Barbara George - Something you got - diff versions??

soullad

Hopefully someone can help....

i recently purchased this 45 on the US Seven B label - only to find it isn’t the same version as the below on youtube

The version I received had female backing singers singing over the guitar instrumental break. To be honest I prefer the above version so I need to know how to spot the 2 apart??

cheers

Ian

Social source share

The song on the record above is the same as the YouTube link copy  but the phrasing is different on the copy above plus extra orchestration / backing vocals plus the guitar is lower in the mix. This has the feel of a finished song ( like Davenpete says “meatier”) whereas the above YouTube version could easily have been an earlier demo/ studio version or even an original b side?

i only say this as the  matrix number on the label of the record reads 219 - 2566 , with the flip being 219 - 2567 ( making the other side the b side?)

however the dead wax number reads 219 - 256*6 - the star being a crossed out number - could this have been an 8, making it the b side originally - were the A and B sides flipped during production or did they simply swap out the A side for a diff version halfway through the run?

Social source share

One can see in the YT video that under the tune title "tape over" the original printed title has been crossed out with a large pen. So this copy came with some un-corresponding label catalogue number on this one (219-2567) and the given timing 2:53 are not corresponding to yours.

So this is actually what seem to be some misspress of some sort that features another take of the 'something you got' tune. You can post a comment to the original YT poster and ask him further informations like what is the title crossed out under the tape and scratch in wax matrix.

Edited by Tlscapital
Social source share

The original YT has used the b side - the Label time and the extra lettering you can just see to the right of his overlay match perfectly. 
thing is  the other YT post of this song has the same simpler version as well, so a few copies of both versions obviously got out.

Social source share

I don't think there is any alternative press or label variation. The image on the YT clip above is a bodge job.

It's just a scan of the other side (hence different times / 2567 etc.) and it had been positioned / photographed slightly rotated (about 1 degree clockwise). After that, the new text has been added to the scan (the new text is exactly horizontal). Why the YT post is like this is anyones guess, maybe he could only find the b side at the time. This only explains the visual side of it.

As to the different take, it's probably an alternate CD version, much as weingarden says.

11 hours ago, weingarden said:

Could it be that the youtube version came from a compilation (New Orleans Soul and Funk Gumbo?) and is unreleased on 45? Wouldn't be the first time one of these New Orleans comps put forth an alternate version that confused people....

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!