed 08 Mar 2006
    • 8 / 809
    • sigher the gutter snype on 09 Mar 2006
  5. Alvin Green & Green Fire The Sun Shines On Lulu
    Record Sales by Guest indiana_funk on Thu 01 Feb 2007
    • 4 / 923
    • indiana_funk on 01 Feb 2007
  6. Calvin Turner "after All " On Lulu And More
    Record Sales by Guest indiana_funk on Tue 06 Mar 2007
    • 1 / 825
    • indiana_funk on 06 Mar 2007
  7. Lulu - Stop Fooling Around
    Look At Your Box by Ian Seaman on Tue 05 Feb 2008
    • 86 / 4168
    • the dukester on 12 Feb 2008

Source Adverts

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.