Mike profile photo

Soul plays, spins, favs 2020

Posted

Got one of these the other week, Talk About Underpriced. 

• Up vote 5

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Another beauty with Stafford writ large and price writ small.

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Been ready for this one this for quite a while, timing & swaps coincided nicely, so good and so inexpensive. Gorgeous imhfo

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Guest Shufflin profile photo
Posted

been into this for years but only recently aquired it, I love the accent to the vocals, cracking backing vocals too, this stomper is my fav by them (still cheap even though not many about in decent condition)

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

I love this one

soul HS

• Up vote 3

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Another recent addition, some come, some go, but they keep coming!

• Up vote 4

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Tutu made some good albums a few years back. In the soul/blues territory but all very nice....

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

.... As Jo Armstead was mentioned ... been plugging this lately ... sit down, pour a drink and listen to 7 minutes of deep soul heaven ... released on her own Preacher Rose label sometime in the 90s.  This sorts out the men from the boys ... if you don't like this then you can't appreciate 'real' soul music 🙂 😉

Edited by Soulstrutter
  • Up vote 5

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

*"Classic soul"* on the 'B' side of "Got My Taste" ( Of The Honey) one of the Greatest Double Siders Ever with  both sides Getting Big Spins Back In The Day At 'Proper Soul Nites', MMMMMMMMMMMMM 

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Whilst in a deep soul mood 🙂 ... if you've not heard this before you're in for a treat .... 'probably' the best version of this Marvin Gaye penned Originals classic 'Baby I'm For Real' covered by dozens of artists but this is Liz Lands from Hamilton Bohannon's 1980 Music In The Air LP (also got a 45 release but a shorter version to LP).  She did lead vocals on 6 of the 8 tracks so to all intents and purposes it's her album???  Her vocals on this are insane!

• Up vote 3

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
On 22/02/2020 at 16:52, Imperial C said:

Been ready for this one this for quite a while, timing & swaps coincided nicely, so good and so inexpensive. Gorgeous imhfo

Great tune ... also done a couple of years later by Esther Phillips on Roulette. 

Another by Otis Leavill I've always liked is Love Uprising also done by Jackie Wilson (1970), Chi-Lites (1971), Joyce Lawson (1981) and there's a funky gospel take by Bronze Connection (produced by B. Franklin ... wonder if it's Boby (Ladies Choice) Franklin?) ... but for me the best version is by Mister 'T' (Alonzo Tucker) which also has a nice deep cut 'Saving My Love For You' on flip.  Well worth picking up but price seems to be creeping up ... about £70-£75 now?

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Was Esther Phillips On A Single, Or An Album Please 🙂 Would Love to Hear her Version... Rick

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Rick if you mean Baby I'm for Real then it's on a 1971 US LP on Kudu records, my copy below,  side 2 track 2 - it was released on 45 a year later

soul IMG_1842

Edited by Shufflin

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Shufflin said:

Rick if you mean Baby I'm for Real then it's on a 1971 US LP on Kudu records, my copy below,  side 2 track 2 - it was released on 45 a year later

soul IMG_1842

At work but will look forward to digging that out when I get home, hopefully still in the rack, might cheer me up after a disappointing day, took a risk on a couple of records due to being cheap and both look unlikely to play, another lesson learnt, got another cheap that looks too good to be true, no mention of Reissue on Discogs but it don't look right to my un trained eye. 

Edited by Twoshoes

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
26 minutes ago, Twoshoes said:

took a risk on a couple of records due to being cheap and both look unlikely to play, another lesson learnt

happens to me occasionally, always disappointing, last week a record arrived from the US and I dropped it on the day it arrived, cracked in half half, doh

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Rick Scott said:

Was Esther Phillips On A Single, Or An Album Please 🙂 Would Love to Hear her Version... Rick

Hi Rick ... sorry for confusion I was actually responding to the Otis Leavill - Nobody But You posting stating that Esther Phillips did her version in 1969 on Roulette ... but she also did do a cover of Baby I'm For Real on 'From A Whisper To A Scream' in 1971 ... not sure which one you are referring to so added them both 🙂

P.S. Baby I'm For Real did also come out on 45 on Kudu in 1972 (should get one for under a tenner).  Nobody But You Discogs prices  Median £41 High £100 (for issue / promos a bit more) ... only one currently for sale for £90 from Holland.

Edited by Soulstrutter
  • Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

... following on from the Jo Armstead posting earlier I've been sifting through her material - surprising she only released about a dozen 45s and a solitary LP (discounting the 'Stone Good Lover' compilation from 96) 'Red Hot' which came out in 2005 on her Preacher Rose label (still available on Amazon/CD Baby etc.).  I think 'He Moves Me' has had some exposure already (?) but another track I like from it is a modern stepper 'The Brightest Light' featuring her daughter Chandra Armstead) (sounds like she's singing most of the track to my ears).

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Sorry lads i thought Esther had done a cover of "Love Uprising" You Had me going there  🤣 As i have the other stuff * Rick *

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
6 hours ago, Soulstrutter said:

Hi Rick ... sorry for confusion I was actually responding to the Otis Leavill - Nobody But You posting stating that Esther Phillips did her version in 1969 on Roulette ... but she also did do a cover of Baby I'm For Real on 'From A Whisper To A Scream' in 1971 ... not sure which one you are referring to so added them both 🙂

P.S. Baby I'm For Real did also come out on 45 on Kudu in 1972 (should get one for under a tenner).  Nobody But You Discogs prices  Median £41 High £100 (for issue / promos a bit more) ... only one currently for sale for £90 from Holland.

ONE OF THE BEST ALBUMS EVER MADE

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Another one in the soul/blues vein. Very nice track from Sherman Robertson with a strong vocal and some tasty guitar work....

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
18 hours ago, Algsoul said:

yep, right from track 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
18 hours ago, Algsoul said:

..and from the follow-up 'Alone Again, Naturally' a decent rendition of 'I've Never Found A Man (To Love Me Like You Do)'

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

I sat and listened to the whole LP yesterday, it's an experience for sure, what a song to open an album with, brave choice really and so relevant today

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
27 minutes ago, Shufflin said:

I sat and listened to the whole LP yesterday, it's an experience for sure, what a song to open an album with, brave choice really and so relevant today

Scott-Heron original on flip to Revolution Will Not Be Televised still relatively cheap .. also found a new version from 1996 by Bossa Notra Feat. Vicki Anderson Italian only 12'' .. it's on YT if you want to search for it!

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
53 minutes ago, Soulstrutter said:

..and from the follow-up 'Alone Again, Naturally' a decent rendition of 'I've Never Found A Man (To Love Me Like You Do)'

The Sammy (Acuna) version on Sly still does it for me.  Seems to be his and the label's only release ... sounds like early 80s ... anyone any more info? The label says Hollywood, CA 1982 so would guess 82 is the year of release.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Just found this on CD Baby ... Byron Jamez - Time Machine (Club Mix) ... appears to be download only ... NB ignore the Six Nine 45 just released (Jan 2020) as it's not this mix  .... this is the best mix i.e. SS1 remix or club mix.  It looks like it was originally released in 2015 .. the remix 2018 and the 2015 version just issued on vinyl by Six Nine records.  Perhaps they'll issue the club mix on vinyl? ... which is superior to my ears

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Just found this on CD Baby ... Byron Jamez - Time Machine (Club Mix)

Cheers Soul Strutter *Yep ! by far the best version,Thanks for shareing, Very Nice*

....Rick 

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

currently enjoying this LP only track on Wand, what a performance from the great man and superb backing vocals

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

A posting for Carmichael Musiclover in 'New Releases 2020' topic prompted me to dig out Journey album from 2018 for this superb deep/mellow track.  It appears that most (if not all) of his albums are self-released hence 'under the radar' but he's released 9 albums since 2003 and created some great music!

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Back to the basics, a long time favourite 😎

soul CMWAI

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Kin Brilliant

Edited by Imperial C
  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Fantastic driving southern soul. Great vocal from Alder, matching the very high quality band (those horns!!)

• Up vote 3

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, Westender said:

Fantastic driving southern soul. Great vocal from Alder, matching the very high quality band (those horns!!)

Four years earlier

soul AR

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Another Otis Leavill beauty, great version of Mill Evans classic, love em both

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Beautifully produced and arranged early recording from the wonderful Walter Jackson. Something about that achingly soulful voice gets to me every time......

• Up vote 3

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

From 1987 great piece soulfulness that will not cost you an arm and a leg and there are still copies to be had on the net, the Wonderful 'Reggie S' -  Do You Still Love Me ? (City Records) 

Pulled it off the shelf over the weekend and it didn't go back, Too damn good for that, bought as a new release when there

was a few soulful tracks like this getting spins for those that wanted to listen ...... Enjoy.... Rick

PS Be sure to listen to ALL of the track 🙂      

If not convinced, *"Play It Again Sam" * 

Edited by Rick Scott
more text added

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Hot 🙂 an interesting blend of JB aching vocals to a soul (rather than funk) backing track, also on a Brazilian EP as posted up by Brian P on YT yesterday

not expensive in either case (shipping aside)

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Great tune, first time I ever listened it, JB sounds like Sy Hightower 😉

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
16 hours ago, Rick Scott said:

From 1987 great piece soulfulness that will not cost you an arm and a leg and there are still copies to be had on the net, the Wonderful 'Reggie S' -  Do You Still Love Me ? (City Records) 

Pulled it off the shelf over the weekend and it didn't go back, Too damn good for that, bought as a new release when there

was a few soulful tracks like this getting spins for those that wanted to listen ...... Enjoy.... Rick

A new track to me and one that highlights how much of 80s/90s soul in particular is hard to listen to. Here we have a good singer (a bit like Peabo Bryson), some nice back ups and a decent enough song but that synthesized backing track with a monotonous over promoted drum machine is a complete turn off.

I do wonder sometimes what tracks like this would sound like with a real band. 

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
4 hours ago, Westender said:

I do wonder sometimes what tracks like this would sound like with a real band.

"A Lot better without a doubt" But unfortunately for people like Reggie S money was probably TIGHT so He went with what he could afford.

Music had changed too (not for the Better It Has To Be Said) as we moved from the 70s Into The 80s (they Called it Progression, oh how we laughed) Synthesisers and electronic Drums/Instruments was big Business And a lot of singers and Bands went down that Route (Like it or Not)  Personally i would alway go for the real thing, of course i would, why wouldn't i, You can't beat Real Live Instruments.I take your point but i would Rather Have THIS than nothing at all.

I love this Song His Voice is exceptional and love the Lady Backing Singers, So Simple a Song, Atmospheric and gets under your skin with every play, I know a lot of people who In the past Dismissed Songs like this on release then later on the Penny Dropped but too late, all gone disappeared and fetching money so i say, lets be grateful that people like Reggie give us Wonderful Music.

On Another Note, does anyone know What Reggie's Last name is or did he just use Reggie S as a Recording/Performing name?

Many, Thanks Rick.   

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Rick, Take your point about finance. The music business changed to an industry and the money wasn't there to spend on musicians and in crafting the kind of music that had made the 60's and 70's so memorable. Why pay for a horn section and a drummer when a machine can do the job? Yep, I get the rationale in going down the technology route but artistically we lost so much in my view. 

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

I get the rationale in going down the technology route but artistically we lost so much in my view. 

Yes Totally Agree, Shame really but thankfully Music  has gone full circle in a lot of cases and we have some Fine singers and Real Musicians today to carry on the tredition of real sound Real Singers and Musicians, long may it last. Rick  

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Northern Soul perfection

soul MKOG

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

^^ this one is in my top 10, very nice dancing too 🙂

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Starting the Ball Rolling with a fab track from the 90s,  Long Time Since I Played This, Just ripe for a few new spins me thinks, What do you Think........ 

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Another track i played back in the day, Oozes  SOUL, Take a tablet to calm the nerves, i kid you not......Rick

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

liking this, you can get an EX copy delivered for less than a Costa latte 🙂

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, Shufflin said:

liking this, you can get an EX copy delivered for less than a Costa latte 🙂

Nice one! ... A couple of 'interesting' notes:  The Undisputed Truth released this in Jun 1973 (Gordy) (with Just My Imagination on the flip) but this doesn't appear to have got a US 45 release for Tempts ... maybe because UT didn't get into Hot 100 they decided not to put it out by the Tempts or perhaps it was too similar? ... but given it almost hit top 40 UK you'd have thought they'd have tried it?

It was the Temps last UK hit for a while after a long run (#41 in 1973). It only spent 4 weeks in chart but I always thought it did better than that as seem to recall hearing it on the radio a lot back in the day (memory playing tricks?) They had to wait until 1982 to make a mark on UK charts again with Standing On The Top (#53 in 1982) followed by Treat Her like A Lady (#12 in 1984). ... Didn't Treat Her Like Lady get some spins on the scene about 20 years ago (I seem to recall Steve Jeffries playing it at Albrighton) ... which always surprised me given it was almost a top 10 hit here!

... and of course the Alfie Kahn inst version got all-nighter spins circa '76.

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

^^ good info thanks, got this after hearing Kev Roberts talk about it  (I think it was a Dean Anderson show from a couple of years ago), from memory

Edited by Shufflin

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Treat Her like A Lady (#12 in 1984). ... Didn't Treat Her Like Lady get some spins on the scene about 20 years ago (I seem to recall Steve Jeffries playing it at Albrighton) ... which always surprised me given it was almost a top 10 hit here! 

Actualy Treat her Like A Lady was played on the 'Scene' as a new release in '84 as were a lot of new releases back then, Was in my Box No Worries,

Some others that come to mind...Uk Chart entries That we had on Imports prior to their release in the UK. (These are UK entries)

Esther Phillips - 'What a difference a day made'  Oct.'75 -  made it to No 6 In Charts ( Spent 8 weeks in charts)

George Benson - 'Super ship' Oct '75 - Made it to No 30 In Charts (Spent 6 Weeks in Charts)

Lalo Shifron  Theme from 'JAWS' Oct '76 - made it to No 14 in charts (Spent 9 Weeks in Charts) Was a Monster at the 'Blackpool Mecca' Amongst other places surprisingly

An earlier single that got picked up on at the time of release was 'Curtis Mayfields Anthem 'Move on up' July '71 Which made it to No 12 in Charts (Spent 10 Weeks in Charts)  

Of course there were many more from the likes of Luther Va Dross, and loads of the Philadelphia International and Invictus Records output, far too many to list right now, so no surprise to me but i suppose you had to be there to appreciate it all, but i think you get the Picture  

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url

Soul Media - Audio/Video Forum

A soul radio, podcasts, video talk forum

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

1. Awaiting radio show plays
    Soul Media by Andybellwood on Wed 01 Apr 2020
    • 1 / 103
    • Andybellwood on 01 Apr 2020
  2. Three awesome R&B Mod groovy spins for sale !
    Record Sales by Costas on Fri 27 Mar 2020
    • 1 / 258
    • Costas on 27 Mar 2020
  3. Latest radio show plays (March)
    Soul Media by Andybellwood on Wed 18 Mar 2020
    • 1 / 141
    • Andybellwood on 18 Mar 2020
  4. LES McCANN "Plays The Hits" LP
    Record Sales by Donkit on Sun 27 Oct 2019
    • 2 / 313
    • Northern Soul Uk on 07 Mar 2020

Source Adverts

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.