Show us your great photos (2020)

Amsterdam Russ

3 minutes ago, Widnes63 said:

Thanks Dave, I knew that you wouldn't let us down, I hope that it is going well for you over there.

Ste.

I'm in Lincolnshire Ste, left Spain in February just before the lockdown, going stir crazy but as long as there's alcohol in the house I can enjoy seeing double and talking to myself.  Missing the 100 club though.

Dave

Social source share

3 minutes ago, Tattoodave said:

I'm in Lincolnshire Ste, left Spain in February just before the lockdown, going stir crazy but as long as there's alcohol in the house I can enjoy seeing double and talking to myself.  Missing the 100 club though.

Dave

Oh right, well I hope everything is ok in Lincolnshire then:thumbup:

Lets hope we can get back to the 100 club soon, until then take care.

Ste.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

45 minutes ago, Tattoodave said:

That's right, I will have, they are Spanish bluebell hybrids, a real menace as they breed with the native ones and they reproduce faster, nice enough in a garden if you have to have them, but should be banished to the Iberian peninsula.  Unlike me!!

Dave. I thought you where  banished to the Iberian peninsula. Trust all is well and safe mate 

Social source share

42 minutes ago, Soulandy said:

Ah ok. These ones are next to MUFC training complex so i thought that might be a connection 😁. This is my small patch of garden on the front drive with the white ones

soul 20200424_184709

Andy. Got good friends who live in inglenook close, off Isherwood road, which house's United training ground Carrington as you will well know mate 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

7 minutes ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

Three spoonbills overhead this evening. By the time they were close enough for me to identify, it was too late to take a quick pic. Damn!

Russell.  They're gorgeous birds.  A few years ago i managed to get a  picture of the first breeding birds in the uk at RSPB Burton mere.  Will dig out my picture,  didn't manage to get the picture of the chick unfortunately. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

56 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Andy. Got good friends who live in inglenook close, off Isherwood road, which house's United training ground Carrington as you will well know mate 

Yes mate. The ground is 2 miles from our house so a good walk/bike ride all round Carrington moss and very quiet. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 24/04/2020 at 19:39, Winsford Soul said:

Dave. I thought you where  banished to the Iberian peninsula. Trust all is well and safe mate 

All's well here, incredibly quiet, yet only heard the cuckoo this morning.  I've been thrown out of a few countries, never banished to one, I'll have to try that.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

24 minutes ago, Veedub said:

We cleared a corner of our garden last year and seeded it with wild flower seeds. Its starting to come to life now, looking forward to see how it develops. Loads of butterflies and bees attracted by it already . It was so easy to do, just a £15 bag of seed, and its easy maintenance  now. Any weeds get choked out and all that needs doing is to cut it all back once a year.

The seed pack was 20 odd wild flower species , and as there's hundreds of buds at the moment , i'm excited to see what it'll be like in a few weeks !  Here's a few pics from today as it's starting to flower.

soul 01

soul 1

soul 02

soul 3

That's looking fantastic my friend 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

26 minutes ago, Flamingemeralds said:

Went for a wander down some local footpaths and stumbled across this amazing site! Garlic so wild it's hysterical!IMG_20200426_185701402.thumb.jpg.0f76ed857216e723f046abe439085b97.jpg

God I miss the smell of wild garlic when its in a glade like that.  There is no place near me . I'm so jealous I bet the smell was ohh so good. . For me personally that is as pretty as a bluebell woodland.  

Social source share

I walked along the canal on Saturday too. And the same thing. I got so close I thought the heron was maybe a plastic garden ornament.  It did fly off, but very casually. Never been that close to a heron, despite spending years on my boat sailing up and down, and up and down, and up and down....and up and down.....and....up.....and then..... down.....and then....yes, up.....again.......😂.  A man was also approaching from the other direction and as we stood there trying to work out how to social distance without someone swimming, we both were quite staggered at how brave the heron was. Must have had at least four Weetabix that morning. 💪🏼👍🏼 

Social source share

3 hours ago, Flamingemeralds said:

I walked along the canal on Saturday too. And the same thing. I got so close I thought the heron was maybe a plastic garden ornament.  It did fly off, but very casually. Never been that close to a heron, despite spending years on my boat sailing up and down, and up and down, and up and down....and up and down.....and....up.....and then..... down.....and then....yes, up.....again.......😂.  A man was also approaching from the other direction and as we stood there trying to work out how to social distance without someone swimming, we both were quite staggered at how brave the heron was. Must have had at least four Weetabix that morning. 💪🏼👍🏼 

Mrs .Wellie boats. Was you sailing your boat on a waterfall 🤣. Up and down. 🤣

Social source share

Before social distance was invented. I saw a man stop dead in his tracks just as a stoat coming from the opposite direction stopped in its tracks,  they both stepped aside  at the same time for the other to pass and the stoat eventually running between the blokes legs then disappeared into the undergrowth.  A once in a lifetime encounter to be that close but sadly no camera . 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

22 hours ago, Mustang said:

Hi folks,

Walking earlier for my hour exercise,the route takes me along a canal for a substantial part of

the way,very rural,lovely and peaceful.

During the walk i passed FIVE who were fishing,one was this beautiful Heron who allowed me to

get really close for the photo's,felt humbled as Heron's normally fly away.

The other four were three males earlier in the walk with fishing rods over the canal and a single

male near to the Heron, again with his fishing rod over the canal.At various places along the canal

there were warning notices displayed,which say that during Covid-19 lockdown measures all fishing

on the canal is BANNED,what is wrong with people,why don't they get it?,unbelievable really.

Hope you like the photo's of the Heron,such a beautiful bird.

Stay safe,Ron.  :thumbsup::hatsoff2:

soul Heron 1

soul Heron 2

soul Heron 3

soul Heron 4

same this afternoon  watched one on the canal near me    nice and slow to the edge then bang  nice fish for tea

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 27/04/2020 at 14:54, Winsford Soul said:

Male Orange tip Butterfly on Cuckoo flower 

soul IB2A4169 (2)

Fantastic photo 👍Orange Tips seem to be the in butterfly this spring along with the Brimstone, especially on the Carrington Moss area where there seems to be hundreds of them. All the other suspects but these two have really taken off this spring. Not seen as many for donkeys years.

Edited by Soulandy
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

While out in the woods the other day i came across what i thought was a badger set untill i saw the remains of a couple of legs from some animal so I'm guessing it might be a fox den but unsure. The blue bells are a bit on the flat side so i guess the area is well used.  Anyone any ideas imageproxy.php?img=&key=e748d1d82b514a54

20200426_143547.jpg

20200426_143903.jpg

20200426_143632.jpg

Edited by Soulandy
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

6 minutes ago, Soulandy said:

Fantastic photo 👍Orange Tips seem to be the in butterfly this spring along with the Brimstone, especially on the Carrington Moss area where there seems to be hundreds of them. All the other suspects but these two have really taken off this spring. Not seen as nany for donkeys years.

Thanks Andy. Really appreciate your kind words mate. Don't think that i have ever seen as many either, must be this warm dry April that has caused it, I don't remember seeing a Holly blue in my garden before, not sure . Not that I'm complaining.  Back to normal weather today

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 minutes ago, Soulandy said:

While out in the woods the other day i came across what i thought was a badger set untill i saw the remains of a couple of legs from some animal so I'm guessing it might be a fox den but unsure. The blue bells are a bit on the flat side so i guess the area is well used.  Anyone any ideas imageproxy.php?img=&key=e748d1d82b514a54

20200426_143547.jpg

20200426_143903.jpg

20200426_143632.jpg

Andy. Foxes quite often take over old badger setts , save,s them having to dig it. Best way to tell is get down and sniff the entrance to the den. If it's in use it will definitely smell very musty . Unmistakable smell

• Up vote 1
Social source share

4 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Andy. Foxes quite often take over old badger setts , save,s them having to dig it. Best way to tell is get down and sniff the entrance to the den. If it's in use it will definitely smell very musty . Unmistakable smell

Yes mate, couldn't smell anything and apart from the two remains, no visable evidence apart from piles of soil and flattened vegetation. 

Social source share

24 minutes ago, Soulandy said:

Fantastic photo 👍Orange Tips seem to be the in butterfly this spring along with the Brimstone, especially on the Carrington Moss area where there seems to be hundreds of them. All the other suspects but these two have really taken off this spring. Not seen as nany for donkeys years.

You did well to get one to pose for the photo, we have loads around here but i`ve yet to see one actually land. I look a right tit running around chasing them through the woods to get one to stop for a few seconds so I can pap them.

Social source share

23 minutes ago, Steve Lane said:

You did well to get one to pose for the photo, we have loads around here but i`ve yet to see one actually land. I look a right tit running around chasing them through the woods to get one to stop for a few seconds so I can pap them.

Steve.  I use a 500mm f4 lens which allows the butterflies to settle down without me disturbing them as I'm generally at least 20ft away from them. I know that 99.9% of people won't have such a  lens but smaller less expensive ones would be able to get similar results 

Social source share