Eddie Hughes or Don Hysung bard records soul searcher

Rictic66

In case you haven’t seen Steve Jeffries has a red Bard label copy of Eddie Hughes great Soul Searcher by the writer, Don Hysong on his site. It’s same backing and very similar to Bob and Fred’s Ill be on my way. Has anyone any info on them  it’s a small Detroit label not sure if related to Big Mack which released Bob and Fred  must be very rare - anyone heard either version played out  the Don Hysong one is poorer voice imho  

Here is link to EH. 

Edited by Rictic66
Social source share

Both were played out at the lifeline allnighter and other upfront venues several years back.  No way does this sound like Bob and Fred to my ears. Bob and Fred sounds more like a sidra production, hence why it was covered up as Ronnie and robyn. As for Eddie Hughes and Don hysong Eddie Hughes wins my vote sounding more soulful. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Speedlimit said:

Both were played out at the lifeline allnighter and other upfront venues several years back.  No way does this sound like Bob and Fred to my ears. Bob and Fred sounds more like a sidra production, hence why it was covered up as Ronnie and robyn. As for Eddie Hughes and Don hysong Eddie Hughes wins my vote sounding more soulful. 

I don’t hear Bob and Fred in it either, totally different to my cloth ears. 

Eddie Hughes played briefly by Pat mid 80s at Stafford.  Andy Dyson and Arthur Fenn as you say, think Kenny Burrell was playing Don’s take if memory serves, or was it Keith?

Social source share

Clearly Hysong's version was just a demo for Eddie Hughes' commercial release.  I'm sure Hysong's being pressed up on Bard was just an extremely small "vanity" pressing.  I really doubt that more than 100 were pressed.  Back in the day, I remember seeing a reasonable number of The Eddy Hughes record both in Detroit and Chicago, but never saw the Don Hysong.  I really doubt that Bard thought they could get Hysong's played on Pop stations, and could sell it to Pop fans. 

Hughes' is great.  Hysong's wasn't commercial quality.  It's the songwriter giving his artist a not-very-good idea of how it should be sung, knowing Hughes would "spruce it up" and put a soulful take on it.

It pre-dates Billy Stewart's "I Do Love You", but has an extremely similar musical phrase in it.

Social source share

6 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

I would guess that there is a very, very good chance, given that The Fantastic Four and he were all within a year or 2 in age, when they were singers in Detroit.  It was a small, tight community.  Everyone knew of everyone else in the business, and many of them were friends of many of the others.  Now they're appearing together in Detroit.  I would guess (and bet) this Eddy Hughes is the singer who recorded for Bard Records.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

15 minutes ago, Robbk said:

I would guess that there is a very, very good chance, given that The Fantastic Four and he were all within a year or 2 in age, when they were singers in Detroit.  It was a small, tight community.  Everyone knew of everyone else in the business, and many of them were friends of many of the others.  Now they're appearing together in Detroit.  I would guess (and bet) this Eddy Hughes is the singer who recorded for Bard Records.

10 hours ago, Chalky said:

Eddie Hughes

27191269-4290-490B-BE87-A371FE7B73DF.thumb.jpeg.1fe2db8dd7904ea0e79d5c971279e46f.jpeg

I think Karl (unlike us) does facebook, so perhaps a message and if it is him we could find out (please Karl) and about the label etc. and if he has a 100 box in his cellar, I sold my copy a million years ago ........ why ?

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

• 5 months later...
3 hours ago, Al Hughes said:

My name is Al Hughes and my stage name back in the 60"was Eddie Hughes. I am the singer on this Bard recording. You can here my new R &B music on my Website....al@alhughesmusic.com 

5 minutes ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

It's in the email address Al posted: https://alhughesmusic.com

ah yep, did try that but must have copied it wrong

nice one

Social source share

2 hours ago, TRICKY said:

Take it or leave it Al Hughes on Scope?

Yes, he was the same singer.  It's really hard to believe that Al ("Eddy"), with that deep, full, rich, and smooth-mature-sounding voice, was only 14 years old at the time he recorded "Soul Searcher", and only 16 or 17 when he recorded his Scope Records stomper.  But that's what he says, and he'd have no reason to pretend to have been younger.

Edited by Robbk
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!