Articles: Bletsoe to the Wheel and Back.... Norman Rogers Book Review

Dim

• 2 months later...

Dim, its pouring here, in Barton Mills, so l thought I would indulge just for a mo, and picked up Normans book, sitting on my table. Of course too young for most other than Bletsoe, but it was surreal seeing one of the pics taking in my childhood parents nicotine, sitting room, just as ive always said, not a fantasy lol twas there I first heard going to a happening Tommy Neal, and then the Elgins lp UK of course lol so hard to find then. Love ya write ups, like Winston RIP, you have the gift pf putting a great message over, right where are my full stops like, love and peace and thanks for all you do, for the scene xxx

• Up vote 2
Social source share

20 hours ago, Smileys said:

Dim, its pouring here, in Barton Mills, so l thought I would indulge just for a mo, and picked up Normans book, sitting on my table. Of course too young for most other than Bletsoe, but it was surreal seeing one of the pics taking in my childhood parents nicotine, sitting room, just as ive always said, not a fantasy lol twas there I first heard going to a happening Tommy Neal, and then the Elgins lp UK of course lol so hard to find then. Love ya write ups, like Winston RIP, you have the gift pf putting a great message over, right where are my full stops like, love and peace and thanks for all you do, for the scene xxx

Derek.. Cheers mate, 

Social source share

On 26/02/2020 at 11:52, Kevinkent said:

No problem. Memories of The George at Wilby etc, etc, need revitalising but there's no rush. 

My grandfather was Big Bob Knight who owned the Nags Head in Wollaston. He did multiple do's at the George some weeks if you remember. Other clubs Big Bob did included: Wicksteed park (actually started wicksteed by getting their music license for them), Blisworth Motel, The Railway Club and the Corn Exchange. There were other venues but i cant remember them.

My dad actually now owns the site in Bletsoe which he bought in the late 80's 

Edited by Finley
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

4 hours ago, Finley said:

My grandfather was Big Bob Knight who owned the Nags Head in Wollaston. He did multiple do's at the George some weeks if you remember. Other clubs Big Bob did included: Wicksteed park (actually started wicksteed by getting their music license for them), Blisworth Motel, The Railway Club and the Corn Exchange. There were other venues but i cant remember them.

My dad actually now owns the site in Bletsoe which he bought in the late 80's while he was running the rave scene in that area. 

Hi Finley, and welcome to Soul Source. 

Big Bob was a great local character and I was saddened to hear of his passing some years back. I don't recall him having any involvement with Wilby though, nor was I aware of do's at Wicksteed Park (sometimes slept there if I was unsuccessfully thumbin' it back from Corby). That said, I left Northants in '71 when I joined the army, so maybe we're talking different times.  Living at Moulton I was the right side of Northampton to visit the Nags occasionally with school mates and it was my intro to music venues. Then we moved to Roade and Friday night at the Blisworth Hotel became a regular outing. I wouldn't class either as Rare Soul venues but they were fun. When I left home at 16 I was thirsting for more. That's when I discovered Wilby, Earls Barton and the land of niters. That's why I have to read this book.

- Kev

Edited by Kevinkent
Messed up the emoji
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

Welcome Finlay, I think Norman may well bring out part 2 so make sure you keep in contact, and im sure folks like Kevinkent, lots have been in touch, Something unique about Bletsoe lol always got lost :} and at our reunion 4 years ago I set of from Nottingham after a dj spot, supposed to be 1 hour plus 15 minutes.....took me 3 plus 30 minutes lol def something amiss my sat nav kept going mad lol maybe the ol souls no longer with us, having a bit of fun xxx Got there 4am wish, and this is where I got to know Winston Heath RIP , a very wise man indeed, Winston was amazed about the older all night scene, he did a great write up, which is on here. Although a short time we really became great mate, the Div and Winston a great combo lol xxx

Social source share

On 26/02/2020 at 23:20, Kevinkent said:

Hi Finley, and welcome to Soul Source. 

Big Bob was a great local character and I was saddened to hear of his passing some years back. I don't recall him having any involvement with Wilby though, nor was I aware of do's at Wicksteed Park (sometimes slept there if I was unsuccessfully thumbin' it back from Corby). That said, I left Northants in '71 when I joined the army, so maybe we're talking different times.  Living at Moulton I was the right side of Northampton to visit the Nags occasionally with school mates and it was my intro to music venues. Then we moved to Roade and Friday night at the Blisworth Hotel became a regular outing. I wouldn't class either as Rare Soul venues but they were fun. When I left home at 16 I was thirsting for more. That's when I discovered Wilby, Earls Barton and the land of niters. That's why I have to read this book.

- Kev

Wicksteed was a bit different then, he actually got them their music license back in 68'. He played lots of mod stuff and Motown but mostly what people asked for because it was popular! I've got his records now, about 5000 of them, lots of rare stuff in there.

Edited by Finley
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!