Show us your great photos (2020)

Amsterdam Russ

On 16/02/2020 at 21:47, Winsford Soul said:

Thanks for that. Much appreciated.  I've recently  been told that the moon loses its definition of the craters and the edges do look blurry when it's setting below the horizon , something to do with light and pollution on the horizon so I'm a bit happier with the picture now. Don't know how true that is. Martyn will have the answer though.  

When you look straight up at the night sky you are looking through the atmosphere at its narrowest thickness, when you look at the horizon at an angle through the atmosphere you are looking through it's thickest part and more likely to distort images, air temperature and movement can have an added effect on image quality as well, described as good or bad seeing by astronomers.

Next week on ask Martyn ... how to knit fog

• Up vote 1
Social source share

5 minutes ago, Martyn Pitt said:

When you look straight up at the night sky you are looking through the atmosphere at its narrowest thickness, when you look at the horizon at an angle through the atmosphere you are looking through it's thickest part and more likely to distort images, air temperature and movement can have an added effect on image quality as well, described as good or bad seeing by astronomers.

Next week on ask Martyn ... how to knit fog

🤣🤣🤣. Love you Martyn . Can't wait for next week's episode 😋. Do you need special needles 🤔

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Soulfulmerlin said:

Yes . No idea how to stop the troll .

Want shot 

Not really the place to be dealing with site business, but...

Click on your name in the top right. A list of menu items will show, including "Ignored Users". Click on that and you'll come to the page as shown in my screenshot. Type in the name of the user and follow the instructions. Sorted. 

soul A post

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

Not really the place to be dealing with site business, but...

Click on your name in the top right. A list of menu items will show, including "Ignored Users". Click on that and you'll come to the page as shown in my screenshot. Type in the name of the user and follow the instructions. Sorted. 

soul A post

Thanks

Social source share

17 minutes ago, Veedub said:

Just been and taken these pictures 5 minutes from my house in Burton . A lone Waxwing eating the berries on a housing estate. 😃  wow !. Got the heads up yesterday from local birder. Very grey and gloomy to take pics.

soul 2

soul 6

soul 3

soul 7

Brilliant pictures mate. Love Waxwings , not seen any this year / winter. 

Social source share

1 hour ago, Veedub said:

Yes, they seem to return to the same trees some years and in the most unlikely places like supermarket carparks ! 

They love the berries on Rowan / Mountain Ash trees, which were used a great deal in landscaping schemes for shopping centres and supermarket car parks. My neighbour has a Rowan tree in his garden, my record is 33 Waxwing on my roof, unfortunately I have not seen any this year, we needed a colder winter to push the birds south.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Another photo competition to check out, and this one's definitely well worth looking at. It's the Underwater Photographer of the Year and all of the winning entries are stunning. Can't say I ever get shots like these with my underwater GoPro!

_111033279_101greglecoeur.jpg

Photo courtesy of BBC News website. Link to story & winning pics here:

https://www.bbc.com/news/in-pictures-51633570

• Up vote 2
Social source share

I was looking at them on Tuesday evening.  Some amazing photographs.  Thanks for sharing them. What they don't tell though Russell is that the underwater housings cost more than the cameras. My camera body was £1700 and the housing which by the way is lens specific came out at approximately £2000 . There where cheaper options available but would you risk it ? 

Social source share

24 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

I was looking at them on Tuesday evening.  Some amazing photographs.  Thanks for sharing them. What they don't tell though Russell is that the underwater housings cost more than the cameras. My camera body was £1700 and the housing which by the way is lens specific came out at approximately £2000 . There where cheaper options available but would you risk it ? 

Top-end photography requires top-end equipment, I guess, and if I had the money to buy such stuff – as well as the means to be in some of these locations (for more that the usual two-week summer vacation) – I'd jump at it.

I also guess that most if not all of the winning photographers are professionals. Investing in the tools of the trade clearly pays off, which is why, with my bottom-of-the-market Nikon D3200, an entry level GoPro, and an iPhone 5, I've no chance of giving up my day job! 🤣

• Up vote 1
Social source share

8 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Who for Gaz . You or the dog ? Trust you and the lovely Debs are well and safe mate 

We're good Ste, Yourself?.

Was my lunch, but Ted (our dog) decided he wanted it as well..  

Social source share

On 01/03/2020 at 21:24, Zed1 said:

Hmmmmmmm..... Lunch

76697384_541334736686992_6722703916615598080_n.thumb.jpg.c7c6cb07032274a8dfb0b37d68328003.jpg

That's a cute little dawg. What I want to know is, what on earth were you having for lunch? Only...it looks like a fossilised Big Mac? 🤔😳

Social source share

4 minutes ago, Soulfulmerlin said:

Anyone spotted a Curlew yet . Heard them arrive few nights ago 

Three over Pennington flash calling yesterday and then a fourth one landed but way to far away to get a picture even with the big white.  

Heard a few last week on the Dee estuary 

Social source share

8 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Just had a message saying that the first  Sand Martin sighting of the year for Pennington flash today at 10.30am.

Spring is definitely here . 

3 Sand martins round here in Staffs today too ! 10am this morn. Branston gravel pits and Blithfield resevoir 😀

Edited by Veedub
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

18 minutes ago, Veedub said:

Fabulous pictures Ste as always !  Keep 'em coming, this is what we need , brightened my day no end seeing your post 😀 

Thanks Mike.  Much appreciated mate 😁. Hopefully will be posting some decent Barn and Short eared owl pictures after tomorrow morning.  

Social source share

19 minutes ago, Veedub said:

Cool Ste, Ive yet to see a Barn owl .

Heres a pic I posted 2 years ago,. I was lucky enough to spot 5 Chiffchaffs on a twig. 😀 Ive never shown the short video so thought I'd share this too . 

soul Chiffchaffs on a twig (2)

Brilliant,  simply brilliant.  That what I went out for today but unfortunately  not here in Manchester yet, anytime soon though. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

As promised which with wildlife is very unusual . Here,s a few Barn owl pictures taken in awful light this morning and all heavily cropped

Bloody hell !! just fantastic !! They must have been waiting for you, heard you were coming ! 😁

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Veedub said:

Bloody hell !! just fantastic !! They must have been waiting for you, heard you were coming ! 😁

Thanks mate.  I was about 2 miles away,  talking to a local lady dog walker ( actually across the river Alt ) she see,s them every morning.  As we went our separate ways, me towards where she had mentioned I saw one , then two , three, Managed to get over to where the owls where before they disappeared and take a few pictures and as i was going back to the car the shortie put in a brief appearance. Then hearing the Chiffchaff was a bonus 

Social source share

9 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Thanks mate.  I was about 2 miles away,  talking to a local lady dog walker ( actually across the river Alt ) she see,s them every morning.  As we went our separate ways, me towards where she had mentioned I saw one , then two , three, Managed to get over to where the owls where before they disappeared and take a few pictures and as i was going back to the car the shortie put in a brief appearance. Then hearing the Chiffchaff was a bonus 

This is what it's all about mate, a solitary hobby, so rewarding , just focused on the moment when you spot a bird and nothing else matters. You must have been bursting with excitement when you got those pics ! 😀 

That 3rd picture,  of the Short Eared Owl , the composition is just stunning ! 

Edited by Veedub
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

14 minutes ago, Veedub said:

This is what it's all about mate, a solitary hobby, so rewarding , just focused on the moment when you spot a bird and nothing else matters. You must have been bursting with excitement when you got those pics ! 😀 

That 3rd picture,  of the Short Eared Owl , the composition is just stunning ! 

My lungs where nearly bursting trying to cover the two miles over the very wet rough ground and get within range of the owls but still a respectful distance so as not to disturb them in their search for food.  .

I just cropped the pictures so as people could see them properly but it did help the composition and thank you 

Social source share

1 minute ago, Winsford Soul said:

My lungs where nearly bursting trying to cover the two miles over the very wet rough ground and get within range of the owls but still a respectful distance so as not to disturb them in their search for food.  .

I just cropped the pictures so as people could see them properly but it did help the composition and thank you 

Thanks Ste, made mine and Sarahs day . 

• Up vote 1
Social source share