23 hours ago, Shufflin said:

fav of mine, have the LP version

The sound quality of the 45 is very good, worth having it 👍

soul GP

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Guest Shufflin

this has suddenly increased in price for the rarer stock copy, such an ace tune, grabbed a M- stock copy for sensible money, quality soul music

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

haven't played this in a while so pulled it out to play, still sound fresh.......

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Guest Shufflin

the Belgian popcorn scene is very interesting and they play some great soul records, here's one I aquired recently, a 'Big City' soul sound from 1963 NY

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

My popcorn choice 😉 The white promo version had been posted last year from David

Mine is the standard red

soul Mr.H

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Some of my current favourite Northern spins this evening.  

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

One of the most Motownesque non Motown recordings

• Up vote 3

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

• Up vote 3

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
12 hours ago, Shufflin said:

the Belgian popcorn scene is very interesting and they play some great soul records, here's one I aquired recently, a 'Big City' soul sound from 1963 NY

Very true, I've been listening to Popcorn off and on for the last few years, you have to trawl through some mundane stuff but as you say there's some class tunes .I wasn't aware until told by a long time collector the other week you have to be careful as the Belgians apparently were not to shy at booting popular tunes which surprised me, where have we heard that before, made me question a couple of things I've bought recently. Jeff Lane, nice tune.

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
1 hour ago, Twoshoes said:

I wasn't aware until told by a long time collector the other week you have to be careful as the Belgians apparently were not to shy at booting popular tunes which surprised me, where have we heard that before, made me question a couple of things I've bought recently. 

This is a bright example. Only available as a boot. I can't find it to take a picture

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Guest Shufflin
9 hours ago, Twoshoes said:

you have to be careful as the Belgians apparently were not to shy at booting popular tunes

okay thanks for the heads up

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Cracking track from New Birth, who made some great records and featured one of our music's most under rated singers. Wonder what would have happened had Leslie Wilson gone solo and been properly promoted. We'll never know....

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

My first buy in 2020. Nice n cheap blue eyed soul. This is the original Mira version. Not everyones cup of tea but I like it.

The Forum - The River Is Wide

Edited by Majy
  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

just dragged this Soulful Gem off my shelf and forgotten just how good it is, It Builds and builds.... the Very Under Rated Wee Gee You've Been a Part of Me, mmm mmm mmm Rick

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Guest Shufflin

on the new side of things this is great, sheer quality

soul carter

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Folowing on from the 'Wee Gee' track i posted up on yesterday here we have the full length LP Version Of a track by 'Round Robin Monopoly' which is in my mind on another level to the single version (which i own too) As with Wee Gee this builds and builds to the crescendo at the end with some beautiful Horn Blowing and Soulfulness. Just love it, hope you do too.   Rick

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Very nice Rick. A new name to me.

Here's something a bit different. Contemporary US Band who mix soul, blues and rock to very good effect. Maybe not for everyone but i think this is really nice and plenty soulful enough....

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Hi Westender,

New name to me, Real Nice, Love this Type of Laid Back Blue eyed Rock/Soul and the BB King style guitar work is Cool, Very nice Song, Thanks for Posting.

Rick

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

My 2nd buy this year for under a tenner.

The Feathers - Tryin' To Get To You

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Nice track Westender ... didn't think I was going to like it on 'first sight' ... shows how wrong you can be by pre-judging!!!!

Looked them up and this is from their 3rd album 'Carolina Confessions' from 2018 ...available Vinyl/CD (but no digital yet?)

https://www.marcuskingband.colortestmerch.com/collections/all-products/products/carolina-confessions-cd

and checked a few of their other tracks but most (that I can find anyway) are very rock oriented.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Very happy to bag a copy of this at a fraction of Discogs price this week

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

I've been putting together a few playlists this afternoon, and the following are 3 from my Jazz/Funk list.

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Billy made some great records, often with a heavy Gospel flavour. He was a brilliant musician and no mean singer.

Loved this when it was released. Still sounds so very good....

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Guest Shufflin

love the stompers and this vocal performance is full of gritty energy, proper NS in my book

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Just got this off Ebay for under £7 but there are plenty on discogs for under £20

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Guest Shufflin

have the original LP but just got an alert it's now available as a re-issue, Terry Callier LP with his later take on Ordinary Joe, track below is stand out one (I can't seem to show vids anymore just links) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=348srPgFsVQ

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
3 hours ago, Shufflin said:

have the original LP but just got an alert it's now available as a re-issue, Terry Callier LP with his later take on Ordinary Joe, track below is stand out one (I can't seem to show vids anymore just links) 

the auto embeding seems to work ok with chrome, may be a browser issue?

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Nice record for well under £20 quid

Howard Tate - It's Too Late

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

been in my boxes against this is what i pulled out.....turn up loud and enjoy

• Up vote 1
  • Listening 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

and the wonderful Gene Middleton

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

and this from Phil  Colbert..........

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
On 27/01/2020 at 17:24, Majy said:

Just got this off Ebay for under £7 but there are plenty on discogs for under £20

... that's because it's a bootleg! Soul Fox was Simon Soussan's label - he 'allegedly' stole the tapes from Mirwood.  It is actually an unreleased track by The Mirettes titled 'I Want To Do Everything For You Baby' - so the Belles are really The Mirettes.

Edited by Soulstrutter
Addition
  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
2 hours ago, Rick Scott said:

and the wonderful Gene Middleton

2 quality tunes you just posted there Rick.  I love the smooth 70s sound!  Got the Gene Middleton on Funk Factory years ago and play out at every opportunity ... just pure class!  Gradually rising in price as it becomes more appreciated.

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
6 minutes ago, Soulstrutter said:

2 quality tunes you just posted there Rick.  

You beat me to it, well said that man! 

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

The Gene Middleton track is a sure fire winner. But flip it over and you get this gem! Great double sider from a very good singer. Shame he didn't record more. 

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
2 hours ago, Soulstrutter said:

2 quality tunes you just posted there Rick.  I love the smooth 70s sound!  Got the Gene Middleton on Funk Factory years ago and play out at every opportunity ... just pure class!  Gradually rising in price as it becomes more appreciated.

Cheers for that my Friend , mine is on Andee, Which was first, Anyone Know? Says unknown for release date on Discogs on the Andee release, remember having a different version/mix of Drifters 'Got To Pay Your Dues' on Andee too at one time? 

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

This Ain't bad for a cheapie 

pulled this off the shelf to spin earlier today and forgot to put it up, Alway overshadowed by "Telephone" but great regardless, Love it

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
5 minutes ago, Rick Scott said:

Cheers for that my Friend , mine is on Andee, Which was first, Anyone Know? Says unknown for release date on Discogs on the Andee release, remember having a different version/mix of Drifters 'Got To Pay Your Dues' on Andee too at one time? 

On Discogs the going rate is less for the Andee release .... so checked 45 Cat and sorry to be bearer of bad news but ... it lists it as a bootleg!!!

https://www.45cat.com/artist/gene-middleton

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
4 minutes ago, Soulstrutter said:

On Discogs the going rate is less for the Andee release .... so checked 45 Cat and sorry to be bearer of bad news but ... it lists it as a bootleg!!!

https://www.45cat.com/artist/gene-middleton

wonder what the story is on the Drifters is as it is certainly different to the Atlantic issue Manship lists this as 2nd Issue??

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
3 minutes ago, Rick Scott said:

wonder what the story is on the Drifters is as it is certainly different to the Atlantic issue Manship lists this as 2nd Issue??

It looks an odd label with a mix of artists who recorded for other labels and the few that I've checked all the tracks were released earlier on other labels (haven't checked them all) ... so perhaps it was a reissue label (legit or otherwise?) which seemed to span from 1971-75?

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
2 minutes ago, Soulstrutter said:

It looks an odd label with a mix of artists who recorded for other labels and the few that I've checked all the tracks were released earlier on other labels (haven't checked them all) ... so perhaps it was a reissue label (legit or otherwise?) which seemed to span from 1971-75?

Prince Johnny Robinsons version of That girl is rated -X (Andee) was a big spin back in the day (1974) but not seen it listed on any other US label, strange label indeed, Rick

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
12 hours ago, Rick Scott said:

Prince Johnny Robinsons version of That girl is rated -X (Andee) was a big spin back in the day (1974) but not seen it listed on any other US label, strange label indeed, Rick

You're right! ... also a good tune ... done later '75 (JRP listed as '74)  on Virtue/Power Exchange (UK) by Ann Byers ... but if you notice on PJR's version the backing singers are singing 'the MAN is rated X' ... whilst he is singing 'That Girl is rated X' so perhaps used the same backing track? ... or perhaps done at same session and JPR's version was dropped but picked up by Andee ... all supposition on my part.

There is also an instrumental version by Virtues with a different title 'Doin' it on Andee (the b side is weird with sitars in it!!!!)  ... so the plot thickens':

Some blurb I found by Tramp Records about Virtue is quite interesting:

"Virtue Studios had a package deal where a group could pay a flat fee of $300-$500, record two songs, and have them pressed as a 45 on their own label, or on the Virtue house label. This package deal resulted in some of the most unusual sounding, low-fidelity soul and garage 45s that are highly sought after today."   ... may explain although Virtue in Philly and Andee in Dade County Florida?

:

Edited by Soulstrutter

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
1 hour ago, Rick Scott said:

This Ain't bad for a cheapie 

pulled this off the shelf to spin earlier today and forgot to put it up, Alway overshadowed by "Telephone" but great regardless, Love it

Nice one .. a new one on me ... starts slow but a minute in it grabs you when chorus kicks in. It's like 2 songs in one - the chorus is superb but then it all slows down again and goes a bit funky. It's a grower.  Just checked out the B side which is not too shabby - I'll post it here for others to decide.

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
17 hours ago, Majy said:

Nice record for well under £20 quid

Howard Tate - It's Too Late

Got this in a Soul Bowl soul pack mid 70s and always 'wondered' about it as at that time it was too jerky/funky ... but it's probably about right for now.  Only 9 releases on the label all by Howard Tate or Lloyd Price except one release from The Coasters.  There's a instrumental version of Heard It Through The Grapevine by Lloyd Price Orch. which 'might' be interesting (or might not) but not heard it (through the grapevine or otherwise 🙂

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
13 hours ago, Soulstrutter said:

Got this in a Soul Bowl soul pack mid 70s and always 'wondered' about it as at that time it was too jerky/funky ... but it's probably about right for now.  Only 9 releases on the label all by Howard Tate or Lloyd Price except one release from The Coasters.  There's a instrumental version of Heard It Through The Grapevine by Lloyd Price Orch. which 'might' be interesting (or might not) but not heard it (through the grapevine or otherwise 🙂

Also have Howard Tate - Ann Byres and Virtues all of which got plenty of spins.

Would love to know a lot more about Andee Records and Who was behind it all, don't remember seeing anything on Soul- Source in the past but i am sure there may well be someone on here knows a lot more about it than i do 😉

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

All quiet on the Soulful Front 🤨 But i will not be put off. From 2006 (and Still plenty of them out there 14 years on if you did not pick up on release) but remember great records won't always be around as some of us have found to our cost. A Marvin Gaye ish outing which every Lover of Quality Modern Soul Should Own, Love it! Crank it up and Enjoy, Have a Fab Weekend and be Kind to One Another, Cheers, Rick

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Soul Media - Audio/Video Forum

A soul radio, podcasts, video talk forum

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

1. 10 Biggies! 10 Floorfiller! 10 Top Spins! R&b Northern Popcorn
    Sale Websites by mojorecords on Wed 28 Oct 2009
    • 1 / 749
    • mojorecords on 28 Oct 2009
  2. Big Dj Spins - Reggie Sadler, Sonny Herman, Jackey Beavers
    Record Sales by Ion T on Thu 09 Aug 2012
    • 1 / 835
    • Ion T on 09 Aug 2012
  3. Few X- Over Big Spins - Limited Edition Or Just Plain In-demand
    Record Sales by keithw on Tue 26 Jul 2011
    • 1 / 793
    • keithw on 26 Jul 2011
  4. Richard Searling Spins Revisited
    All About The Soul by Pete S on Tue 25 Aug 2015
    • 9 / 1319
    • Godzilla on 26 Aug 2015
  5. Gary Rushbrooke Spins
    All About The Soul by mark hanson on Thu 25 Feb 2010
    • 65 / 7724
    • Sidra on 04 Mar 2010

Source Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.