Show us your great photos (2020)

Amsterdam Russ

Thanks Russel.  Always good to get a New year off with a flyer. 

I'm sharing this photograph from my instragm feed that was posted today from an area of the  Pembrokeshire coast that I know very well at Marloes.  

A Swift.  It's not the end of April or September its the 1st of January.  Can't believe that it's not only been sighted but they managed to get the picture 

soul 20200101_220919

Social source share

1 hour ago, Winsford Soul said:

Thanks Russel.  Always good to get a New year off with a flyer. 

I'm sharing this photograph from my instragm feed that was posted today from an area of the  Pembrokeshire coast that I know very well at Marloes.  

A Swift.  It's not the end of April or September its the 1st of January.  Can't believe that it's not only been sighted but they managed to get the picture 

Somehow doesn't surprise me, although authentication would be preferred (not from you, but from the actual source). Over the Christmas period I've seen two bees and one wasp around our still-flowering balcony geraniums. And earlier today saw a ladybird. 

Weird!

Social source share

7 hours ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

Somehow doesn't surprise me, although authentication would be preferred (not from you, but from the actual source). Over the Christmas period I've seen two bees and one wasp around our still-flowering balcony geraniums. And earlier today saw a ladybird. 

Weird!

Russell. 

Confirmation  from Pembrokeshire Bird Group on their website as to 3 different  birders seeing it.  I've no doubts about it as this website is the go to one for any information when visiting the county 

Steve 

soul Screenshot_20200102 065853_Chrome

Social source share

16 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Cheers Graham.  Happy New Year 

Thanks Steve. Happy New Year to you.

I do not take photographs but I would encourage soulsourcers to feed the birds , it is so rewarding, in my urban garden I have managed to see  Goldfinch, Robin , various Tits , 1 Blackcap amongst others and also the sight of a Sparrowhawk swooping for the Goldfinches

It is well worth the expense.  

Edited by Shinehead
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

13 minutes ago, Shinehead said:

Thanks Steve. Happy New Year to you.

I do not take photographs but I would encourage soulsourcers to feed the birds , it is so rewarding, in my urban garden I have managed to see  Goldfinch, Robin , various Tits , 1 Blackcap amongst others and also the sight of a Sparrowhawk swooping for the Goldfinches

It is well worth the expense.  

Totally agree with you on that. I have a small garden.  3 miles away from Manchester city centre.  Daily visits off Great, Coal, Blue and long tailed Tit. Goldfinch,  Chaffinch,  Bullfinch and occasionally Greenfinch, Jays,  Magpie, collared dove, wood pigeon,  Dunnocks,  Robin,  Blackbirds,  Song Thrush, House Sparrows,  Starlings  occasionally Mistle Thrush, Sparrowhawk , Tawny owl and last winter for the first time I had Siskins and Redwings. I also see Buzzards and the odd Peregrine falcon and Ring necked parakeets plus foxes and squirrel.  So as Graham says, feed the birds, i only ever put sunflower hearts in the feeders which they seem to prefer 

Steve 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Totally agree with you on that. I have a small garden.  3 miles away from Manchester city centre.  Daily visits off Great, Coal, Blue and long tailed Tit. Goldfinch,  Chaffinch,  Bullfinch and occasionally Greenfinch, Jays,  Magpie, collared dove, wood pigeon,  Dunnocks,  Robin,  Blackbirds,  Song Thrush, House Sparrows,  Starlings  occasionally Mistle Thrush, Sparrowhawk , Tawny owl and last winter for the first time I had Siskins and Redwings. I also see Buzzards and the odd Peregrine falcon and Ring necked parakeets plus foxes and squirrel.  So as Graham says, feed the birds, i only ever put sunflower hearts in the feeders which they seem to prefer 

Steve 

I would second the sunflower hearts in feeders , no waste and suet pellets for non seed eaters , I am sorry to say I have not seen a Song Thrush in my garden for years which due to the abundance of snails in my garden is a shame because its song is a delight. 

Sorry for taking the focus off the wonderful  photographs. 

Social source share

18 minutes ago, Shinehead said:

I would second the sunflower hearts in feeders , no waste and suet pellets for non seed eaters , I am sorry to say I have not seen a Song Thrush in my garden for years which due to the abundance of snails in my garden is a shame because its song is a delight. 

Sorry for taking the focus off the wonderful  photographs. 

I don't think that Mike or Russell will mind as it is a wildlife themed topic mate. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

I wonder - would that have been an overwintering swift or a very, very early summer arrival?

My earliest date for Swifts is the 21st April but they could be in somewhere else earlier and if your not out and about for a couple of weeks when they arrive obviously your sightings date will be influenced 

Edited by Winsford Soul
Social source share

26 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

My earliest date for Swifts is the 21st April but they could be in somewhere else earlier and if your not out and about for a couple of weeks when they arrive obviously your sightings date will be influenced 

More likely to be an early arrival then. Otherwise it would surely have been spotted prior to those March dates.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Hell of difference to Pembrokeshire to South Coast . In terms of location and winds Storms .

More likely to be American Swift . Just my opinion.  Probably sheltering behind a Waterfall as it retains Temperature.  If one present . 

I very much doubt seeing a Common Swift in Scotland prior to April . Clue to Swallows . Called English Riviera.  Might check out Grimsae Wetlands . Swifts ( Common ) fly in flocks . Not solitary . So in Scotland must be in Lancashire. 

As it is on Migration path 

Social source share

30 minutes ago, Soulfulmerlin said:

Hell of difference to Pembrokeshire to South Coast . In terms of location and winds Storms .

More likely to be American Swift . Just my opinion.  Probably sheltering behind a Waterfall as it retains Temperature.  If one present . 

I very much doubt seeing a Common Swift in Scotland prior to April . Clue to Swallows . Called English Riviera.  Might check out Grimsae Wetlands . Swifts ( Common ) fly in flocks . Not solitary . So in Scotland must be in Lancashire. 

As it is on Migration path 

It's less than 100 miles as the crow flies ( pun intended) from the birds location to the English Riviera.  I've seen individual Swifts , flockless. My earliest date for Swifts was a solitary bird over the Dee estuary at rspb  Burton mere wetlands centre 

I've contacted the Pembrokeshire Bird Group regarding your questioning of the common Swift against it being a American Swift. Which is a very pertinent question given the location.  I will get back to you as soon as I recieve a reply 

Social source share

23 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

It's less than 100 miles as the crow flies ( pun intended) from the birds location to the English Riviera.  I've seen individual Swifts , flockless. My earliest date for Swifts was a solitary bird over the Dee estuary at rspb  Burton mere wetlands centre 

I've contacted the Pembrokeshire Bird Group regarding your questioning of the common Swift against it being a American Swift. Which is a very pertinent question given the location.  I will get back to you as soon as I recieve a reply 

Soulfulmerlin.  Here's the copied and pasted reply from Pembrokeshire Bird Group regarding the Swift 

Thanks for the thoughts on the swift Steve. Just shows you can never be sure what's going to turn up. From the sightings, all by very experienced birders and photos it's looking like a Common swift. Probably pushed north on the strong southerlies the UKs been experiencing. Hope you enjoy reading the blog. I'm originally from the north-west though been in Pembs for 40 years. Eastern stonechat on my old stomping grounds Neumanns Flash. We'd never heard of such a thing back then.

best wishes and good birding for 2020

Brian

I've been out today around Pennington flash showing the swift pictures to birders who 100% to a man said common swift,  these guys are the reference books on birding for me

Steve 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

50 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Lapwing in breeding plumage. These Red listed endangered birds look stunning when the sunlight catches there iridescent plumage, which hopefully i,ve captured enough to do the birds justice

soul IB2A2184 (2)

soul IB2A2185 (2)

Look at that! It looks like a bird from somewhere exotic, like Africa or......somewhere...... 😲

Social source share

These Red listed endangered birds look stunning when the sunlight catches there iridescent plumage, which hopefully i,ve captured enough to do the birds justice

Red listed? They're ridiculously common over here in the Netherlands. I see huge flocks of them every time I take a bus to the nearest train station (10 minutes away), and they've always been populous in all the time I've lived here.

Similarly, house sparrows are very common, unlike in the UK. That perhaps points to something being very wrong with the natural environment in "good ol' Blighty"!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Andy. The Cynfal waterfalls are they the falls a few miles inland from the Shell island / Harlech area  ? 

Nice pictures again mate as always.  Happy New year to you too 

Steve, no mate, Llan Ffestiniog. The walk started from the lane our cottage was on so just a quick look without doing the full round. A fascinating place with a deep gorge surrounded by an ancient rain forest.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

9 minutes ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

Red listed? They're ridiculously common over here in the Netherlands. I see huge flocks of them every time I take a bus to the nearest train station (10 minutes away), and they've always been populous in all the time I've lived here.

Similarly, house sparrows are very common, unlike in the UK. That perhaps points to something being very wrong with the natural environment in "good ol' Blighty"!

I've seen plenty this year as well. In fact, we saw quite a few this morning and afternoon in Wales.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

44 minutes ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

Russell.  I see plenty around certain areas of the North West but according to the RSPB website they,re a red listed bird. formally a farmland bird but with the change to intensive farming  practices they have all but disappeared from those areas. major problems with the UK natural environment agree big time my friend 

Social source share

45 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

according to the RSPB website they,re a red listed bird. formally a farmland bird but with the change to intensive farming  practices they have all but disappeared from those areas. major problems with the UK natural environment agree big time my friend 

Any idea what categorises a species as "red listed"? Sounds a bit over dramatic to me at this point. Just because there might be less of them in a region due to changes in agricultural practices doesn't mean they're seriously endangered as a species does it? Or is the "red listing" purely a parochial "English landscape" thing for the sake of media attention?

That wonderful - and ahead of its time - film, Tawny Pipit, somehow comes to mind...

Social source share

27 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Russell.  A screen shot from the RSPB website and it's definition of red list

Thanks for that. From what I've read, it seems the UK is suffering the biggest decline of lapwings. Europe's population overall is in decline, and the most recent data I could find states:

The European population is estimated at 1,590,000-2,580,000 pairs, which equates to 3,190,000-5,170,000 mature individuals (BirdLife International 2015).

...the European population is decreasing by 30-49% in 27 years (three generations) (BirdLife International 2015).

Source: https://datazone.birdlife.org/species/factsheet/northern-lapwing-vanellus-vanellus/text

• Up vote 1
Social source share

18 hours ago, Soulandy said:

Just had a few days in Llan Ffestiniog seeing in the new year. A walk around Cwm Cwmorthin Quarry, Cynfal waterfalls and Cwm Idwall all in pretty good conditions 

2 from each area 

Happy new year to you all and look forward to more great photos 👍

soul 20200101_140720

soul 20200101_152422

soul 20200102_150835

soul 20200102_151703

soul 20200103_112342

soul 20200103_115604

Just seen a strange image from Snowfon Andy . Occurring when someone standing in mist as Sun Rises . Some form of Mirage apparently.  

• Up vote 1
Social source share

19 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Soulfulmerlin.  Here's the copied and pasted reply from Pembrokeshire Bird Group regarding the Swift 

Thanks for the thoughts on the swift Steve. Just shows you can never be sure what's going to turn up. From the sightings, all by very experienced birders and photos it's looking like a Common swift. Probably pushed north on the strong southerlies the UKs been experiencing. Hope you enjoy reading the blog. I'm originally from the north-west though been in Pembs for 40 years. Eastern stonechat on my old stomping grounds Neumanns Flash. We'd never heard of such a thing back then.

best wishes and good birding for 2020

Brian

I've been out today around Pennington flash showing the swift pictures to birders who 100% to a man said common swift,  these guys are the reference books on birding for me

Steve 

Amazing sightseeing  . Am having a short midweek break at Strathyre from Monday . Hopefully get a few snaps . Maybe Nessi lol 

Social source share

On 02/01/2020 at 17:48, Winsford Soul said:

Is it  really less than 100 mile South Coast to Pembrokeshire  . Would have thought four times that . 

Social source share

On 02/01/2020 at 17:48, Winsford Soul said:

Ah silly Dave . My geography way out . Thinking it was Scotland lol . Ye  given location Westerly or South Westerly.  Still way out in time frame . Could be Scorching Summer ahead 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

9 minutes ago, Soulfulmerlin said:

Ah silly Dave . My geography way out . Thinking it was Scotland lol . Ye  given location Westerly or South Westerly.  Still way out in time frame . Could be Scorching Summer ahead 

🤣 thought that there was some confusion 🤣. Hope it's a scorching hot summer and a single swift doesn't make a summer 🤣. I know it should be a swallow but I couldn't resist 

Steve 

Social source share