45cellar profile photo

Deon Jackson - Artist Of The Week

Posted

Deon Jackson Discography (Soulful Kinda Music Link)

>>> Deon Jackson <<<

 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

Absolute Class one of my personal favorites. 

Edited by Rhino
  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

 

  • Up vote 5

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Great version of the Barbara Lewis classic

 

 

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

He does a superb unreleased version of the Esquires  you've got the power 👍👍👍

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

1005788115_DeonJackson2.jpg.1d8720f150b4b0f57030f97fb0167f02.jpg

1999499709_DeonJacksonCarlaRecords.jpg.5f114b7a2eaddaec8deda62a5c2b7577.jpg

  • Up vote 5

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

soul Deon

  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

 

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, Speedlimit said:

He does a superb unreleased version of the Esquires  you've got the power 👍👍👍

Too right he does

Here is a snippet

http://www.hayleyrecords.co.uk/sound/aintthattrk05.mp3

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

 

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

 A fine unreleased song from his Solid Smoke album - 

 

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Alternative take which sneaked out on ye olde Contempo Raries...

  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

I'd really like to see a clip of his performance - 

 

soul Deon

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)
On 14/12/2019 at 03:37, Rhino said:

Absolute Class one of my personal favorites. 

I've often wondered if the master tapes of this survive?

Edited by rotherham soul
  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
19 minutes ago, rotherham soul said:

I've often wondered if the master tapes of this survive?

It's an Atlantic recording so no doubt be in their vaults.  Be good if someone could get in there and look and maybe release a from the vaults type CD as have been done for quite a few artists who recorded for Atlantic, Atco etc.

  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
5 hours ago, Chalky said:

It's an Atlantic recording so no doubt be in their vaults.  Be good if someone could get in there and look and maybe release a from the vaults type CD as have been done for quite a few artists who recorded for Atlantic, Atco etc.

Hi Chalky

I had a feeling that I had heard something about the Atlantic tape vaults so had a quick search which revealed that a fire had destroyed the tape vaults housing the original studio tapes . More details here under the heading- Long Beach Warehouse Fire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Records

The Deon Jackson studio tapes could still exist if Carla/Karen kept the original tapes and only sent Atlantic the mixed tape. Same goes for other labels that Atlantic distributed but ,as you say, it would be great if the big labels opened their vaults for CD compilation before it's too late.

Rick

 

 

  • Up vote 3

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
7 minutes ago, Rick Cooper said:

Hi Chalky

I had a feeling that I had heard something about the Atlantic tape vaults so had a quick search which revealed that a fire had destroyed the tape vaults housing the original studio tapes . More details here under the heading- Long Beach Warehouse Fire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Records

The Deon Jackson studio tapes could still exist if Carla/Karen kept the original tapes and only sent Atlantic the mixed tape. Same goes for other labels that Atlantic distributed but ,as you say, it would be great if the big labels opened their vaults for CD compilation before it's too late.

Rick

 

 

Hi Rick

I’d forgotten all about that, such a shame, all that unreleased material lost forever.

Quote

Although master tapes of the material in Atlantic's released back catalog survived due to being stored in New York, the fire destroyed or damaged an estimated 5,000–6,000 reels of tape, including virtually all of the company's unreleased master tapes, alternative takes, rehearsal tapes and session multi-tracks recorded between 1948 and 1969. 

 

  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

Pure speculation but these were licensed from Ollie McGlaughlin, not originated at Atlantic, so wouldn't he have had the tapes?

There were, I think, 4 LPs came out in the early/mid- 80s (Detroit Gold 1 and 2, Deon Jackson, Barbara Lewis..maybe one by the Capitols making it 5?). One or two of these had previously unreleased material on. I think they were sourced directly from McGlaughlin, not Atlantic.

Edited by Joesoap
  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

If the masters were destroyed in the fire then perhaps any collectors dj, s with original acetates should lend them to  ace/Kent for remastering  for future reference or release. As we all know viynl and acetate recordings don't last forever. 

  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Joesoap said:

Pure speculation but these were licensed from Ollie McGlaughlin, not originated at Atlantic, so wouldn't he have had the tapes?

There were, I think, 4 LPs came out in the early/mid- 80s (Detroit Gold 1 and 2, Deon Jackson, Barbara Lewis..maybe one by the Capitols making it 5?). One or two of these had previously unreleased material on. I think they were sourced directly from McGlaughlin, not Atlantic.

Solid Smoke or something like that the label from te 80s.  I have the one of Deon’s and his Atco LP  from the late 60s.

Someday The Sun isn’t on any of the Lps, Atco was also distribution Carla releases, maybe they had Deon in the Atlantic studios to record?

 

Edited by Chalky
  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
44 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Solid Smoke or something like that the label from te 80s.  I have the one of Deon’s and his Atco LP  from the late 60s.

Someday The Sun isn’t on any of the Lps, Atco was also distribution Carla releases, maybe they had Deon in the Atlantic studios to record?

 

Do not know if I am barking up the wrong tree here but I have a CD of Deons material which in includes Someday  The Sun Will Shine plus all the tracks posted above.

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
2 hours ago, Shinehead said:

Do not know if I am barking up the wrong tree here but I have a CD of Deons material which in includes Someday  The Sun Will Shine plus all the tracks posted above.

Belgian label so not sure how legit it is?

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
1 minute ago, Chalky said:

Belgian label so not sure how legit it is?

Sounds right , Mars label I think.

I plead ignorance my lord buying a bootleg . 😄

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
10 minutes ago, Shinehead said:

Sounds right , Mars label I think.

I plead ignorance my lord buying a bootleg . 😄

Marginal.  It may well be legit?  I have my doubts mind. 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
19 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Belgian label so not sure how legit it is?

Belgian bashing HeY ? 😉 Teasing here. Well I must admit I'm a bit lost in there as to what is legit between the different policies in regards of Publishing Rights of different countries and their State Control Agencies if ever.

Anyway I don't bother since those are CD's. Toto of Marginal Records always pressed me to promote his CD compilations outside Belgium. CD's that he claimed where totally legit (on Belgium soil only maybe...) but still I was not willing to be involved with.

These where CD's in the first place; a format I so much dislike. And because these way too easy reissues things are polluting the market in my eyes being legit or not, I could never have properly promoted such product. In or out of Belgium.

Those 80's Solid Smoke compilations mentioned here are something much more worthwhile in my eyes. Mind you I bought these pre-internet days. So not so utterly 'relevant' to own by todays standards and new ways to hear the unknown sides

  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Are there 2 Deon Jackson CD's on Marginal ? This one makes no mention

of "Someday The Sun Will Shine" . 

soul Deon

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, The Yank said:

Are there 2 Deon Jackson CD's on Marginal ? This one makes no mention

of "Someday The Sun Will Shine" . 

soul Deon

Marginal , or someone else, must have redone the above CD with two extra tracks, You Got The Power and Someday The Sun Will Shine. 

On the Solid Smoke LP the last paragraph of Ollie McLaughlin's sleeve notes he says that they recorded several songs that were never released . Four are on the album but it is not clear if they are the only ones or "several" means more than the four. Ollie may not have rated Someday The Sun Will Shine or he may not have had the tapes for some reason. I think we can be fairly certain the CD version was not done from any proper tapes.

DSCF7634.thumb.JPG.c46f198517f380768b515dcec2e17b29.JPG

Sorry the photos not too clear.

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

The CD with the added tracks.

 

 

soul 20191217_100731

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
41 minutes ago, Shinehead said:

The CD with the added tracks.

Is this release also a definite 'Marginal' release ? I mean as in full imported from Belgium for certain ? I know for fact that some British threatened to simply 'bootleg' copy and sell on those Belgian CD's who where using some materials that where legally leased under Belgium law but that some Brits paid the copyrights for on their side of the Channel... As I said before different National legislation on the matter somehow infringing 'Imported' materials issues... And while at it why not add some 'bonus' tracks recently brought to light...

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
24 minutes ago, Tlscapital said:

Is this release also a definite 'Marginal' release ? I mean as in full imported from Belgium for certain ? I know for fact that some British threatened to simply 'bootleg' copy and sell on those Belgian CD's who where using some materials that where legally leased under Belgium law but that some Brits paid the copyrights for on their side of the Channel... As I said before different National legislation on the matter somehow infringing 'Imported' materials issues... And while at it why not add some 'bonus' tracks recently brought to light...

No idea , here's the back cover you may have more idea.

 

soul 20191217_113404

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

I'd say that the someday the sun will shine was done of a cut off Carl fortnums acetate. Definatly before Carl got it though I've had the cd for a bout 16 years. 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

If you listen to the cd cut it crackles just like the acetate 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
6 minutes ago, Speedlimit said:

If you listen to the cd cut it crackles just like the acetate 

Interesting. I'll ask Toto and report on here if he replies to my text message.

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Joe Boy released I've got the power

Share this forum post


soul source url

Look At Your Box - Source Forum

Get into the record & soul music talk

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!
Log into Soul Source

Get max use of the forums

Log in now!

  1. O V Wright - (Artist Of The Week)
    Look At Your Box by 45cellar on Sat 06 Aug 2011
    • 23 / 3435
    • Westender on 26 Jan 2020
  2. Little Milton - Artist Of The Week
    Look At Your Box by 45cellar on Sat 18 Jan 2020
    • 24 / 356
    • Westender on 23 Jan 2020
  3. Betty Lavett, James Royal, Walter Jackson etc.
    Record Sales by Windlesoul on Sat 18 Jan 2020
    • 1 / 255
    • Windlesoul on 18 Jan 2020
  4. Fantastic Mr Marcel artist pass on
    Freebasing by Mike on Wed 15 Jan 2020
    • 1 / 148
    • Mike on 15 Jan 2020
  5. clarence jackson
    Record Wants by Joe Dunlop on Wed 15 Jan 2020
    • 2 / 248
    • Rip1bill on 15 Jan 2020

Source Adverts



×
×
  • Create New...

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.