Show us your great photos (2020)

Amsterdam Russ

25 minutes ago, Veedub said:

Lovely photo Steve 🙂, really captured the beautiful markings of a bird we don't often see here 

Thanks Mike.  They're not as common as they used to be, I'm lucky enough to have them occasionally visit my garden, Generally in the winter so I was more than happy see it. 

Social source share

This is way cooler. 

To be able to see a full circle rainbow you need to be able to see water droplets below your observable horizon.

If you are on the ground you are very unlikely to be in the optimum position to see the rest of the rainbow - except for full circle rainbows that appear in, for example, the mist given off by a garden hose or sprinkler.

However, if you are standing on top of a tall building or looking out of an aircraft then you may have water droplets and sunlight below your observation point. As the video below shows, if conditions are exactly right, that gives you the opportunity to see the rainbow in its entirety.

Social source share

19 minutes ago, Philippe said:

Yesterday my cat and me had a visit : we were at the table near the window when this hoopoe arrived on the other side of the window, less than 1 m from us and stayed there 4 or 5 minutes walking along the window and watching us, or its reflect on the window. Sorry for the quality of the pictures, I'd have never seen a hooopoe so close and so long. And the cat didn't care !

100_0891.JPG

100_0892.JPG

Philippe. Trust you are well and safe my friend. That,s amazing.  I,ve never seen one , they do visit the UK occasionally. Definitely on my list of birds to see along with Bee eaters and Nightingale  

Social source share

22 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Philippe. Trust you are well and safe my friend. That,s amazing.  I,ve never seen one , they do visit the UK occasionally. Definitely on my list of birds to see along with Bee eaters and Nightingale  

Only seen a Hoopoe twice - first time was somewhere around the Beachy Head area in the very late 70s or very early 80s. The second time was on the Greek island of Lesvos a few years ago.

Never seen a nightingale, but have heard them. I recorded one once, in the Amsterdam woods at about four in the morning on the final leg of my journey home by bicycle after a soul night in Amsterdam. 

Social source share

1 hour ago, Steve Lane said:

Snap......spotted this Norwegian Blue on our bird feeder.

Honest!

norwegian blue.jpg

Snap. This cuddly toy puffin was on the front at Prestatyn . Honest. This picture was actually sent to me as a wind up many years ago when mobile phones had basic cameras and screens so it was near impossible to tell it wasnt a real bird . only the location stopped me from believing it and making a fool out of myself ( again )

P1000316 (1).JPG

Edited by Winsford Soul
Social source share

12 minutes ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

Only seen a Hoopoe twice - first time was somewhere around the Beachy Head area in the very late 70s or very early 80s. The second time was on the Greek island of Lesvos a few years ago.

Never seen a nightingale, but have heard them. I recorded one once, in the Amsterdam woods at about four in the morning on the final leg of my journey home by bicycle after a soul night in Amsterdam. 

I,m very envious Russell. 

Social source share

2 hours ago, Philippe said:

Yesterday my cat and me had a visit : we were at the table near the window when this hoopoe arrived on the other side of the window, less than 1 m from us and stayed there 4 or 5 minutes walking along the window and watching us, or its reflect on the window. Sorry for the quality of the pictures, I'd have never seen a hooopoe so close and so long. And the cat didn't care !

100_0891.JPG

100_0892.JPG

That is truly amazing !!!!  WOW !!  Saw one once ..  of all places it was near Birmingham 4 years ago. One appeared in an old overgrown quarry and stayed for a few weeks, Bird watchers came from all over the UK to see it .. To have one looking in your back window is beyond your wildest dreams !!!! 

Social source share

15 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

A female Woodpecker playing hide and seek with me in the garden this morning on my way home from the virtual nighter

IB2A4235 (2).JPG

IB2A4227 (2).JPG

IB2A4233 (2).JPG

Fantastic colours and lighting on your pics Steve !

• Up vote 1
Social source share

9 hours ago, Twoshoes said:

Last night was one of those times I wished I knew more about the getting the correct camera settings quickly, my cameras not the best but I have got better with it, looked out of the front window last night as the sun was setting around the back and the windmills had turned a shade of pink as they do under the right conditions when this red rainbow appeared briefly, never seen anything like it before in the 40yrs I've lived in this house, it's not the best picture, one thing I've learnt over the years is some things only last moments then they're gone, by the time I got the camera out and went outside the light had faded and the sunset rainbow had all but faded in the gloom.

red rainbow.jpg

Stunning. Simply stunning. Thanks for sharing

Steve

• Thanks 1
Social source share

15 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Stunning. Simply stunning. Thanks for sharing

Thank you Steve, coming from you that's quite a compliment, I'm slowly moving away from the auto settings and getting to grips with the manual features but not being of a technical nature  I find it hard to remember even the basics but I'm getting there.

Social source share

It really does, doesn't it. It was so quiet. Nobody around, no traffic.  I don't know what it is but nature seems resplendent this year, don't you think? It's possibly the sunshine, but everywhere you look, you see something breathtaking? Maybe we're just noticing things more, now that we have more time to "smell the roses"? I really loved your last few photos, especially the reed warbler; it's a brilliant picture.  I used to be a reed warbler when I was learning the clarinet! 🙄 

Social source share

Just had a very exciting few minutes here in North Manchester. Armed robbery pursuit. Stolen car crashes into unmarked police car outside the house, armed robber jumps over my 6ft garden gate with armed police officer in pursuit whom crashes through the gate and disappeared over my back garden fence snapping a tree in the garden. In minutes more armed bobbies, helicopter and cars everywhere. Then CID and SOCO two offenders taken in to custody. Waiting on repairs to the back gate. Hopefully a new one

WP_20200507_16_42_19_Pro.jpg

WP_20200507_17_58_21_Pro.jpg

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

Actually, Steve, it's my fault. I sent someone round to pinch your photo collection. Sorry about the fence. I did tell them not to kill anyone or damage any property. In fact I did tell them to go disguised as Avon ladies.  I shan't be using Amazon Amateur Bad Boys again, that's for sure. I hope you are both ok. Don't tell the cops will you. Don't want to be int nick for wasting police time. 🤗

Social source share

1 hour ago, Veedub said:

Bloody hell Steve !!  thats a bit traumatic !!  hope you're alright mate  . time to down a few beers methinks ? 

All good thanks Mike. We heard the crash and Lou went out  to see what had happened when the robber with bobbie in pursuit ran across  my drive about a metre from where Lou was stood. She said that close she could have touched them 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Flamingemeralds said:

Actually, Steve, it's my fault. I sent someone round to pinch your photo collection. Sorry about the fence. I did tell them not to kill anyone or damage any property. In fact I did tell them to go disguised as Avon ladies.  I shan't be using Amazon Amateur Bad Boys again, that's for sure. I hope you are both ok. Don't tell the cops will you. Don't want to be int nick for wasting police time. 🤗

Avon ladies ( with beards ) thought it was a bit dodgy. They did smell nice though. We good thanks Louise.

Bobby came back and said sorry. He couldnt jump the gate  with his body armour and handgun weighing him down so he had to smash through it. 

If you want my photo,s Mrs your more than welcome , X

Social source share