Julianb

• Replies 14
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Hi Julian I will check it out but I was told still in Australia, I am a member of the Dungeon group which had nighters in Nottingham in the mid sixties and it was announced on there and some of the lads were in touch with him.if you bump into me we will have a chat about him got one or two stories to tell. Regards Sam 

Social source share

Pete Fowler shared this post from Steve Parker on Facebook a few days ago......

It is my sad duty to advise the Soul scene of the death from cancer of John Boland aka Batman - a fabulous man, who was 'there' right from the beginning.  His larger than life character - going to all the early Soul / mod clubs in the UK - The Wheel, the Mojo, il Rondo in Leicester,  the Clouds in Derby, the Blue Orchid, Spinning Wheel in Retford, etc etc. He is notorious for his partnership with Jeff King on the 'boot-legged' SOUL SOUNDS series of rare record issues in the late 60's / early 70's. A wonderful man with a great sense of humour, a huge Leicester City supporter, an always smart dresser, great Dad and Grandfather. I was proud to call him my friend - RIP  John. With Chris Sweeting, Charlie Waring, Tony Morgan, Pete Mitchell.

Social source share

Hi Chalky,

I think we may be getting mixed up. The John Bollen I knew in the late 60s/early 70s was from Skipton/Earby area and was a pal of Franny O'Brien,  Les Cokell etc and used to come to Lord Jim's in huddersfield before we used to travel over to the wheel. He introduced us to Dave Godin who he met in London whilst at art college and introduced Dave to us northerners. Dave visited Lord Jim's  and wrote about it in blues and soul. Googling john bollen, it comes up with a furniture design business in Skipton and one of the pictures does look like an older version of the John Bollen I knew back in the day!

Perhaps someone on here in the Skipton area can confirm?

Social source share

54 minutes ago, Julianb said:

Hi Chalky,

I think we may be getting mixed up. The John Bollen I knew in the late 60s/early 70s was from Skipton/Earby area and was a pal of Franny O'Brien,  Les Cokell etc and used to come to Lord Jim's in huddersfield before we used to travel over to the wheel. He introduced us to Dave Godin who he met in London whilst at art college and introduced Dave to us northerners. Dave visited Lord Jim's  and wrote about it in blues and soul. Googling john bollen, it comes up with a furniture design business in Skipton and one of the pictures does look like an older version of the John Bollen I knew back in the day!

Perhaps someone on here in the Skipton area can confirm?

My apologies Julian if we are, The nickname threw me as he the John I posted was also nicknamed batman in the replies?

79901633_2385904264847972_5824006306557591552_n.jpg.8bc044c016727cc5c3456751faa5e912.jpg

Edited by Chalky
Social source share

I also Remember John Bollen aka (Batman) from Lord Jims, he used to keep us entertained in the queue outside Lord Jims and wasn't he the John Bollen who was on Ian Levine's "The Strange World Of Northern Soul"?. Regards Fred.

Edited by Mr Fred
Social source share

41 minutes ago, Mr Fred said:

I also Remember John Bollen aka (Batman) from Lord Jims, he used to keep us entertained in the queue outside Lord Jims and wasn't he the John Bollen who was on Ian Levine's "The Strange World Of Northern Soul"?. Regards Fred.

Hi Fred,

John joined soul source yesterday. He's alive and well and living in Skipton. I've pm'd him but not had a reply yet. Hope you and Jacqui are both well.

I'm djing at barnoldswick on the 27th if you fancy a trip to Lancashire!!!

Social source share

2 hours ago, Kegsy said:

As if there aren't already enough reasons not to leave gods own Yorkshire and visit Lancashire. 😎

With it being the season  of goodwill I  won't  tell you to f*** o*f😀

We know it's going to be a  difficult time for you but stay positive and enjoy yourself. 

Best wishes

Julian and Carolyn  xxx

Social source share

On 24/12/2019 at 14:18, Julianb said:

Hi Fred,

John joined soul source yesterday. He's alive and well and living in Skipton. I've pm'd him but not had a reply yet. Hope you and Jacqui are both well.

I'm djing at barnoldswick on the 27th if you fancy a trip to Lancashire!!!

Hi Julian, yes we are well, and trust you and Carolyn are too. Good news that Johns still with us! Didn't he get the nickname "batman" as he used to wear a cape or just wear his raincoat like one with his top button fastened with his arms inside? .We can't make it to Barnoldswick  as with now three grandchildren are doing a spot of babysitting. Hopefully we'll see you both in the coming year. All the best.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!