Show us your great photos (2020)

Amsterdam Russ

8 hours ago, Soulstrutter said:

I'll try that line on the Mrs ... and see if I get anywhere 🤣

Yes, do. In fact, go one further and buy her some nice woofer holders for Valentine's Day! 👍🏼🤗

Social source share

13 minutes ago, Tattoodave said:

Curiously lacking in thorns, I'd like a close up of the leaves as I think you might have stumbled on something strange.

I agree! It's way too early for hawthorn? We don't usually see it until April.....x

Social source share

1 hour ago, Tattoodave said:

Curiously lacking in thorns, I'd like a close up of the leaves as I think you might have stumbled on something strange.

Dave.  I only used the mobile phone for the picture.  So this is all I have mate .  I will try and get back there soon , never even looked at the tree , just assumed it was a hawthorn.

Had the big white slung over my shoulder.

Social source share

25 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Dave.  I only used the mobile phone for the picture.  So this is all I have mate .  I will try and get back there soon , never even looked at the tree , just assumed it was a hawthorn.

Admittedly the leaf shape does look similar to Crataegus monogyna, even if it isn't, it is still an earlier than normal sign of spring.

Edited by Tattoodave
stupidity
Social source share

The actual branches look very Hawthorny but the leaves .....I mean it could be....but I watch for hawthorn every year and have since I was an egg (just hatched), and late March is the earliest I've seen it.....but.....who knows? It's been an incredibly mild winter. X

12 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

You had a shark slung over your shoulder?  😲

Social source share

14 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

From today at Pennington Flash. There was 29 snipe huddled together . Whats the collective name for a flock of snipe ?

soul IB2A2358 (2)

A snaggle.....of snipers....

Social source share

54 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Won't keep you in suspenders anymore.  It's a Walk or Wisp of Snipe.  Think I prefer the Wisp of Snipe.  Got a nice sound to it. 

I do too. A wisp of snipe. What's the collective name for soulies?  A ............ of soulies.  The big white is a bit like the space shuttle.....

Social source share

My father used to use all sorts of words that baffled me, he'd call a thrush a throstle, which I thought was something to do with the woollen industry, and he always called them "a walk of snipe", I'm with you, I prefer "wisp" or "whisp".  Apparently they are good eating, though the source of that wasn't my father, he barely ate meat apart from pork pies and haslet.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

4 minutes ago, Flamingemeralds said:

I do too. A wisp of snipe. What's the collective name for soulies?  A ............ of soulies.  The big white is a bit like the space shuttle.....

I think a cuddle of soulies is nice but thats as long as it's women cuddling me. 🤗

I've actually watched the space shuttle through it and forgot to press the button to take a photograph.  🤔🤣. It was quick though.  

Social source share

2 minutes ago, Tattoodave said:

My father used to use all sorts of words that baffled me, he'd call a thrush a throstle, which I thought was something to do with the woollen industry, and he always called them "a walk of snipe", I'm with you, I prefer "wisp" or "whisp".  Apparently they are good eating, though the source of that wasn't my father, he barely ate meat apart from pork pies and haslet.

One of the original game birds Dave so I'm led to believe.  You would have to be bloody quick though 

Social source share

1 minute ago, Winsford Soul said:

One of the original game birds Dave so I'm led to believe.  You would have to be bloody quick though 

I used to go bush beating as a teenager to supplement my habits and have only ever seen one shot.  I'm sure there's a dead one in a famous painting, though by whom I have no idea as I'm a little gin fogged at the moment

• Up vote 1
Social source share

41 minutes ago, Flamingemeralds said:

Two options... A Shuffle of Soulies...   And an Embarrassment of Divs

• Up vote 1
Social source share

41 minutes ago, Veedub said:

I had a walk around my local patch today. aahh, almost like Spring 😀. Here's a few pics I took. All I have is a Canon compact digital that cost a couple of hundred quid, but you can still get some nice pictures if you get out and about and have a go .

soul a

soul b

soul c

soul d

soul e

soul f

Very nice pictures.  Especially against that gorgeous blue sky

• Up vote 1
Social source share

59 minutes ago, Veedub said:

Cheers Ste ! Been out of work for a couple of months and birdwatching keeps me sane.lol ,  its good for the soul. 

It certainly is good for the soul mate.  Too late for my sanity though.  I would have struggled at 16 never mind 61. Your in a nice part of the country for a bit of birding 

Social source share

18 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

It certainly is good for the soul mate.  Too late for my sanity though.  I would have struggled at 16 never mind 61. Your in a nice part of the country for a bit of birding 

Same here mate. Decades of gear, teetering on the edge, trying to make sense of it all 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

That's quite a selection of birds? Is that a very chubby thrush?? With all his feathers fluffed up? What are the others? Lovely pics though and that sky!!! It's actually bluer than blue!?

Social source share

7 minutes ago, Flamingemeralds said:

That's quite a selection of birds? Is that a very chubby thrush?? With all his feathers fluffed up? What are the others? Lovely pics though and that sky!!! It's actually bluer than blue!?

Top to bottom.  Song Thrush.  Stone chat. ( female) . Buzzard. And I think a meadow pipit . I hope I'm right.  😁

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

3 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Top to bottom.  Song Thrush.  Stone chat. ( female) . Buzzard. And I think a meadow pipit . I hope I'm right.  😁

I thought so too, but now I cant decide if if its a Song thrush or a Mistle thrush ?? Round splodges rather than V markes ? 

Social source share

10 minutes ago, Veedub said:

I thought so too, but now I cant decide if if its a Song thrush or a Mistle thrush ?? Round splodges rather than V markes ? 

That little stone chat is cute!  You wonder who thinks up these names? "Stone chat".  Must talk to pebbles? Or be on a Rolling Stones forum? 

Social source share

3 minutes ago, Flamingemeralds said:

That little stone chat is cute!  You wonder who thinks up these names? "Stone chat".  Must talk to pebbles? Or be on a Rolling Stones forum? 

Mrs of the multi talents .  There call sounds like when you tap two stones/ pebbles together.  😁. Or they get stoned and chat 🤣

Edited by Winsford Soul
Social source share