Show us your great photos (2020)

Amsterdam Russ

15 minutes ago, Veedub said:

Yes if you tap two stones together they go mental lol ! (  but you shouldnt do that !) 

The thrush wasnt singing, it looked quite large ?

Mistle Thrush are about 1/2 the size again of song thrush and blackbirds.  Can't really mistake them in the wild but you can on photographs 😁

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Mistle Thrush are about 1/2 the size again of song thrush and blackbirds.  Can't really mistake them in the wild but you can on photographs 😁

I'm going to say that it's a Song Thrush . Its a lot more chestnut / cream coloured on its breast as opposed to the greyish chest of the Mistle Thrush . 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Soulfulmerlin said:

Am just wondering as to whether anyone got a picture of this mornings setting Moon .

Was truly amazing . Bright orange . Unfortunately on way to Preston Royal , the Road was to narrow and twisty to safely pull over and capture .

Almost looked Blood coloured . 

No .in work unfortunately.  Will hopefully get to see the full moon tonight or early morning when I'm out and about with the camera.  

PS. The full moon isn't until Sunday 9th Feb and it's call the Snow moon and with the atrocious weather forecast its looking like a no show snow moon. 

Edited by Winsford Soul
Social source share

46 minutes ago, Flamingemeralds said:

Why is it called the Snow moon, when it's made of cheese? 🤔🤨 Some things in life make no sense to me at all?   

February's full  moon is called the Snow moon because traditionally February  has the deepest snow . Its also called the hunger moon because it's the month of the least availability of natural food . 

Cheese moon not sure what month that happens🤔. But I do know it's monthly in your world because your crackers 🤣🤗

Chinese doesn't make sense to me nor any other languages I don't speak 🤣

Edited by Winsford Soul
Social source share

8 minutes ago, Veedub said:

Lovely pictures Ste , where are you birding today ? 

I just went round my local fields again and saw the male Stonechat , I saw the female  the other day.

Also a  few Skylarks singing whilst descending  and a flock of Fieldfares cackling 😀

Mike.

soul Male Stonechat 8.2.20

Thanks mate. I was at Pennington flash. Leigh. In between Warrington and Wigan  at 7am today for the moon setting but in my rushing forgot the manfrotto tripod with the gimbal head.  So really  struggled with shutter speeds apart from the Oyster Catcher picture . I m over your part of the world tonight my friend at Willington in the west end,  Coalville.  

Definitely special when you hear Skylark sing. Spring is just around the corner. Not seen a Fieldfare by me this winter,  plenty of Redwings  though.  This storm could very well bring something special when it makes land tonight and tomorrow . Hopefully 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 07/02/2020 at 21:14, Winsford Soul said:

February's full  moon is called the Snow moon because traditionally February  has the deepest snow . Its also called the hunger moon because it's the month of the least availability of natural food . 

Cheese moon not sure what month that happens🤔. But I do know it's monthly in your world because your crackers 🤣🤗

Chinese doesn't make sense to me nor any other languages I don't speak 🤣

😲

Social source share

18 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

It was better light than recent times mate, but like you bird's where thin on the ground at Pennington,  but I was only there for about 2 hours so didn't have a good look around..Nice pictures again mate as always 

We are convinced it's down to the lack of cold weather, I have seen Oystercatchers mating, and the Pigeons have been at it on our garden fence 😲

• Up vote 1
Social source share

21 minutes ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

Another photo competition - this time the "people's choice award" winners of the Wildlife Photographer of the Year. Only a small handful of winning pics released to the public as yet, but the outright favourite really is both remarkable and really rather magical...

_110862357_samrowley.jpg

Photo source: BBC News. Full story here: https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-51465064

Definitely a Sunday morning photo, I've seen tons of mice on the underground after the 100 Club closes

• Up vote 2
Social source share

2 minutes ago, Tattoodave said:

Definitely a Sunday morning photo, I've seen tons of mice on the underground after the 100 Club closes

I know exactly what you mean!

More a case of "down in the tube station at midnight" according to the story:

He spent late nights at a central London tube stop, down on his belly trying to get the perfect low-angle view. "I usually take a burst of photos and I got lucky with this shot, but then I had spent five days lying on a platform..." Sam said.

Social source share

On 12/02/2020 at 10:01, Amsterdam Russ said:

I know exactly what you mean!

More a case of "down in the tube station at midnight" according to the story:

If he'd spent five days lying on the platform it might easily have been a Sunday morning, midnight the tube seems to be far more busy than the one other evident passenger, unless he'd persuaded all the other late night people to stand behind him, which somehow seems unreal, as I'd have told him to f off.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Tattoodave said:

If he'd spent five days lying on the platform it might easily have been a Sunday morning, midnight the tube seems to be far more busy than the one other evident passenger, unless he'd persuaded all the other late night people to stand behind him, which somehow seems unreal, as I'd have told him to f off.

Without checking back on the details of the story, I recall reading that the photographer was there with people around - and some thought he was drunk, passed out, or worse. One person, apparently, rushed over to give him CPR!

Given the five nights, I presume he was there for umpteen hours at a time - a good part of which was likely after the station had shut (and with the full support of London Transport or whatever they might be called nowadays). Regardless, an unforgettable photo!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

As a follow up to my recent post regarding what I thought was a hawthorn tree in leaf. Here's a better picture for Dave hopefully to identify the tree

soul 20200208_122538

It's Crataegus crusgalli, the Cockspur Hawthorn, a thornless cultivar as the species is heavily armed.

Edited by Tattoodave
stupidity
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

10 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Thanks Dave. Much appreciated mate.  I,m chuffed that it was actually a member of the Hawthorn family as the leaves where so similar, well they where to someone like me.

It not a tree you bump into on a daily basis, and the leaves are pretty much identical to our native hawthorn.  I'm amazed that it's in leaf already, hopefully spring will spring forth soon as I return to England on Tuesday.  There aren't many trees that have leaves like a hawthorn, so well spotted.

Social source share

10 minutes ago, Tattoodave said:

It not a tree you bump into on a daily basis, and the leaves are pretty much identical to our native hawthorn.  I'm amazed that it's in leaf already, hopefully spring will spring forth soon as I return to England on Tuesday.  There aren't many trees that have leaves like a hawthorn, so well spotted.

Dave.  At Pennington Flash there are literally dozens of these tree,s coming into leaf all over the site and it always seems to be February / early March.

Just seen the first Daffodils of the year in flower on Rochdale road on the way into Manchester this morning

Have a safe journey and enjoy the 100 club

• Up vote 1
Social source share

22 minutes ago, Tattoodave said:

Oddly enough, I saw the same thing on the park on my way to work.  I'll try to remember to get a photo.  Fantastic to have been able to identify it!  So, it IS earlier than usual after all.  It's in for a shock this weekend when Dennis gives it a good lashing. 😰

Social source share

32 minutes ago, Flamingemeralds said:

Oddly enough, I saw the same thing on the park on my way to work.  I'll try to remember to get a photo.  Fantastic to have been able to identify it!  So, it IS earlier than usual after all.  It's in for a shock this weekend when Dennis gives it a good lashing. 😰

Louise.  This is a reminder to get the picture 🤣🤣🤣

It may well be a kinky tree and will like a good lashing off Denis or anybody else🤔😎🤣

Social source share

19 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Louise.  This is a reminder to get the picture 🤣🤣🤣

It may well be a kinky tree and will like a good lashing off Denis or anybody else🤔😎🤣

You're too early! You need to sent it at 08:10am tomorrow morning. 🙄. In fact, I'll set myself a reminder dingdong 👍🏼

Social source share

3 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Storm Denis. This is or was a road i know well at Newgale beach in Pembrokeshire 

soul 20200216_180115

What happened? Did the sea dump all those pebbles in the storm?  😲

Social source share

8 minutes ago, Flamingemeralds said:

What happened? Did the sea dump all those pebbles in the storm?  😲

Yes. There's a shingle / pebble bank between the beach and the road and storm Denis has dumped  100,s of tons onto the road and probably onto the shop / cafe and pub car park so as they will be totally cut off as that's the only road.  The power of the natural world.  

Social source share

On 08/02/2020 at 11:05, Winsford Soul said:

Moon setting through the trees this morning. Unfortunately slightly blurred picture because i didn't have my tripod to help stabilise the camera and the big daft 500mm lens so it was hand held, which is really not suitable for slow shutter speeds on big lens due to camera shake 

Nice pic . Though was blood red when seen prior to post 

soul IB2A2399 (2)

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Thanks for that. Much appreciated.  I've recently  been told that the moon loses its definition of the craters and the edges do look blurry when it's setting below the horizon , something to do with light and pollution on the horizon so I'm a bit happier with the picture now. Don't know how true that is. Martyn will have the answer though.  

Edited by Winsford Soul
Social source share