Deon Jackson - Artist Of The Week

45cellar

19 minutes ago, rotherham soul said:

I've often wondered if the master tapes of this survive?

It's an Atlantic recording so no doubt be in their vaults.  Be good if someone could get in there and look and maybe release a from the vaults type CD as have been done for quite a few artists who recorded for Atlantic, Atco etc.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

5 hours ago, Chalky said:

It's an Atlantic recording so no doubt be in their vaults.  Be good if someone could get in there and look and maybe release a from the vaults type CD as have been done for quite a few artists who recorded for Atlantic, Atco etc.

Hi Chalky

I had a feeling that I had heard something about the Atlantic tape vaults so had a quick search which revealed that a fire had destroyed the tape vaults housing the original studio tapes . More details here under the heading- Long Beach Warehouse Fire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Records

The Deon Jackson studio tapes could still exist if Carla/Karen kept the original tapes and only sent Atlantic the mixed tape. Same goes for other labels that Atlantic distributed but ,as you say, it would be great if the big labels opened their vaults for CD compilation before it's too late.

Rick

• Up vote 3
Social source share

7 minutes ago, Rick Cooper said:

Hi Chalky

I had a feeling that I had heard something about the Atlantic tape vaults so had a quick search which revealed that a fire had destroyed the tape vaults housing the original studio tapes . More details here under the heading- Long Beach Warehouse Fire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Records

The Deon Jackson studio tapes could still exist if Carla/Karen kept the original tapes and only sent Atlantic the mixed tape. Same goes for other labels that Atlantic distributed but ,as you say, it would be great if the big labels opened their vaults for CD compilation before it's too late.

Rick

Hi Rick

I’d forgotten all about that, such a shame, all that unreleased material lost forever.

Although master tapes of the material in Atlantic's released back catalog survived due to being stored in New York, the fire destroyed or damaged an estimated 5,000–6,000 reels of tape, including virtually all of the company's unreleased master tapes, alternative takes, rehearsal tapes and session multi-tracks recorded between 1948 and 1969. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Pure speculation but these were licensed from Ollie McGlaughlin, not originated at Atlantic, so wouldn't he have had the tapes?

There were, I think, 4 LPs came out in the early/mid- 80s (Detroit Gold 1 and 2, Deon Jackson, Barbara Lewis..maybe one by the Capitols making it 5?). One or two of these had previously unreleased material on. I think they were sourced directly from McGlaughlin, not Atlantic.

Edited by Joesoap
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

19 hours ago, Joesoap said:

Pure speculation but these were licensed from Ollie McGlaughlin, not originated at Atlantic, so wouldn't he have had the tapes?

There were, I think, 4 LPs came out in the early/mid- 80s (Detroit Gold 1 and 2, Deon Jackson, Barbara Lewis..maybe one by the Capitols making it 5?). One or two of these had previously unreleased material on. I think they were sourced directly from McGlaughlin, not Atlantic.

Solid Smoke or something like that the label from te 80s.  I have the one of Deon’s and his Atco LP  from the late 60s.

Someday The Sun isn’t on any of the Lps, Atco was also distribution Carla releases, maybe they had Deon in the Atlantic studios to record?

Edited by Chalky
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

44 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Solid Smoke or something like that the label from te 80s.  I have the one of Deon’s and his Atco LP  from the late 60s.

Someday The Sun isn’t on any of the Lps, Atco was also distribution Carla releases, maybe they had Deon in the Atlantic studios to record?

Do not know if I am barking up the wrong tree here but I have a CD of Deons material which in includes Someday  The Sun Will Shine plus all the tracks posted above.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

19 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Belgian label so not sure how legit it is?

Belgian bashing HeY ? 😉 Teasing here. Well I must admit I'm a bit lost in there as to what is legit between the different policies in regards of Publishing Rights of different countries and their State Control Agencies if ever.

Anyway I don't bother since those are CD's. Toto of Marginal Records always pressed me to promote his CD compilations outside Belgium. CD's that he claimed where totally legit (on Belgium soil only maybe...) but still I was not willing to be involved with.

These where CD's in the first place; a format I so much dislike. And because these way too easy reissues things are polluting the market in my eyes being legit or not, I could never have properly promoted such product. In or out of Belgium.

Those 80's Solid Smoke compilations mentioned here are something much more worthwhile in my eyes. Mind you I bought these pre-internet days. So not so utterly 'relevant' to own by todays standards and new ways to hear the unknown sides

• Up vote 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, The Yank said:

Are there 2 Deon Jackson CD's on Marginal ? This one makes no mention

of "Someday The Sun Will Shine" . 

soul Deon

Marginal , or someone else, must have redone the above CD with two extra tracks, You Got The Power and Someday The Sun Will Shine. 

On the Solid Smoke LP the last paragraph of Ollie McLaughlin's sleeve notes he says that they recorded several songs that were never released . Four are on the album but it is not clear if they are the only ones or "several" means more than the four. Ollie may not have rated Someday The Sun Will Shine or he may not have had the tapes for some reason. I think we can be fairly certain the CD version was not done from any proper tapes.

DSCF7634.thumb.JPG.c46f198517f380768b515dcec2e17b29.JPG

Sorry the photos not too clear.

Social source share

41 minutes ago, Shinehead said:

The CD with the added tracks.

Is this release also a definite 'Marginal' release ? I mean as in full imported from Belgium for certain ? I know for fact that some British threatened to simply 'bootleg' copy and sell on those Belgian CD's who where using some materials that where legally leased under Belgium law but that some Brits paid the copyrights for on their side of the Channel... As I said before different National legislation on the matter somehow infringing 'Imported' materials issues... And while at it why not add some 'bonus' tracks recently brought to light...

Social source share

24 minutes ago, Tlscapital said:

Is this release also a definite 'Marginal' release ? I mean as in full imported from Belgium for certain ? I know for fact that some British threatened to simply 'bootleg' copy and sell on those Belgian CD's who where using some materials that where legally leased under Belgium law but that some Brits paid the copyrights for on their side of the Channel... As I said before different National legislation on the matter somehow infringing 'Imported' materials issues... And while at it why not add some 'bonus' tracks recently brought to light...

No idea , here's the back cover you may have more idea.

soul 20191217_113404

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!