Mike

Soul plays, spins, favs 2020

Welcome to the latest Soul Source Forum - The Audio List Forum

A forum set up to offer a place designed for members to enjoy listening and talking via long-running audio list type topics

Welcome to the  Soul plays, spins, favs 2020 topic

A new members audio topic for single youtube and similar audio pass on posts

A place for passing on single current plays, spins, favs, recommendations and such

For performance and navigation reasons and importantly to encourage discussion

ask try and follow the following if possible...

1. one video to one post
  2. post the title and artist in text as well
  3. avoid flooding/hogging the topic/forum with many posts - quality over quantity always gonna work best!

cheers

source.jpg

mike

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

A revisit for me of a past fav to get things going

Ozz And His Sperlings - Can You Qualify

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Mickie Champion - What Good Am I   Big favourite of mine, and nice to have an original now having waited a long time for one to come up for sensible money. 

• Up vote 3

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Guest Shufflin
Posted (edited)

nice dancer, the Volcanos have quite a catalogue of ace tunes, got this one recently

Edited by Shufflin

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

First purchase of  2020, mines the cheaper 70's re issue

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

This is a nice one. Beautifully arranged and very capably performed. Lovely example of quality 70's vocal group soul.....

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

First choice of the new year, this excellent dancer 😎

soul gayles

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Guest Shufflin

a top tune for me, recently got an unplayed M copy of this in its original sleeve, mid tempo which is best for me 😉

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
30 minutes ago, Shufflin said:

a top tune for me, recently got an unplayed M copy of this in its original sleeve, mid tempo which is best for me 😉

Enjoy it, great tune, I must only have the Outta Sight reissue

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Bright and beautiful Friday Morning and just got back in from a nice short walk so if you get the chance you might like to do the same, 

Happy New Year Folks........Rick

Edited by Rick Scott
miss spelling
  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Nice little story about how i came to own a copy of this record (Rainbow People) Which i put up on here a while ago on another thread.

I was DJ ing  at a Soul Nite in Lincoln (74\75) and and a couple of lads came up to me during my set and said we have a Record we think you might like, Turned out their mum worked in a second hand book shop in Lincoln and had some records come in and they fished this out being on a PYE Double Sided  Acetate.

I played it on the turn tables listening to it on Headphones and yes, fell in love with it, and said yes i'll take it (Can't remember how much probably 5 or 8 Quid) they asked me would i play it in my set which i did and got a good reaction to it for an unknown at the time.

I dropped it at the next Cleethorpes Pier All Niter and the rest was history as they say.

As a footnote to that i played this at a Soul Nite in the back room of a Scunthorpe Pub In The 80s (The Open Hearth i think) And when playing announced it as Quite A Rarity and a young Bar Maid Dashed up to the Decks and said Me and my Boy Friends got this (found at a car boot sale) but it looks different to your copy, I asked if they wanted to sell it and got a Big Loud NO, turns out they weren't into Northern soul just liked collecting Records, one regret was didn't ask if it was a demo or issue, (Never seen an Issue) anyone on here seen one?  

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Guest Shufflin
4 hours ago, Rick Scott said:

Never seen an Issue) anyone on here seen one?  

Rick images of stock copy on 45 cat

image.png.fb15fb38a87473a46e2f8de659b2e069.png

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

WOW! Nice One, Thank you so much for that, Proves that it DID get a release and out there on ALL Formats, For Me their best release, Cheers Shufflin.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Finally replaced my old copy of Hosanna - Hipit  this week which I had owned for donkeys years, I have had so much pleasure out of listening to this mid 1970's track never tire of it...

• Up vote 4

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Guest Shufflin

I got this 45 for the side posted here (and the flip is at least as good and getting plays), got  a nice M- copy

Edited by Shufflin

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Saw this while trawling ebay with five mins to go on auction, didn't know it, gave it a listen just got a bid in on time, sadly though looking mint plays with a bit of background noise in places, did get offered refund if I sent it back but for what I paid not worth the hassle, neighbours on holiday for two weeks so it's up with the volume, tother side pretty good too

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Great Tune (Sounds Expensive but not) Harold Burrage... Nice One! Another example of Great won't burn a Hole on your Pocket

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

This one had big spins in the 80s and the Album it came from has just been re-released 'Dragon King' by Osama Kitajima, It came out on an impossible to find 45 and what a fabulous 2 Stepper it is (if you like this sort of thing.When Phil Perrys name is included in the writer credits you know it's gonna be good,Play It, love it, and Enjoy...... Rick

• Up vote 3

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Guest Shufflin

played this a few times today, a great PIR sound and a cheapie

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

The Otis Clay artist of the week thread led me to some of my favourite singers and this was track I haven't played for ages.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Cissy knocks one out of the park

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Not my favourite song but Cissy is one helluva singer.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Another one from Cissy, this time fronting the Sweet Inspirations. Just sublime....

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Guest Shufflin

love the 100 mph sounds, got me a nice copy of this oldie, seems to me that the 'faster' records are becoming more affordable as the dancers slow down 🙂

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
1 hour ago, Shufflin said:

love the 100 mph sounds, got me a nice copy of this oldie, seems to me that the 'faster' records are becoming more affordable as the dancers slow down 🙂

Viola Wills personal favourite, like this one 

soul LM

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Ever green song Funky Nassau gets a release from COCOTONES and its Rather Good (Imho). Mine arrived this morning. Not on YouTube as yet but you can Hear a Sound Bite at JUNO Who describes it as a RE-Issue ?  Ltd to 200 copies so won't be around for long i suspect. Its on the Cocotone Record Label (Made in Saint Marie -Madagascar)so if you like your soul on the more Funky Side This may well be for you too, Your Thoughts 😀  

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
On 05/01/2020 at 19:20, Westender said:

This is a nice one. Beautifully arranged and very capably performed. Lovely example of quality 70's vocal group soul.....

LP only? Soulful Road (cover like Beatles Abbey Road i.e. zebra crossing) 1974 ... lovely tune .. thanks for highlighting it.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
On 12/01/2020 at 19:11, Shufflin said:

played this a few times today, a great PIR sound and a cheapie

Funny how memory plays tricks ... I could have sworn that this made the pop charts ... but have checked and it didn't.  Obviouslsy it was just too good at the time.  One of heir best.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Sarah Vaughan - Inner City Blues from 1971 LP 'A Time In My Life' [Mainstream #MRL 340]

Here's a decent cover of Inner City Blues if you like your soul with a funky/jazzy edge from a lady of class on her 'A Time In My Life' LP from 1971 .. so hot on the heels of Marvin's original:

Edited by Soulstrutter
  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Apologies for double-posting but just came across this and simply had to share it!

Chuck Jackson - AIn't No Sun SInce You've Been Gone [Tamla Motown #TMS-0529] Argentina ONLY! (Taken off Chuck Arrives Motown LP 1968)

Quite a few versions of this been done e.g. GK & Pips, Profonix, Dynamics, Undisputed Truth, Originals, Temptations, Dusty Springfield, Rare Earth ... but this is a cracker

It's on Discogs but none sold - so wonder what price this would be? (https://www.discogs.com/Chuck-Jackson-Sin-Estar-Tu-No-Brilla-El-Sol-Aint-No-Sun-Since-Youve-Been-Gone/release/11253002).  I think Manship had one a few months ago but don't know what it went for?

• Up vote 3

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
15 hours ago, Soulstrutter said:

Beginning Of The End was Top 40 in 1974 (#31 actually :-))

https://www.officialcharts.com/artist/14957/beginning-of-the-end/

... so plenty around so why not just get that one ... unless this cover 'adds' something?

I Mentioned this version because i thought people might be interested( but seems i was Wrong,) Yes there are different versions about and i have what i consider the best of what's available in my collection, some versions i like some versions i don't so didn't buy those, i liked this version enough to buy it, after all that is what record collecting is all about. The idea was to give people the chance to listen to it themselves and make their own mind up as to whether they liked it or not, after all nobody is twisting their arm up their back to purchase it, just wanted to share, sorry if i did something wrong, Rick

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
6 minutes ago, Rick Scott said:

I Mentioned this version because i thought people might be interested( but seems i was Wrong,) Yes there are different versions about and i have what i consider the best of what's available in my collection, some versions i like some versions i don't so didn't buy those, i liked this version enough to buy it, after all that is what record collecting is all about. The idea was to give people the chance to listen to it themselves and make their own mind up as to whether they liked it or not, after all nobody is twisting their arm up their back to purchase it, just wanted to share, sorry if i did something wrong, Rick

Hi Rick .. no 'offence' intended ... just pointed out that this must be fairly easy to pick up the original ... which is normally the best version unless the new version does something different and adds a dimension - I gave the clip on Juno a quick listen and couldn't discern anything to make me want the new version over the original (seems like a faithful reproduction of Beginning Of The End but with what sounds to me like non-native English vocals which to me is off-putting) ... but just my opinion others of course may have their own. Thanks for highlighting the release so at least I could hear it.

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Cheers Soulstrutter,

Horses for Coursers this Record Collecting Game, No offence Taken by the way, I only buy and play what i like, and the original is a Classic which i purchased as a new release Back in the Day and has been covered by lots of Bands over the years, it has to be said that the "original version" is Not Always the best version But not in this case, Thanks for your Comments..............Rick

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
6 minutes ago, Rick Scott said:

Cheers Soulstrutter,

Horses for Coursers this Record Collecting Game, No offence Taken by the way, I only buy and play what i like, and the original is a Classic which i purchased as a new release Back in the Day and has been covered by lots of Bands over the years, it has to be said that the "original version" is Not Always the best version But not in this case, Thanks for your Comments..............Rick

Aye it's a 'game' .. what we 'old-timers' tend to forget is that we need to attract younger punters who didn't grow up with the sounds we did in the 70s.  I was at a weekender last year and HM & Bluenotes - Love I Lost was being played all over the place.  As good a record as it is I simply couldn't understand why a UK Pop Top 20 (well 21) record was being played at a rare soul event until someone pointed out that the younger crowd didn't know it.  Likewise I've always loved, but avoided playing, Where Are All My Friends (posted above) thinking it was too obvious and well known - it may be to us who grew up in 70s but not necessarily to the younger ones.  Through necessity (Lack of good quality rarities) the scene is widening it's scope and a more funky edge is getting exposure and at Sunday events, which personally I now prefer (Horse & Groom - Feed Your Soul etc.), its virtually anything goes- perhaps minor hits that we have long since forgotten (but may be new to a younger audience) should get a look-in (perhaps that's a new thread on here) - I have rightly or wrongly always 'assumed' that the 'law' is that if it made the charts then it's a no-no? 

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Guest Shufflin
20 hours ago, Soulstrutter said:

I could have sworn that this made the pop charts ... but have checked and it didn't

I wonder how many fall into that category and have been ignored as a result? (Poeple thinking they must have charted?)

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
28 minutes ago, Shufflin said:

I wonder how many fall into that category and have been ignored as a result? (Poeple thinking they must have charted?)

Hmm  I could say a lot but it would probably upset people 🙂  ... the hole in the centre's not big enough unless it's got a bid red A on it if you get my drift!!! ... and it's from the 60s

Edited by Soulstrutter

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Guest Shufflin

I think by combining topics we are losing contributions just my take

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
3 hours ago, Shufflin said:

3 hours ago, Soulstrutter said:

Hmm  I could say a lot but it would probably upset people 🙂  ... the hole in the centre's not big enough unless it's got a bid red A on it if you get my drift!!! ... and it's from the 60s

As this thread has highlighted quite a few times some of those charting soul hits have hidden gems on their B sides, Gloria Gaynor and Jimmy James to name two. As Rick says posting new tunes gives others a chance to hear something that might otherwise pass them by. Thanks to this thread in particular I've bought some crackers in the last year or so, long may it continue or maybe not for me, early retirement beckons for the sake of my health  and my pension pot is not going to fund the kind of money I've been spending. 

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
20 hours ago, Soulstrutter said:

Apologies for double-posting but just came across this and simply had to share it!

Chuck Jackson - AIn't No Sun SInce You've Been Gone [Tamla Motown #TMS-0529] Argentina ONLY! (Taken off Chuck Arrives Motown LP 1968)

Quite a few versions of this been done e.g. GK & Pips, Profonix, Dynamics, Undisputed Truth, Originals, Temptations, Dusty Springfield, Rare Earth ... but this is a cracker

It's on Discogs but none sold - so wonder what price this would be? (https://www.discogs.com/Chuck-Jackson-Sin-Estar-Tu-No-Brilla-El-Sol-Aint-No-Sun-Since-Youve-Been-Gone/release/11253002).  I think Manship had one a few months ago but don't know what it went for?

Great version from Chuck, probably the best one around. It would mix nicely with the following one.

The blue Mirwood label is missing from discogs, JM says it is the first version

soul PICSY

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Guest Shufflin
21 hours ago, Twoshoes said:

Thanks to this thread in particular I've bought some crackers in the last year or so

same here, I think we need a separate thread for lesser known/under the radar/under appreciated (affordable) sounds 

an enjoyable part of being on here in 2019

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Guest Shufflin

anyway flipped over the popular side and discovered this, wow

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
11 hours ago, Mike said:

Like that Mike , bugging me now as soon as it started it reminded me of something  else, possibly something by Adele but not sure, going to be running through my head all day. 

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Hi Twoshoes

Reminds me in places of "Crazy" Or "You got the Love"  🤨

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Here is one of my spins from back in 2014 still love it, still play it, one of those tunes that gets under your skin

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
On 16/01/2020 at 09:19, Scootboy said:

Great version from Chuck, probably the best one around. It would mix nicely with the following one.

The blue Mirwood label is missing from discogs, JM says it is the first version

soul PICSY

For some reason I immediately thought of this when you were talking about ;mixing well'

Gladys Knight & The Pips - The Stranger from Nitty Gritty in 1969 and unreleased on 45 until the box set of unreleased stuff came out a few years back.

Edited by Soulstrutter
  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
20 hours ago, Shufflin said:

anyway flipped over the popular side and discovered this, wow

Superb Deep soul - been getting spins at Sunday sessions for a while now.  There are some superb deep & sweet sides on the flips to well known NS classics e.g. Milton Wright, Don Thomas, High Keys, Alfreda Brockington, Alice Clark, Eula Cooper, Lenny Curtis, Mel Britt, Dena Barnes, Johnny Moore to name just a few.

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
21 hours ago, Mike said:

Come's across as a lovely man - he was on GMB this morning - promoting the release of this new single.  He's in UK touring this year.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Guest Shufflin

I have his 2016 Take Me To The Alley album, this is a standout for me

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Audio Lists - Source Music Forum

Themed soul youtube music video lists

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!