Show us your great photos (2020)

Amsterdam Russ

5 minutes ago, Veedub said:

Brilliant pic Ste !!

Thanks Mike.  Can't believe what I'm getting in the garden,  Getting a pair of Goldcrest but no pictures yet. Considering that I only live a few miles away from Manchester city centre,  and on a busy little road, even now and it's a end of terrace house.  

Social source share

1 minute ago, Veedub said:

I'm lucky enough to live right next to a quiet country lane that leads into a track. Most mornings, we go for a 45 minute walk as our excercise and I snap what i see without hanging around as that doesn't seem right given the current situation . 

Yesterday there was a Dunnock and a Chiffchaff  and skylarks singing ,and theres some lovely old trees at the end of the lane too. 

Locally, today in Staffordshire.people are reporting sightings of Swallows, Housemartins, and Willow Warblers ! 

soul 3

soul 1

soul 2

soul 4

Great pictures mate. There was a Swallow reported a few miles away from me yesterday on the Manchester birding forum, but ive not seen any yet. Great to hear that Willow Warblers are not just in my garden 😂. I would be down that lane   late evening  / early morning to see what is out and about 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

9 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

How do women manage to get anywhere ? 😎. M6. M25 bit of a difference 🤔100 miles ish 😋 . X

There isn't a difference actually Mister Winsford. They're both roads with white lines and cars on them and you can drive at 70mph.  Nerrrr 😉

Social source share

differance

5 minutes ago, Flamingemeralds said:

There isn't a difference actually Mister Winsford. They're both roads with white lines and cars on them and you can drive at 70mph.  Nerrrr 😉

There,s a difference of 19 if my maths are correct Mrs 😋 I hope you didn't drive at 70mph where they,re turning them into smart motorways it,s a 50mph limit. Will you be needing a chauffeur any time soon 

Social source share

Found a complete, unhatched, intact blackbird egg on the lawn.  I think it's a Blackbird egg? How did it get there I wonder?  I don't suppose the chick will be viable now...😔😭  

soul IMG_20200408_132015134

Edited by Guest
Terrible grammar!
Social source share

1 hour ago, Flamingemeralds said:

No pictures but bird related! Found a complete unhatched intact blackbird egg on the lawn.  How did it get there? And, I don't suppose the chick will be viable now...😔😭  It is a blackbird egg is it? 

soul IMG_20200408_132015134

Yes Louise. It is a Blackbird egg . They sometimes abort a egg if they,re stressed or disturbed on the nest as they,re about to lay.

PS. Your lawn doesn't look very healthy.

Edited by Winsford Soul
Social source share

17 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Collared dove. I was lay down for this photograph so as to be on eye level with this beautiful delicate bird

soul IB2A3369 (4)

Exquisite (I love that word). 👍🏼

Social source share

1 hour ago, Winsford Soul said:

Yes Louise. It is a Blackbird egg . They sometimes abort a egg if they,re stressed or disturbed on the nest as they,re about to lay.

I moved it from the lawn.  I brought it inside and put it on my Aldi carpet.  😉.  It's compost! 😂

Social source share

What should I do with it? I can't sit on it. It must have come out of the conifers. There's a fence along the back and the neighborhood cats skulk along it. I bet it's put the jeepers up Brian and Brenda Blackbird so....  Ive looked for a nest but I can't see one.  I'll have to "go in" tonight, dressed appropriately for fighting with a hedge to see if I can see one. 🤪

Social source share

29 minutes ago, Flamingemeralds said:

What should I do with it? I can't sit on it. It must have come out of the conifers. There's a fence along the back and the neighborhood cats skulk along it. I bet it's put the jeepers up Brian and Brenda Blackbird so....  Ive looked for a nest but I can't see one.  I'll have to "go in" tonight, dressed appropriately for fighting with a hedge to see if I can see one. 🤪

I can't wait to see what you class as appropriate clothing for your nocturnal covert operation. 🤔😁

I don't think it would survive you sitting on it. Your a big bird compared to Mrs blackbird. Your 5 ' 7 1/2" You could always donate it, to whom I've no idea. . . X

45 minutes ago, Flamingemeralds said:

I moved it from the lawn.  I brought it inside and put it on my Aldi carpet.  😉.  It's compost! 😂

Only you. 😂

Social source share

50 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

I can't wait to see what you class as appropriate clothing for your nocturnal covert operation. 🤔😁

I don't think it would survive you sitting on it. Your a big bird compared to Mrs blackbird. Your 5 ' 7 1/2" You could always donate it, to whom I've no idea. . . X

Only you. 😂

I was thinking about planting it in the hope of growing a tree with four and twenty blackbirds on it so I could make a pie. 🤔

Social source share

40 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

That looks brilliant Russell

It's gorgeous isn't it.  I wish we could have an exhibition of all these amazing photos.  🤗

Social source share

38 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

RAF  C-17 Globemaster . 51 .7 4m wingspan payload. 45,360KG with a range of 8334 km at 35,000ft

Decided to fly over the house today

IB2A3371.thumb.JPG.395c7893a2694199387feb5bf0bec34e.JPG

Id love one. Is it petrol or diesel? 🤔

Social source share

RAF  C-17 Globemaster . 51 .7 4m wingspan payload. 45,360KG with a range of 8334 km at 35,000ft

Decided to fly over the house today

IB2A3371.thumb.JPG.395c7893a2694199387feb5bf0bec34e.JPG

Flew over our house 3 times today and didn't manage a photo. Apparently it was practising landing and take off as it's very quiet at the moment at the airport. It's also been on training exercise at Southend and Luton these past few days according to Google 👍

• Up vote 1
Social source share

11 minutes ago, Soulandy said:

Flew over our house 3 times today and didn't manage a photo. Apparently it was practising landing and take off as it's very quiet at the moment at the airport. It's also been on training exercise at Southend and Luton these past few days according to Google 👍

When I first saw the plane it was banking to the right and you could see both wings properly,  by the time I had gotten the camera it was almost past me. So this is all I managed.  Big plane , built to carry Chinnock helicopters amongst other things.  

• Up vote 1
Social source share

11 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Aviation fuel,  Electric hybrid. 

Where would you park it ? 

On the drive probably.  It wouldn't fit in the garage unless I take the Christmas decorations out. And I don't want to do that because the attic is a dangerous place to access on wobbly ladders without a helmet and ropes. Can you park planes on slopes though! Is there a handbrake? 

Social source share

2 hours ago, Flamingemeralds said:

On the drive probably.  It wouldn't fit in the garage unless I take the Christmas decorations out. And I don't want to do that because the attic is a dangerous place to access on wobbly ladders without a helmet and ropes. Can you park planes on slopes though! Is there a handbrake? 

Have you still not fixed  the wobbly ladder yet or are the British mountaineering council still using it for crevice  training. Unfortunately it doesn't come with a handbrake, not much use in the sky. They do have h,air brakes though but that counts me out because as you know I don't have h,air to make any brakes , my drive is flat though.  

Social source share

On 11/04/2020 at 14:45, Veedub said:

Beautiful pics Ste ! . Im amazed you get pics of a Long Tailed Tit as they dont tend to stop still for more than 2 seconds !😀

Thanks Mike as ever. Fast shutter speeds generally . This particular one was set at 1/1600 of a second, which is probably my go to setting at f4 . ISO 500

Was most happy with the Greenfinch picture , there where  four this morning but very flighty and wouldn't settle , scarce birds around here

Edited by Winsford Soul
Social source share

On 11/04/2020 at 22:41, Veedub said:

Blimey !! Sat night , Bury allniter , and 2 hedgehogs now !!! 😁

soul IMG_6465 (2)

Great to see Hedgehogs , seem the only ones I see are dead on the roads .

Also a victim of people including myself putting up fences and ripping out the hedges deny them a free run through gardens .

I have been in Wilko today and saw for the first time Hedgehog food amongst the wild bird food , what next frog feed !

Social source share