Show us your great photos (2020)

Amsterdam Russ

22 hours ago, Soulandy said:

OK not a photo but kingfishers are a bit quick. A short video of the kingfisher I found a few days ago. I saw but didn't get any photo's of them coming and going so this will have to do for now. I have slowed it down and cut the file size down but it's still fast so don't blink 😉

kingfisher3.wmv

Brilliant Andy. Cheers for sharing mate

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Not a great photo (or even a good one I was stretching & it's out of focus) so apologies if I'm stepping out of line. About 5 years ago I had been out on an early morning trip to photograph the sunrise & was walking back along a beach in Corfu when I noticed what turned out to be a piece of wood as in the photo & I just wondered if anybody can identify what it is. The grooves that you see don't appear to go through to the other side which looks the same as this side. However what I thought was a solid center could well be compacted sand/earth. It is very light & feels quite brittle so I haven't investigated further. Somebody who has seen the photo suggests it could be a leaf ??? I do apologise that this isn't about the photo but I know that there are some knowledgeable people on here who may be able to identify this, if you want me to delete this I will totally understand.

Many Thanks

Dave

DSC_5764a.jpg

• Up vote 1
Social source share

22 hours ago, Shsdave said:

Not a great photo (or even a good one I was stretching & it's out of focus) so apologies if I'm stepping out of line. About 5 years ago I had been out on an early morning trip to photograph the sunrise & was walking back along a beach in Corfu when I noticed what turned out to be a piece of wood as in the photo & I just wondered if anybody can identify what it is. The grooves that you see don't appear to go through to the other side which looks the same as this side. However what I thought was a solid center could well be compacted sand/earth. It is very light & feels quite brittle so I haven't investigated further. Somebody who has seen the photo suggests it could be a leaf ??? I do apologise that this isn't about the photo but I know that there are some knowledgeable people on here who may be able to identify this, if you want me to delete this I will totally understand.

Many Thanks

Dave

DSC_5764a.jpg

Looks to me like a part of a Palm Tree or Palm Plant that has been in the

sea water for some time ,"washed" and worn by the salty water which would

have a cleaning effect over time.

The bottom part of the piece shows stranded sections which you see as the

fibrous part of the stem/trunk.

I have attached an image of a palm which shows the fibrous sections.

Palm 1.jpg

Edited by Mustang
Social source share

1 hour ago, Tattoodave said:

It's definitely a palm frond, this will give you some idea, though it isn't the right species

Washingtonia_filifera_frond.thumb.jpg.ca2aa170ccf1f9467a2ac76574e4c8f8.jpg

Ah right I can see that now, so what I found isn't wood but hardened palm ? Thanks all for your replies 👍

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 10/05/2020 at 23:44, Soulandy said:

OK not a photo but kingfishers are a bit quick. A short video of the kingfisher I found a few days ago. I saw but didn't get any photo's of them coming and going so this will have to do for now. I have slowed it down and cut the file size down but it's still fast so don't blink 😉

kingfisher3.wmv

Don't know if its me but I've just been stopping and starting the video and it looks like the kingfisher is coming out backwards the turning itself round. Amazing if thats right.

Social source share

3 hours ago, Soulandy said:

Don't know if its me but I've just been stopping and starting the video and it looks like the kingfisher is coming out backwards the turning itself round. Amazing if thats right.

It is coming out backwards then sort of  flipping over . Andy I,ve only ever seen Sand Martins coming out of there nest burrows so i don,t know mate

• Up vote 1
Social source share

You don't know who Wilson is? I thought everyone knew who Wilson is?

Wilson is a football, who starred in a film with Tom Hanks called Castaway.  Wilson didn't get an Oscar, but he should have.  Everyone should have a Wilson in their lives. So that's Wilson, at Blackpool tower, with his wife, who's a bit of an old palm, but he loves her all the same.

Mister Steve, I think it's fair to say, I've been in lockdown for toooooo long. 😔

🤗

Social source share

2 minutes ago, Soulandy said:

Steve, its the Tom Hanks film, Castaway, where he make his imaginary friend, Wilson, out of a discarded ball and palm tree/coconut hair. 👍

Well, I'm aghast! Wilson is a volleyball! I never knew that. I thought he was a football! 😲

Social source share

1 minute ago, Soulandy said:

The duck family are growing up and a nice sunset on tonights river walk

20200512_203019.jpg

20200512_203447.jpg

20200512_205124.jpg

Flying saucer alert! 😧

Social source share

On 12/05/2020 at 22:17, Flamingemeralds said:

You don't know who Wilson is? I thought everyone knew who Wilson is?

Wilson is a football, who starred in a film with Tom Hanks called Castaway.  Wilson didn't get an Oscar, but he should have.  Everyone should have a Wilson in their lives. So that's Wilson, at Blackpool tower, with his wife, who's a bit of an old palm, but he loves her all the same.

Mister Steve, I think it's fair to say, I've been in lockdown for toooooo long. 😔

🤗

Mrs. Your actually working from home, surely that cant be classed as lockdown. I don't really watch films, not been to the cinema since probably the late 70,s , don't watch much tv either unless it's wildlife, natural history type programs. I have watched night at the museum On the tv a couple of years ago . Seen a harry potter film. Like blues brothers, quadraphenia. Not even watched soul boy or stuff like that even though I have them all on DVD. Infact i have never even watched a box set or anything

Edited by Winsford Soul
Social source share

11 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

The cherub in the picture is 38 years old. When the factory where i served my apprenticeship was shut down by thatcher in 1982 the workforce was offered skills courses and one of the fitters mates went on it, learning to cast garden ornaments and my Uncle Ken who i worked with bought the very first one   and when he passed away many years ago my Auntie Agnes put it in the garage. when she herself became infirm , i was helping her sort out the garage  and on seeing it she said did i want it knowing my connection to Neil the fitters mate and my uncle Ken. So its obviously pride of place in my garden and today when the sun shone on it, i couldn,t resist the picture.

Thanks for taking the time to read the story

Back garden cherub.jpg

That's lovely Steve, thanks for sharing mate.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

51 minutes ago, Veedub said:

Just walked up to the pond and was lucky enough to get a snap of the Reed Warbler.🙂

They're a very elusive tiny bird and skulk about low down in reed beds , usually heard but not seen. I just about managed to manually focus on him inside the reed bed.

IMG_8987 (2).JPG

Fabulous picture 📷. Mike. As you say so bloody hard to get a good picture. I've a very similar one, manual focus hand held 500 mm .

Social source share

Thank you Steve 😃. Yes its like trying to photograph a a tiny mouse from a distance  you can hear the bird, and you can see the odd reed flicking about, then if you're very lucky the bird might just appear in an opening for a few seconds !  Then again,as you know,  if it was easy it wouldn't be so rewarding when you do get a good snap 😀

• Up vote 1
Social source share

4 hours ago, Veedub said:

Just walked up to the pond and was lucky enough to get a snap of the Reed Warbler.🙂

They're a very elusive tiny bird and skulk about low down in reed beds , usually heard but not seen. I just about managed to manually focus on him inside the reed bed.

IMG_8987 (2).JPG

For comparison Mike. So similar mate

IB2A9301 (2).JPG

Social source share

That's uncanny Steve  !! 😃 .  Your pic is so sharp ! mines about the best I'll get with a compact digital  but Im real pleased with it .Reed Warblers are  so difficult to snap, you just get a focus on them and in a second they've pinged off out of sight   

Social source share

3 minutes ago, Veedub said:

That's uncanny Steve  !! 😃 .  Your pic is so sharp ! mines about the best I'll get with a compact digital  but Im real pleased with it .Reed Warblers are  so difficult to snap, you just get a focus on them and in a second they've pinged off out of sight   

I know , they,re so similar. Mike i actually think this is one of the best i have ever taken considering its hand held, manual focus with that rather large 500 mm lens . Thanks for the compliment.  I think its as sharp as i could get it plus i dont use PS or any software editing . We are lucky enough to get the pictures we did mate. they as you say are quite elusive

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Here's a thing. Whilst we were snapping the Reed Warbler, we could hear a Cuckoo very close, we heard it whilst walking down the lane. Sarah spotted the Cuckoo in her binoculars by the pool and it flew off right by the pool where the reed Warbler was singing !  Fingers crossed the little warbler isn't a victim , but then again, thats nature ..

• Up vote 1
Social source share

59 minutes ago, Soulandy said:

Andy. Thanks for sharing this. Unfortunately until the landowners themselves are prosecuted it will continue. . And that will never happen because the people who shoot are the judges and law makers and the royal's. There's been one gamekeeper in Scotland had about 15 criminal convictions he,s still a gamekeeper. Jail sentence no. . The system is a joke

• Up vote 1
Social source share

58 minutes ago, Stephen Houghton said:

Went walking in the roaches near buxton

Can you see the face 

IMG-20200517-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20200517-WA0001.jpg

Britain's answer to Mount Rushmore! 👍🏼

Social source share