New releases 2020

Johndelve

On 21/02/2020 at 11:08, Rick Scott said:

Another fabulous release from "Legere Records" Getting Rotations on my Turntable as we type, a beautiful SOUL record the stands out above a Glut of not so great new mainly retro new releases kicking around at the mo and new labels just shoving stuff out willy nilly, personally i would rather have Quality rather than Quantity.

Mammas Gun - " This Is The Day"  Bloody Wonderful, Gets better with every Play, Turn up the Volume and let it wash over you, but be Quick as don't think this one will be hanging about for long...... Cheers, Rick

I've seen they are playing at the Islington assembly hall. Might go watch them. They are very good.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

2 hours ago, Andybellwood said:

Not sure,  but didnt Record Shack put out the original 2014 release on 45 as an edit of the Leeway Lp track ? As this ones also from Record Shack perhaps its a test press of the same ? 

I got the 2020 Pervis Lee limited test press repress from Record Shack (now out of stock). Record Shack did the legitimate licenced 2014 release. The 2020 7" TP has a large hole. The songs are the same, the original LP version on one side, an edited shorter version on the other side. The cost was 20 euros

Edited by Scootboy
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Shufflin

over £2K for an original or a tenner for a legit Ace Records copy, releases tomorrow, high quality vinyl reproduction

soul nicky soul

Edited by Shufflin
Social source share

On 04/02/2020 at 21:37, Shufflin said:

Chalky's right 'Dear God' indeed !!!!! $25 for CD (plus ridiculous US postal rates) and $15 for download for 8 tracks when most downloads are normally no more than 99p each!!!  You CAN buy tracks individually for $1.99 each ... to be honest the 2 tracks you've highlighted are the only 2 decent tracks (granted after only a very quick whizz through).

Social source share

On 18/02/2020 at 17:39, Seano said:

Mine arrived today, might have to get a smaller letterbox as I found it on the floor when I got home earlier 😅:

soul Screen Shot 2020 02 18 at 15.04.07

Snooze you lose ... sold ,out already!!!!  What's the back story of this release as there's a posing of it from 2012 here.  So it's been 'known' a while.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Guest Shufflin
45 minutes ago, Soulstrutter said:

Chalky's right 'Dear God' indeed !!!!! $25 for CD (plus ridiculous US postal rates) and $15 for download for 8 tracks when most downloads are normally no more than 99p each!!!  You CAN buy tracks individually for $1.99 each ... to be honest the 2 tracks you've highlighted are the only 2 decent tracks (granted after only a very quick whizz through).

I'm a fan of her music so got it, those 2 tracks alone are worth it imo, I have a really nice CD system, it sounds wonderful, and it's not a lot of money is it really, when converted to £?

people pay more for beers on a night out, but don't end up with a rare 50 only copy CD

the music and artwork was produced & distributed by the artist and is a piece of art in every sense, no regrets here 🙂

let's re-visit in a few years, let's see what people value it at then, maybe they will look beyond price

Edited by Shufflin
50 COPIES APPARENTLY
Social source share

1 minute ago, Shufflin said:

I'm a fan of her music so got it, those 2 tracks alone are worth it imo, I have a really nice CD system, it sounds wonderful, and it's not a lot of money is it really, when converted to £?

people pay more for beers on a night out, but don't end up with a rare 25 only copy CD

the music and artwork was produced & distributed by the artist and is a piece of art in every sense, no regrets here 🙂

let's re-visit in a few years, let's see what people value it at then, maybe they will look beyond price

I take your point .... but she/they are sticking their necks out at those prices ... perhaps not for CD as only 50 but makes them very expensive outside US with US postage rates.  If you like the track enough you'll buy it for $2 but probably only buy the tracks you like rather than whole album.  The CD may be 'collectible' in a few years but mp3 will NEVER be collectible.

Social source share

Guest Shufflin
1 minute ago, Soulstrutter said:

I take your point .... but she/they are sticking their necks out at those prices ... perhaps not for CD as only 50 but makes them very expensive outside US with US postage rates.  If you like the track enough you'll buy it for $2 but probably only buy the tracks you like rather than whole album.  The CD may be 'collectible' in a few years but mp3 will NEVER be collectible.

I wanted the art work, the physical format, the music in it's original form, TO PLAY, hopefully that's okay with you and Chalky

Social source share

9 hours ago, Shufflin said:

I wanted the art work, the physical format, the music in it's original form, TO PLAY, hopefully that's okay with you and Chalky

Have I said it isn’t ok?  Buy what you like.  I was simply questioning the logic behind how it was released and the price.  It’ll no doubt sell out but I wouldn’t pay that sort of money, for the cd nor the download,  for something that is pretty average.  It won’t be the quality that sells it either, it is people buying it cause there is only 50, thinking they have a rarity and will be worth more than they pay.  It won't be because of the music.

original form? What makes the cd more original than the download? Both released simultaneously, both play through the same speakers etc, 🙄

Edited by Chalky
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

Same could be said of a ripped copy, that it’s the same noise, but this way the artist is receiving something for their efforts and Shufflin gets his cd which makes him happy.

If we don’t support the artists there will be no new soul music simple as and that would be a crying shame, there still is a lot of good new music out there 👍

• Up vote 2
Social source share

13 hours ago, Richard said:

In reality that’s not a lot when you factor in costs of artists time, talent, mastering, production, artwork etc. on a very small run.

Via iTunes etc. The artist would be lucky to get 50p out of a 99p download and 0.001p from streaming sites 😮

It might interest you to know that the artists only receive 'mechanical royalties' on downloads which are split 50/50 between artist/composer ... and the princely sum is .... $0.091 per track ... so nowhere near 50p a track more like 4.5 cents!!!!  or 9.1 cents if they also wrote the track!

... which is probably why lots of artist now choose to self release as I would imagine the balance (less download site fees) goes to record company (who obviously have all the costs of recording/production etc.)

https://www.royaltyexchange.com/blog/mechanical-royalties#sthash.3xayrsva.dpbs

Social source share

3 hours ago, Richard said:

If we don’t support the artists there will be no new soul music simple as and that would be a crying shame, there still is a lot of good new music out there 👍

Yes but, and this is in no way aimed at you mate, people don't just support the artist do they?  Most wouldn't touch half of this material if it weren't on 7" or maybe CD!!  Music is (almost) secondary to some.  I understand the preference for physical release, I'm no different in that preference, but I wouldn't not have or play a piece of music I like because it's not on a 45........complete folly!

Cheers,

Mark R

• Up vote 2
Social source share

14 hours ago, Shufflin said:

No one is criticising you for buying it - If you like it enough to pay £31 after P&P from US than that is entirely up to you ... just like it's our choice not to buy it at that price for a new release that's all.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

4 hours ago, Richard said:

Same could be said of a ripped copy, that it’s the same noise, but this way the artist is receiving something for their efforts and Shufflin gets his cd which makes him happy.

I’m all for supporting the artist but not when they rip off or exploit their “fans”., especially as I said for something that isn't that special which I would want for the price being asked.  If others happy then nothing wrong with that but I feel by asking twice the going rate for a download the artist is perhaps missing out on sales?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

14 hours ago, Richard said:

In reality that’s not a lot when you factor in costs of artists time, talent, mastering, production, artwork etc. on a very small run.

Via iTunes etc. The artist would be lucky to get 50p out of a 99p download and 0.001p from streaming sites 😮

Maybe not but it is twice the going rate for a cd and download.  Is the cd a homemade thing or professionally produced?

Edited by Chalky
Social source share

On 21/02/2020 at 22:56, Richard said:

Doesn’t say so 🤷‍♂️

Good tune but this unlimited “limited” release nonsense is getting tedious 🙄

I think this is a case of press up the minimum number possible to keep costs down and see how it goes ... and if it sells well press up some more.    

I thought that vinyl cutting was expensive but done a little research and it's only £1-£2 per disc depending on quantity e.g 250 run @£2 each means break -even @£12 is only 42 copies.  If you don't think you'll sell 42 copies then why bother releasing it 🙂 ... and if you press up 1000 @ £1 each then you need to sell 84 to break-even ... so not that much of a risk is it? ... so perhaps it IS a cynical ploy to create demand????  ... or perhaps force you to buy mp3 which costs them very little?

Not forgetting of course that these aren't really record labels/companies, generally it is the band themselves that have to lay out for recording/production and pressing costs often on a shoestring and many simply don't have the money to do it on a large scale.

Social source share

On 06/02/2020 at 16:21, Mike said:

liking this...

Ready, Willing & Able · Will Downing Ready, Willing & Able ℗ 2020 Will Downing Released on: 2020-02-01

Just checked out his new album Romantique, Pt. 2 and best track (for me) is Close To You  ... as most of album is covers I expected it to be the Bacharach/David track but it's a new cut (modern dancer) ...can't find a YT clip for it (NOTE It's NOT Closer To You ballad from 89!) but short sample here: https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/willdowning12

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Soulstrutter said:

I think this is a case of press up the minimum number possible to keep costs down and see how it goes ... and if it sells well press up some more.    

I thought that vinyl cutting was expensive but done a little research and it's only £1-£2 per disc depending on quantity e.g 250 run @£2 each means break -even @£12 is only 42 copies.  If you don't think you'll sell 42 copies then why bother releasing it 🙂 ... and if you press up 1000 @ £1 each then you need to sell 84 to break-even ... so not that much of a risk is it? ... so perhaps it IS a cynical ploy to create demand????  ... or perhaps force you to buy mp3 which costs them very little?

Not forgetting of course that these aren't really record labels/companies, generally it is the band themselves that have to lay out for recording/production and pressing costs often on a shoestring and many simply don't have the money to do it on a large scale.

Art work accounts for most of the costs.

Social source share

1 hour ago, Soulstrutter said:

Technically from last year (Nov) ... but this was a real surprise debut from a blue-eyed Estonian Rita Ray ... but don't let that deter you it's a very good album.  Lead track is Little Girl which is what led to to explore the full album.

https://ritaray.bandcamp.com/album/old-love-will-rust

Excellent album, a mate tipped me off a couple of months or so ago.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

8 hours ago, Mark R said:

Yes but, and this is in no way aimed at you mate, people don't just support the artist do they?  Most wouldn't touch half of this material if it weren't on 7" or maybe CD!!  Music is (almost) secondary to some.  I understand the preference for physical release, I'm no different in that preference, but I wouldn't not have or play a piece of music I like because it's not on a 45........complete folly!

Cheers,

Mark R

Used to be OVO 60s only when younger but with age comes wisdom 🤣

If it’s MP3 only now days so be it 👍

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Shufflin

absolutely gutted this isn't on a limited run 45 or CD but was happy to buy the digital AIFF version back in November, it's not Euro retro either so apologies for that

Social source share

On 21/02/2020 at 11:08, Rick Scott said:

Another fabulous release from "Legere Records" Getting Rotations on my Turntable as we type, a beautiful SOUL record the stands out above a Glut of not so great new mainly retro new releases kicking around at the mo and new labels just shoving stuff out willy nilly, personally i would rather have Quality rather than Quantity.

Mammas Gun - " This Is The Day"  Bloody Wonderful, Gets better with every Play, Turn up the Volume and let it wash over you, but be Quick as don't think this one will be hanging about for long...... Cheers, Rick

Hey Rick .. thanks for posting this up and turning me on to these guys.  Had never heard of them before today but been checking them out and they've done some terrific stuff since 2008 .. how come I've never heard of them until now?

Sadly 45 https://mamasgunuk.bandcamp.com/ is already sold out (only on sale since 20th!!!) so now at the mercy of the mercenaries on Discogs 🙂 .. or buy CD/LP which is probably a better bet.

I think this comment left on one of their YT clips sums it up:

"I'm 57 years old, live in Charlotte NC and I love this group. This is an example that music transcends race, location and time."

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 minute ago, Shufflin said:

this one?

Yeah ... sold out already on Bandcamp ... unless they're on sale anywhere else? ... none yet on Discogs  ... that WILL be interesting as why would you buy and sell immediately if not just to profit? Vinyl LP's available but only German or US (thought this band was English?)

Social source share

14 hours ago, Soulstrutter said:

Technically from last year (Nov) ... but this was a real surprise debut from a blue-eyed Estonian Rita Ray ... but don't let that deter you it's a very good album.  Lead track is Little Girl which is what led to to explore the full album.

https://ritaray.bandcamp.com/album/old-love-will-rust

Put a post on here a couple of months back and got zero response, which surprised me.  Thought it would be perfect for here!!

Cheers,

Mark R

• Up vote 1
Social source share

16 hours ago, Soulstrutter said:

Just checked out his new album Romantique, Pt. 2 and best track (for me) is Close To You  ... as most of album is covers I expected it to be the Bacharach/David track but it's a new cut (modern dancer) ...can't find a YT clip for it (NOTE It's NOT Closer To You ballad from 89!) but short sample here: https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/willdowning12

Agreed, bought this last night.....and was then promptly serviced will the full EP by one of the promo guys.....not the first time that's happened! 😞

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

11 hours ago, Shufflin said:

absolutely gutted this isn't on a limited run 45 or CD but was happy to buy the digital AIFF version back in November, it's not Euro retro either so apologies for that

There's a nice Realm Remix of this about, though sadly not available to buy! 😞

Cheers,

Mark R

• Up vote 1
Social source share

11 hours ago, Soulstrutter said:

Yeah ... sold out already on Bandcamp ... unless they're on sale anywhere else? ... none yet on Discogs  ... that WILL be interesting as why would you buy and sell immediately if not just to profit? Vinyl LP's available but only German or US (thought this band was English?)

Cos there are some wankers about mate, that's why!  And unfortunately the disease is likely spawned from the ideals of this very scene. 😞

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

10 hours ago, Soulstrutter said:

£6.82???? that's cheap.  Many thanks for the heads up.

Also available at Crazy Beat mate, if not sold out.  I had the same problem until some kind chap tipped me off on this thread that Gary had them.  Hope you get one at a sensible price.

You know, further to this profiteering business, it often occurs to me that I could buy 2 or 3 of an item......if I could afford it after buying other new releases across ALL formats!! Get what I'm saying???

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

1 hour ago, Mark R said:

Also available at Crazy Beat mate, if not sold out.  I had the same problem until some kind chap tipped me off on this thread that Gary had them.  Hope you get one at a sensible price.

You know, further to this profiteering business, it often occurs to me that I could buy 2 or 3 of an item......if I could afford it after buying other new releases across ALL formats!! Get what I'm saying???

Cheers,

Mark R

I know for a fact someone who does that - one for himself and as many as he can buy to sell for profit.  I posted on this thread earlier that this deprives others of buying at face value.  I know some sellers limit to a max of 2 for that very reason but it doesn't take many to buy up all the stock and then flood Discogs with them for double or more the price.  Same thing happens with 100 Club anniversary singles you see them for sale the next day for stupid money for something they got for nothing!   Are people really buying 45s because they like the music or just because they know that eventually because they are limited edition they will appreciate in value? Best thing to do is NOT buy them on the resale market and make do with the digital so they are left with them!  Then at least the artists are receiving something rather than lining the pockets of the 'carpetbaggers'!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Mark R said:

There's a nice Realm Remix of this about, though sadly not available to buy! 😞

Cheers,

Mark R

Thanks for pointing this out ...What's the origin of this if it's not available to buy?  Heard it on Kevin Oxberry podcast @ 1:49:30 here:

It gives the track bit more depth and 'bite' love it!

https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/kevinoxberry/episodes/2020-01-25T02_16_04-08_00

P.S. A great selection of new tracks on here (and of course on his other weekly podcasts) highly recommended if you like new music.

Edited by Soulstrutter
Social source share

1 hour ago, Soulstrutter said:

I know for a fact someone who does that - one for himself and as many as he can buy to sell for profit.  I posted on this thread earlier that this deprives others of buying at face value.  I know some sellers limit to a max of 2 for that very reason but it doesn't take many to buy up all the stock and then flood Discogs with them for double or more the price.  Same thing happens with 100 Club anniversary singles you see them for sale the next day for stupid money for something they got for nothing!   Are people really buying 45s because they like the music or just because they know that eventually because they are limited edition they will appreciate in value? Best thing to do is NOT buy them on the resale market and make do with the digital so they are left with them!  Then at least the artists are receiving something rather than lining the pockets of the 'carpetbaggers'!

Agreed on all points!

Social source share

Just got turned on to Dee Dee Simon via her latest album just out 'Soulmate' and checked out some of her earlier material.  This came out last Sep as download only (available on Amazon) but she's posted up an extended version (4:44 v 3:08) on her YT page so thought I'd share it.  Terrific, authentic deep soul ... this could have been recorded in 70s ... in the Shirley Brown/Betty Wright school of soul.

Edited by Soulstrutter
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

18 minutes ago, Mark R said:

Dee Dee Simon albums here, bizarrely no sound clips........

https://payhip.com/b/nb8v

https://payhip.com/b/sAJW

Cheers,

Mark R

Yeah ...this seems to be the only place to get her albums from.  The track posted is not on either album and is download only available here (but shorter version than the one she's posted on her YT channel):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/If-Leave-You-Dee-Simon/dp/B07XYFYKH4

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!