Black & Blue - ‘Of all the hearts to break’ on GAME

Paul Capon

Anyone

I’ve been contacted by a Barbara Durham in the USA who’s husband sang on a version of Black & Blue - ‘ Of all the hearts to break’ on GAME.

She was hoping that my sales copy of the test pressing was the version he was on but after I sent her a copy it turns out it wasn’t him. 

I see there are a couple of label variations and my test press out there which I believe are all the same version. Does anyone know of an alternative take? I would dearly love to get a copy to him if there is.

This is the known version

My test press (£27 if anyone wants it)

I also sent her a copy of the Mercury 45 what I got/ Miss Anne but it sounds like the same singer anyway. 
Please let me know.

soul 93638CE9 2F09 4239 966B 2F501DBA5106

Social source share

There is another version of this song. Several years ago on the Essential Modern Soul site a guy used to post a mix of tunes and included the other version, but as per usual I can't remember the name of the group. I do remember that I preferred the Black & Blue version.  Could the lady be confused about which group her husband belonged to?

Social source share

1 hour ago, Alan T said:

Anything to do with The Deceptions version ?

Thanks - I’ve mailed her the link. I’ll post her response

52 minutes ago, Geoff said:

I didn't see the post above mine, may well be the one I refer to.

Thanks - I’ve mailed her the link. I’ll post her response

Social source share

On 04/12/2019 at 11:03, Alan T said:

Anything to do with The Deceptions version ?

As much as I always find it interesting to live, ear and learn (intellectually) past beyond my opinions and taste (moral and passion), I still find the Deceptions version way too weak and pale in comparison. Where the Black & Blue on Game are there rock and solid on every side; POWER record !

Edited by Tlscapital
Social source share

I agree - I didn’t know The Deceptions version so I Tubed it - their version lacks depth - B&B is the better. 
PS I got a reply

No, he was with Black & Blue for sure. My understanding is he left the group, and they replaced the vocal track. His name is Archie Durham. 

Any more info or a copy of that elusive alternative take of B&B anyone? I wonder if there is an acetate somewhere in the world?

Social source share

On 04/12/2019 at 10:13, Geoff said:

There is another version of this song. Several years ago on the Essential Modern Soul site a guy used to post a mix of tunes and included the other version, but as per usual I can't remember the name of the group. I do remember that I preferred the Black & Blue version.  Could the lady be confused about which group her husband belonged to?

It could well of been Peace Justice and Equality that her husband was a member of, as that is the other cut of the 45. This came on Stone gold records which I had allways assumed was Goldstones logo, hense the switchig on the surname. Daniel Goldstone also cut this solo on a mini lp. There may be info on discogs regarding the members of the above group.

Andy

• Up vote 1
Social source share

25 minutes ago, Still Diggin said:

It could well of been Peace Justice and Equality that her husband was a member of, as that is the other cut of the 45. This came on Stone gold records which I had allways assumed was Goldstones logo, hense the switchig on the surname. Daniel Goldstone also cut this solo on a mini lp. There may be info on discogs regarding the members of the above group.

Andy

There is

A three piece vocal group from Richmond, Virginia, USA consisting of Hugh R. Wilkes, Qunicy R. Lee and leader Daniel Goldstone.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

OK, so my guess is that it's Daniel Goldstone on lead with the Deceptions version on Brooks where while at it he also takes the composer's credit. Where the Black & Blue copies credit a Duke Hall for the composition. Likely some copyright/ownership issue came here as to who the song truly belongs to.

The Black & Blue single on Mercury is a also "Game Productions" involving Duke Hall and dates from 1970. So likely very close and seemingly pre-dating their small success with 'of all the hearts' on Game. Where the Deceptions single given date is 1972 (Discogs open source entry) and the following materials of Sire Goldstone all post 1972...

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Tlscapital said:

OK, so my guess is that it's Daniel Goldstone on lead with the Deceptions version on Brooks where while at it he also takes the composer's credit. Where the Black & Blue copies credit a Duke Hall for the composition. Likely some copyright/ownership issue came here as to who the song truly belongs to.

The Black & Blue single on Mercury is a also "Game Productions" involving Duke Hall and dates from 1970. So likely very close and seemingly pre-dating their small success with 'of all the hearts' on Game. Where the Deceptions single given date is 1972 (Discogs open source entry) and the following materials of Sire Goldstone all post 1972...

Found this great web page

https://www.stonegoldrecords.com/profile.html

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!