Show us your great photos (2020)

Amsterdam Russ

Cheers Ste 😃, yes, definatley have some water features as theres lots of tiers . Its a huge garden as we live on a corner , itll be a mass of colour soon  and one large area not on the pics we have turned into a wild garden and planted wild flower seeds 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Veedub said:

The Hedgehog is back !!! 😀 

The hog  came to our garden last year a few times and then stopped coming  in November when they hibernate. Ive kept putting food and water out right through the winter as they come out of hibernation a few times to get food and water but he never came again till last night . So glad he survived 😀

soul IMG_6134

Brilliant picture and news mate.  Never see then near me anymore 

Social source share

Great garden spot Ste !!  we're thinking Chiffchaff. Darkish  legs and bill, Willow Warblers are paler. Short primary feathers, Willow warblers have  longer primary feathers. . But as you know, always hard to say . could be male, female, young, adult in which case the markings all vary ?? 

Social source share

16 minutes ago, Veedub said:

Great garden spot Ste !!  we're thinking Chiffchaff. Darkish  legs and bill, Willow Warblers are paler. Short primary feathers, Willow warblers have  longer primary feathers. . But as you know, always hard to say . could be male, female, young, adult in which case the markings all vary ?? 

Thanks Mike.  Just got a txt off a twitching friend  that i sent the pictures to for id and he  reckons that it's a Willow Warbler , 1st he has heard of this year in the north west.  But as you say so hard to identify,  there's been chiffchaffs around here for a good few days now calling away,  that's what swayed me to a Willow Warbler . But thank  you for the compliment 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Could be right Ste, very difficult to distinguish if theyre not calling . Theres a few Chiffchaffs around now, so if its a Willow Warbler, thats a great early spot mate ! 🙂👍 I love the Willow Warblers descending call .

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 minutes ago, Veedub said:

Could be right Ste, very difficult to distinguish if theyre not calling . Theres a few Chiffchaffs around now, so if its a Willow Warbler, thats a great early spot mate ! 🙂👍 I love the Willow Warblers descending call .

Me too mate, as you say the call is very nice. sometimes its the only way to tell them apart

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Just had a mega bird drifting over the house.  Red Kite getting mobbed by two crows,  run for the camera but it had gone behind the neighbours houses and out of sight. Gutted no picture but so pleased to see it, even Lou was jumping up and down saying it's a kite.  She only ever sees them in Wales 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

amazing you saw one there !  my last job, i was a delivery driver , and used to do a drop in Huntingdon, cambridgeshire. From rushden . Saw several every time, in a 30 mile patch, beautiful bird !! , then you drive out the area and never ever see one !  

Edited by Veedub
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

21 minutes ago, Veedub said:

amazing you saw one there !  my last job, i was a delivery driver , and used to do a drop in Huntingdon, cambridgeshire. From rushden . Saw several every time, in a 30 mile patch, beautiful bird !! , then you drive out the area and never ever see one !  

Mike. It's funny how they have populated areas and not others,  think greater Manchester never had a release site like most areas of the country did hence the scarcity.  Where my dad is buried in the Shropshire village of Bishops Castle you can sit in his partner Val,s garden and watch them daily ,the same as mid Wales,  they're everywhere,  seen them on the beach near Aberystwyth 

Edited by Winsford Soul
Social source share

I saw around 10 recently at the services on the M6 toll road services around Birmingham.  They weren't buying anything, they were just....flying around, like you do when you're a bird.  😁

Social source share

1 hour ago, Winsford Soul said:

Just had a mega bird drifting over the house.  Red Kite getting mobbed by two crows,  run for the camera but it had gone behind the neighbours houses and out of sight. Gutted no picture but so pleased to see it, even Lou was jumping up and down saying it's a kite.  She only ever sees them in Wales 

Great spot. like most folk, it's Wales i see them most but I spotted them in Yorkshire and most recently near Chester. Maybe with less traffic, air and road, they and others will be on the march👍  I did see 5 buzzards circling altogether over the fields in this part of South Manchester yesterday

Social source share

31 minutes ago, Flamingemeralds said:

I saw around 10 recently at the services on the M6 toll road services around Birmingham.  They weren't buying anything, they were just....flying around, like you do when you're a bird.  😁

Hello Mrs.  I hope you wasn,t multi tasking, Counting and driving. Sorry could not resist,🤣 that,s me due a beating 🤔

Social source share

5 minutes ago, Soulandy said:

Great spot. like most folk, it's Wales i see them most but I spotted them in Yorkshire and most recently near Chester. Maybe with less traffic, air and road, they and others will be on the march👍  I did see 5 buzzards circling altogether over the fields in this part of South Manchester yesterday

Thanks Andy. As you say this cleaner air maybe moving them around. Here,s hoping

Near Chester  . Helsby / Frodsham area by any chance ?

Social source share

1 hour ago, Winsford Soul said:

Thanks Andy. As you say this cleaner air maybe moving them around. Here,s hoping

Near Chester  . Helsby / Frodsham area by any chance ?

We were on the train, 3 weeks last Friday just before they started locking down, when I spotted it out of the window past delamere. To say I was surprised, I had a few strange looks 😁👍

Social source share

11 minutes ago, Soulandy said:

We were on the train, 3 weeks last Friday just before they started locking down, when I spotted it out of the window past delamere. To say I was surprised, I had a few strange looks 😁👍

Ha Ha.  Yeah   delemere is just at the back of frodsham,  so that's good to hear that they're still in the area.  

• Up vote 1
Social source share

11 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Hello Mrs.  I hope you wasn,t multi tasking, Counting and driving. Sorry could not resist,🤣 that,s me due a beating 🤔

Actually,. It wasn't those services....it was the ones near Heathrow airport on the M25.  D'oh.  Those darn services all look the same.  I was waiting in the car park for a flight to land.  Cheaper than  waiting on site in the airport car park...and then these ginormous birds started gliding around above my head.  Red Kites! 

Social source share

3 hours ago, Flamingemeralds said:

Actually,. It wasn't those services....it was the ones near Heathrow airport on the M25.  D'oh.  Those darn services all look the same.  I was waiting in the car park for a flight to land.  Cheaper than  waiting on site in the airport car park...and then these ginormous birds started gliding around above my head.  Red Kites! 

How do women manage to get anywhere ? 😎. M6. M25 bit of a difference 🤔100 miles ish 😋 . X

Social source share