Soul plays, spins, favs 2020

• Replies 627
  • Views 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Run up to the weekend with another Modern spin of mine from 2012 From Saskwatch "Two Hearts"  * Hope you enjoy My Friends* Take Care of yourselves as usual *  Rick 🥰   S

Just quality Soul...........Enjoy 🙂  

Ive go the three 24 Carat Black unissued LP's coming through, all the work of the man 'Dale Warren', you also get the MP3's when you purchase the LP's which is brilliant.  The acetate which I think is

Posted Images

Posted

Couldn't agree more with Weekender re voices, Chaka has always done it for me.  Tossed up between this lesser played ballad and the Rufus classic Sweet Thing.

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Here's another cracking singer. One album....just one album for a guy this good. Should have recorded a lot more. A class soul vocalist.

• Up vote 3
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

A bit of Modern from me this Morning to Lighten up the mood after the Weekend Madness That Is

At Track From *Mestizo Beat* Feat Terin Ector - *Find A Better Way* and a track from the late toots of the maytals as in Brutal.....

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

A bit of Modern from me this Morning to Lighten up the mood after the Weekend Madness That Is

At Track From *Mestizo Beat* Feat Terin Ector - *Find A Better Way* and a track from the late toots of the maytals as in Brutal.....

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Nice lilting track from a band that made some some very interesting music. This one isn't typical of their recordings but it's got a great feel to it...

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

After 2 hrs of boring online training my mind needed some quality soul, and they don't come much better than this which popped up first on a random shuffle 

• Up vote 3
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

Well Still Very Quiet At The Moment But Hey Here's Something To Lighten The Load

One Of My Favourite Singers Who's Vocals Have Been Put To Good Use Here (Billie Holliday), Well I Think So, What Do You Think, As Usual Crank it Up And Enjoy 🎷🎶🎺 Rick

Other Tracks on this Double Album I Am Enjoying at The Moment 

Mercy Me - ft. Josephine Nightingale 

Never Roam No More ft. John Lee Hooker

Tears Run Down Sister ft. Wynona Carr

Edited by Rick Scott
  • Up vote 4
soul source url
Social source share
  • Mike locked and unlocked this topic
Posted

I knew this first by the Four Sonics on Sepia. Had not realised Lorraine RIP had cut her own version! Amazing what you should know  but don't always..

Ed

• Up vote 4
  • Thanks 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
17 hours ago, Rick Scott said:

Well Still Very Quiet At The Moment But Hey Here's Something To Lighten The Load

One Of My Favourite Singers Who's Vocals Have Been Put To Good Use Here (Billie Holliday), Well I Think So, What Do You Think, As Usual Crank it Up And Enjoy 🎷🎶🎺 Rick

Other Tracks on this Double Album I Am Enjoying at The Moment 

Mercy Me - ft. Josephine Nightingale 

Never Roam No More ft. John Lee Hooker

Tears Run Down Sister ft. Wynona Carr

Quality stuff mate from the former JuJu Orchestra

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
8 hours ago, Tomangoes said:

I knew this first by the Four Sonics on Sepia. Had not realised Lorraine RIP had cut her own version! Amazing what you should know  but don't always..

Ed

First label was Giant, love this 👍

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Another Nice Seven inch Single You Might Want To Consider From The Talented Nick Pride and the Pimptones,

Lovely Stuff.....Rick

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
17 hours ago, Tomangoes said:

Ed

and the backing track was revived on 'She won't come back'.

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
13 hours ago, Westender said:

Always interesting, always challenging. 

Nice...could be Terry Callier, so similar.

Ed

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
8 hours ago, Rick Scott said:

Another Nice Seven inch Single You Might Want To Consider From The Talented Nick Pride and the Pimptones,

Lovely Stuff.....Rick

Brilliant singer and musicians. Timing is perfect.

Ed

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Immaculate Memphis soul. Those horns and background vocals, and Ann on top sounding utterly broke up.

A track to come back to time and time again....

• Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

Radio show play for me and getting a great reaction , from latest Curtis Harding Lp 'face your fear'.

Edited by Andybellwood
  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

Also , this one , causing a real buzz of appreciation ....and also playing on radio shows.

Edited by Andybellwood
  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Not what you'd expect from this band! Super cover of the O'Jays track.

Really nicely arranged and featuring an excellent lead vocal...

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Takes me back to seeing them live, I think late 74' at the Farnborough Recreation Centre!  They were one of the better live bands I saw there around that time.

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

The link to the Rolling Stones greatest 500 LPs, reminded me of this which may not be familiar to all and won't be everyone's cup of tea.

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Took this of the shelf this morning forgotten just how good this is, from 1977 Arranged by Willie Hutch Also Co. Written with B.Warren so you know you are in for something Special. Paid £15 for a Demo back in the Day but if you can find an issue the "B" side not bad either, bit more of a dancer but this side does it for me, Enjoy, Rick 🎶😀

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

A Great Record From My Youth "A Face In The Crowd "(1967) with all the atmosphere that Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels can Muster, tucked away on a nice 'B' Side 7" Single * Crank It Up * for Full Effect * Rick * Cheep As Chips Too! *

'B' Side Of Come See About Me

Edited by Rick Scott
more information
  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

Here is a track I never hear talked about, it's a really good cheap and moody number, ged it...! lol

Edited by Mal C
  • Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

Ive go the three 24 Carat Black unissued LP's coming through, all the work of the man 'Dale Warren', you also get the MP3's when you purchase the LP's which is brilliant.  The acetate which I think is the most recent release has another version of Dale's brilliant 'What I Want, originally released by the Precisions on Drew, and then Gloria Taylor on Selector Sound, and this later version via this unissued until now, Acetate, an even more ramped up, and dare I say 'Funky' version....  Love it!! 

The 10 inch acetate release also has a version of 'Any Day now' which I love and found really refreshing to hear... I had no idea he had died so early, in his early 5ts, we see his credits all over the place, but this body of work shows the classically trained arranger, writer and musician's work beyond Shrine, Motown and Detroit.. well worth checking out..

Edited by Mal C
  • Up vote 3
  • Listening 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
On 25/09/2020 at 13:06, Rick Scott said:

Took this of the shelf this morning forgotten just how good this is, from 1977 Arranged by Willie Hutch Also Co. Written with B.Warren so you know you are in for something Special. Paid £15 for a Demo back in the Day but if you can find an issue the "B" side not bad either, bit more of a dancer but this side does it for me, Enjoy, Rick 🎶😀

Just had to check out the other side on YouTube fantastic not heard it before.

• Up vote 4
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Heard this for the 1st time at the Bury VAN on Sat night, played by Charlie Smith, This was one of the highlights of a top set.  If this had got plays in 79 it could have been massive at jazz funk venues/Cleethorpes.

• Up vote 4
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
17 hours ago, Tomangoes said:

Bought this old mecca tune around 78, but have never heard it out.

Still a cheapie I think.

Ed

I sold this eons ago, wondering why now.

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
23 minutes ago, Soulman58 said:

I sold this eons ago, wondering why now.

I'd bet there's hardly a collector out there who hasn't had a similar thought, I know I have, thankfully looking back I can't remember the majority of things I've sold until I hear something played out. In the past I've sold to buy a cricket bat for my son, spending money for a holiday with my then girlfriend (what a waste that was), a batch to a British collector to pay the bills where I can't remember one single tune. The only consolation is it seemed the right thing to do at the time.   

• Up vote 4
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

too true, Ive recently let allot of sixties northern go, as some of you have seen. I needed some cash for a work project, but the up side is my Carp Kit (Fishing) is now the dogs, reels, rods, nets and end tackle... money well spent in my book..

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

Tomangoes said bought this old Mecca tune around 78, but have never heard it out

From 1971 and as you rightly say was a big Spin at the Mecca and for us at Cleggy, strange how some records have Staying Power and others Don't but i suppose music evolving in different ways and the Style of Dancing Changing too, something do do with getting Old I believe 🙄, the wealth of great new releases coming through along with the rare stuff being found meant some record were removed from your play box to make way for others (some not likely not to return) this record fell Victim to that like lots of others did but i still like it but can't remember the last time i played it..shame

Edited by Rick Scott
extra text
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
6 hours ago, Twoshoes said:

I'd bet there's hardly a collector out there who hasn't had a similar thought, I know I have, thankfully looking back I can't remember the majority of things I've sold until I hear something played out. In the past I've sold to buy a cricket bat for my son, spending money for a holiday with my then girlfriend (what a waste that was), a batch to a British collector to pay the bills where I can't remember one single tune. The only consolation is it seemed the right thing to do at the time.   

There have been a few occasions recently where I've seen bits I bought for 10 dollars or less selling for fairly good prices.  I'm sure I have them still but after time looking they must have been sold at some point.  I used to remember all sales but dipping in and out and taking long breaks from records makes it harder to remember.

And not keeping some kind of up to date typed list with ins and outs and relying on memory makes it impossible.

• Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
1 hour ago, Dylan said:

There have been a few occasions recently where I've seen bits I bought for 10 dollars or less selling for fairly good prices.  I'm sure I have them still but after time looking they must have been sold at some point.  I used to remember all sales but dipping in and out and taking long breaks from records makes it harder to remember.

And not keeping some kind of up to date typed list with ins and outs and relying on memory makes it impossible.

I know that feeling well.  I've looked for an original copy of the Carstairs on and off for a few months, I'm sure I've buried it somewhere in the house at some point!!!

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Not often that i would prefer another artist's version of a song over Wilson Pickett, but Kenny just shades it with his take which has great horns and a vocal that is none too shabby...

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments/views now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Log back in to Soul Source now!
    • 1 / 455
    • keithw on 19 Aug 2013