Is This Jackie Wilson - If So, Which Version?

Robbk

I found this on YouTube, with Jackie's photo, saying it is him.  This version is listed at 3:13.  The 45 was under 3:00.  This guy sounds a little like him, but certainly not the way he sounded in 1967-68. But in later parts of the song he sounds like a completely different person.  Is this someone else, or a late remake by Jackie from the early 1970s?  The instrumental is different from the hit 45 version, and also different from the alternate LP version.  The bass, drums, and horns are different too, as are the background singers (not The Andantes'45 version):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=191&v=mzDVaKRApcg&feature=emb_logo

Edited by Robbk
Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

It's a cheap modern day "studio group" remake by someone calling themselves "The Hit Co.".

Released on a digital only release from 2009 called "Wedding Reception Vol. 2".

It's on the APM label, a "library" music label that owns KPM, Bruton, etc. 

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

On the subject of strange... I remember having a fruitless argument with Matchy who is utterly convinced that Eddie Holland and JW are one and the same  - with crazy comments like 'no body's ever seen Eddie Holland live' and me saying that Brenda Holloway sees him every Sunday at church falling on deaf ears. Dx

Social source share

20 hours ago, Davenpete said:

On the subject of strange... I remember having a fruitless argument with Matchy who is utterly convinced that Eddie Holland and JW are one and the same  - with crazy comments like 'no body's ever seen Eddie Holland live' and me saying that Brenda Holloway sees him every Sunday at church falling on deaf ears. Dx

I can't believe Matchy has never seen photos of Eddie and Brian standing together showing their family resemblance, or seen videos of both of them and not seen videos of Jackie.  I've seen both of them in person, and all kinds of people I know have talked about them for 70 years.  It's like the fake moon landing conspiracy controversy.  If Jackie Wilson and Eddie Holland were the same person, why did they look so different, when we saw them and heard the music coming out of their mouths (not just lip sinking)?  How could such a secret have been kept for over 50 years?  It's very absurd.  I think Matchy was pulling your leg.  Nobody, especially a Soul fan, could have missed seeing film of both singing.

Edited by Robbk
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!