New releases 2020

Johndelve

It is, especially as one could get most of the original albums at £3 or £4 quid without having to look very hard, and only Soul Folk In Action or We'll Get Over originals would set you back around the £20 mark...and even the 1 disc of 'rarities' is hardly thrilling...and I LOVE the Staples...so if I'm underwhelmed.....

Social source share

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Shufflin

the new Gerri Granger record posted above is really good, Richard S was very enthusiastic about it on one of his recent Solar Radio shows, mine shipped yesterday 🙂

Social source share

Guest Shufflin

another new 7" to be aware of is No Laggin' and Draggin', by Renaldo Domino, Colemine Records, cracking tune, a couple of dealers already have it listed on discogs for £30

it's a rough trade out there 🙂

Edited by Shufflin
added label
Social source share

Record selling / buying new releases has changed so much these days its a bloody Nite Mare, coloured this splattered  that, this mix that mix, Ltd this Ltd that, big hole, little hole, there definitely will be no re-press (Yea Right!), anyone else get a bit frustrated with all this or do most people not give a "Daffy Duck".  🤣  

Social source share

Guest Shufflin
2 hours ago, Rick Scott said:

Record selling / buying new releases has changed so much these days its a bloody Nite Mare, coloured this splattered  that, this mix that mix, Ltd this Ltd that, big hole, little hole, there definitely will be no re-press (Yea Right!), anyone else get a bit frustrated with all this or do most people not give a "Daffy Duck".  🤣  

I get annoyed by the 'strictly limited edition no re-press' then it gets a re-press

coloured vinyl can have play back issues I prefer to play the black vinyl copy but might get the cloured too if it's interesting

I'm a bit more discerning with what I buy new now (and fewer of 'em) compared to the past

Social source share

30 minutes ago, Chalky said:

I got that fed up I’ve almost stopped buying many new releases, just a few labels I can trust will be quality, the odd other release I come across.  The culture of creating a rarity before it is released , I just don’t see the point.  Its supposed to be about sharing the music and not ripping off customers. Rarely pay over £12 now. 

I'm with you on that one.  I contacted Kimberlite last year to ask if they had plans to repress (and highlighted that their releases were selling for ridiculous amounts on the resale market). Understandably they are a small company and can only afford to press approx 250 of each release and have no plans to press more or repress ... as I guess they make more money from mp3s.  It's not the company that's ripping off customers - they can't afford to press too many in case they don't sell.  I can't see them making much profit from a 250 run 'even' at 50% profit on £12 record its only a £1,500 - I suspect they barely break even on the vinyl!  It's the resellers making the profits. I know some who specifically buy 2 copies (or more if they can) of each new release specifically to make money on them.  Surely this shouldn't be what it's about ... making money and preventing others buying at face value.  ... this is fed by the sometimes ridiculous OVO policy (hard hat ready and waiting!) ensuring that many new and recent releases can never be played if not released on vinyl - the hypocrisy is that some buy CD/mp3 and then get carvers cut ... but somehow that's 'acceptable'?  I've recently seen OFO what does that mean original File/Format only?

P.S. I'm referring to brand new releases here not reissues.

Edited by Soulstrutter
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

On 21/01/2020 at 19:10, Shufflin said:

the new Gerri Granger record 

Mine arrived yesterday, love the flip side, always been a sucker for an instrumental especially if it has some organ.

Edited by Twoshoes
Wrongly attributed OVO quote to Shufflin.
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Shufflin

this is great, has an Angie Stone vibe to it 

available on a limited edition CD (50 only) or digitial download, the album has quite diverse songs on it this is the standout track to me but "Dear God" is also fab

Edited by Shufflin
Social source share

35 minutes ago, Shufflin said:

this is great, has an Angie Stone vibe to it 

available on a limited edition CD (50 only) or digitial download, the album has quite diverse songs on it this is the standout track to me but "Dear God" is also fab

50 cds and $15 for download?  Are these artists no longer interested in selling music?  One reason I no longer bother with many of these releases, especially with average ballads you hear every day.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Shufflin
2 hours ago, Chalky said:

$15 for download

I get why someone would want the CD (e.g., me) but the download prices are expensive but worth it

Edited by Shufflin
support the artist
Social source share

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

Digital age has killed any chance of making a living as a singer/musician.

Even mega stars like Peter Frampton complaining about receiving only 0.001 cent from every play on Spotify etc.

But the artists aren’t helping themselves, the Grace Love one above a prime example, accessible to few.  Forget trying to make a rarity, make them accessible to all, they might get more attention.  

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Shufflin
19 minutes ago, Richard said:

From the Acid Jazz website 

BACK ON PRE-ORDER WITH STOCK ARRIVING LATE FEB

wonder if the 2nd press will be any different / is this another Ernest Ernie situation

Social source share

23 hours ago, Rick Scott said:

Another fabulous release from "Legere Records" Getting Rotations on my Turntable as we type, a beautiful SOUL record the stands out above a Glut of not so great new mainly retro new releases kicking around at the mo and new labels just shoving stuff out willy nilly, personally i would rather have Quality rather than Quantity.

Mammas Gun - " This Is The Day"  Bloody Wonderful, Gets better with every Play, Turn up the Volume and let it wash over you, but be Quick as don't think this one will be hanging about for long...... Cheers, Rick

Missed 'em at Juno.....no doubt once again thwarted by all those folk who wouldn't have touched it had it remained download only.

You just gotta smile. otherwise it might make your piss boil! 😁

Cheers,

Mark R

• Up vote 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Mark R said:

Missed 'em at Juno.....no doubt once again thwarted by all those folk who wouldn't have touched it had it remained download only.

You just gotta smile. otherwise it might make your piss boil! 😁

Cheers,

Mark R

I got it from Crazybeat, still available  😉

• Up vote 2
Social source share

31 minutes ago, Rick Scott said:

The Pervis Lee track was Put Out in 2014 on a rather expensive test press??  (around the £80 mark) so is this just a 2020 Re-Press of that at 1/2 The Price,

some one on here may have a bit more info on this one than me as i have always wondered, it is a nice track by the way.

Not sure,  but didnt Record Shack put out the original 2014 release on 45 as an edit of the Leeway Lp track ? As this ones also from Record Shack perhaps its a test press of the same ? 

Edited by Andybellwood
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!