Ronny Lowe - The one who really loves you (PANTHER)

Hill868

I see that Ronny Lowe and Dominos  ' The one that really loves you ' / ' Too many fish in the sea ' on Panther Records (same label as Ward Burton) is fetching some decent money, have the same 45 on the same release no. credited to Willie Hammond, seems to be a little rarer ?  Notice on the R. Lowe release, the label states vocal by Willie.  Anyone else got the same release ?

Social source share

On 18/12/2019 at 04:51, HILL868 said:

I see that Ronny Lowe and Dominos  ' The one that really loves you ' / ' Too many fish in the sea ' on Panther Records (same label as Ward Burton) is fetching some decent money, have the same 45 on the same release no. credited to Willie Hammond, seems to be a little rarer ?  Notice on the R. Lowe release, the label states vocal by Willie.  Anyone else got the same release ?

Seen one recently VG for £250 all the releases on Panther must be obscure and little is know about them, I am guessing that Will Hammond owned the label as he produced all the releases, I think he must be the same man who did Garbage Man (Muddy Waters) and was from South Carolina, but as with most things I am not 100% sure

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

I have dome some research and really wonder if this is them

https://www.teddwebb.com/garage_bands/ronny_lowe-dominoes.html

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Yep. I won the copy on Popsike that went for $59! Well pleased with the record. Like yourself, I saw one sell for much more last week. All the Ronny Lowe copies seem to have ‘vocal by Willie’ on them. The Willie Hammond version is scarcer as last time I looked, only two copies featured on Popsike. 

Social source share

17 hours ago, Chalky said:

don't see what the fuss is about personally? Very average. Is it because its rare/obscure? 

It isn't a patch on Mary Wells.

It’s a decent Motown cover and quite soulful despite the group composition. No fuss really, just another obscurity receiving some recognition after 50 years of being overlooked. Certainly a record that merits discussion following a noteworthy sale price recently. I would be interested to know if there are any other soul records on the Panther label in view of Ward Burton’s and Ronnie Lowe’s releases.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Agree with Chalky, nowhere near as good as the marvellous Mary Wells orig version (actually one of my favourite female artists), but an interesting and very worthwhile double-header of Motown covers, and I won it on Ebay several years ago for $20.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Frankie Crocker said:

It’s a decent Motown cover and quite soulful despite the group composition. No fuss really, just another obscurity receiving some recognition after 50 years of being overlooked. Certainly a record that merits discussion following a noteworthy sale price recently. I would be interested to know if there are any other soul records on the Panther label in view of Ward Burton’s and Ronnie Lowe’s releases.

Turned this and WB up in early 90's I think from a box under the table in Ye Olde Clocke Shoppe in Kannapolis.

There were about three boxes full of oddball NC labels.

Sold WB to  Sam and I think Phil Wainwright got the other title.

Pretty sure I left Ronnie Lowe. Vocals let it down.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Modernsoulsucks said:

Turned this and WB up in early 90's I think from a box under the table in Ye Olde Clocke Shoppe in Kannapolis.

There were about three boxes full of oddball NC labels.

Sold WB to  Sam and I think Phil Wainwright got the other title.

Pretty sure I left Ronnie Lowe. Vocals let it down.

So this is the same exact label a the Ward Burton ?

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

34 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

So this is the same exact label a the Ward Burton ?

According to R&B Indies Ward Burton Panther out of Greenville, SC whilst the Reggie Sadler Panther is Hickory, NC.  They may well be linked somehow though.

Edited by Chalky
Social source share

8 minutes ago, Modernsoulsucks said:

Always assumed so but no idea really.

The two Panther labels are obviously different, one being red and the other yellow. Whether they are the same outfit or two different set-ups I am not sure. As  Chalky suggests, there could be a link. The red label is of the earlier plain generic type whilst the yellow one looks later and backed by more promotion finance. Having two separate indie labels clashing names in adjacent states would be most unusual, even back then so I would be inclined to suspect a connection of some sort QED.

Social source share

1 hour ago, Frankie Crocker said:

The two Panther labels are obviously different, one being red and the other yellow. Whether they are the same outfit or two different set-ups I am not sure. As  Chalky suggests, there could be a link. The red label is of the earlier plain generic type whilst the yellow one looks later and backed by more promotion finance. Having two separate indie labels clashing names in adjacent states would be most unusual, even back then so I would be inclined to suspect a connection of some sort QED.

Ward Burton one is 66/7 or 67/8.  The other 69. 

Social source share

8 hours ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Where are the matrix boys when you need them?

Chalky, you want to go on Mastermind sometime?

I noticed there was also a white garage rock band called "The Bojax" from NC and although not soul related one of their Panther singles had same Cat number as the Ward Burton and there was some connection with Major Bill (here we go again) too and of course that could lead anywhere and I really would like to stick the thread, but guess, as in life all roads take you in certain directions

https://home.unet.nl/kesteloo/bojax.html

https://teensoundrecords.bandcamp.com/album/the-bojax-dont-look-back-its

soul Ward

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

There are 6 releases listed in R&B Indies.

1. Ward Burton & Music Men Inc - Salty Dog   

If'N

2. Willie Hammond - The One Who Really Loves You.   (PAN 2-A)

Lots More Fish In The Sea             (PAN 2-B)

3. The Bojax - Hippie time

Go Ahead & Go

4. The Bojax - Don't Look Back

Fast Life

5. The Bojax - So Glad

I've Enjoyed As Much Of You As I Can

6. Ward Burton - Sweet Temptation    (PAN-5A

If'N        (PAN-5B)

Then of course...

2. Ronny Lowe & The Dominoes - The One Who Really Loves You   (PAN-2A)

Too Many Fish In The Sea             (PAN-2B)

To complicate matters there is this release not listed in R&B Indies

4331 The Invisible Burgundy Bullfrog - Cry Me A River           (PRP 8171)

Batman Rides Again (PRP 8172)

Obviously connected as the font is the same and they share the same music publisher, Rainy Day Music.

Edited by Chalky
Social source share

42 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

I noticed there was also a white garage rock band called "The Bojax" from NC and although not soul related one of their Panther singles had same Cat number as the Ward Burton and there was some connection with Major Bill (here we go again) too and of course that could lead anywhere and I really would like to stick the thread, but guess, as in life all roads take you in certain directions

https://home.unet.nl/kesteloo/bojax.html

https://teensoundrecords.bandcamp.com/album/the-bojax-dont-look-back-its

I haven't read the links yet so not sure where the connection to Bill Smith comes from?  Obviously Sweet Temptation/If'N are his records but the rest all appear to have no connection.  Panther owned by Willie Hammond.

The only other Greenville connection I can think of with major Bill is Martha Starr who came from the town.

Edited by Chalky
Social source share

1 minute ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

I noticed that someone had booted the Ward Burton with identical but scanned labels

Probably a carver.  There is probably a carver out there of just about every record, most of the sellers on ebay who offer boots are carvers and some do them to order.  I haven't seen a boot of Ward Burton, a boot as in a 300 count press etc.

Social source share

9 minutes ago, Chalky said:

I haven't read the links yet so not sure where the connection to Bill Smith comes from?  Obviously Sweet Temptation/If'N are his records but the rest all appear to have no connection.  Panther owned by Willie Hammond.

The only other Greenville connection I can think of with major Bill is Martha Starr who came from the town.

I may have jumped in with the LeBIll Publishing (Sweet Temptation) and the Cressa Watson version discussed in pervious thread

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!