Show us your great photos (2020)

Amsterdam Russ

On 09/05/2020 at 08:56, Widnes63 said:

Nice photos Alison !!!

I hope that all is well with you and yours :thumbup:

Ste.

Hi Ste

All is good here thanks.

I'm currently working from home which I didn't think I would like (because you know what a chatterbox I am) but I'm actually loving it and it's obviously keeping me and my 82 yr old Dad safe so I'm happy doing it for as long as it takes.

Hope everyone at your end is doing well and not killing each other if you're all locked down together.

Gosh knows when we'll see each other again but I look forward to the day when we do ,so I can chew your ears off once again :-) 

Take care & bye for now

Ali

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 09/05/2020 at 12:44, Mustang said:

Great photos,Robins love the suet pellets with mealworm mixed in,

they really like a 50/50 mix of plain and berry suet pellets,good point

around the small bird access when feeding,to help with this i have a

tray feeder on the bottom of the peanut feeder,i put a mix of all kinds

in for all the birds,they all love it and all look really healthy.

The robins watch and a particular buddy/mate comes really close and

waits till i drop some suet pellets on the floor and picks them up excitedly.

Yeah we have a few tray feeders too and they (we have a chubby and a thinner robin visit us) go on there, but this little sucker is quite ambitious as he does keep trying to get on the hanging feeders.  He has managed to get on one of them, cling on & snatch some feed.    Cheers for the heads up re: your feed

Your Robins sounds delightful especially the cheeky one 🙂 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 09/05/2020 at 13:57, Winsford Soul said:

Thats lovely Ali. Good to see you on this dark and dodgy thread. Ooops sorry thats just me. Hope your keeping safe and well love. XXX

Ey up dark and dodgy Steve.

All is great here thanks, trust you & Lou are well too.

Hope it's not too long before I see you both again

Ali x

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 14/05/2020 at 22:00, Winsford Soul said:

The cherub in the picture is 38 years old. When the factory where i served my apprenticeship was shut down by thatcher in 1982 the workforce was offered skills courses and one of the fitters mates went on it, learning to cast garden ornaments and my Uncle Ken who i worked with bought the very first one   and when he passed away many years ago my Auntie Agnes put it in the garage. when she herself became infirm , i was helping her sort out the garage  and on seeing it she said did i want it knowing my connection to Neil the fitters mate and my uncle Ken. So its obviously pride of place in my garden and today when the sun shone on it, i couldn,t resist the picture.

Thanks for taking the time to read the story

Back garden cherub.jpg

I've run out of likes for today but I really like that and it's a lovely story Steve 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

4 hours ago, Derek Pearson said:

Ever wondered why we Brits have a reputation for being a cruel nation?

Derek

003.thumb.jpg.a6fe95811b78a44b2244453b9640c1ca.jpg

Maybe they had cataracts? 👍🏼

Social source share

Is it usual to see oystercatchers by canals? Saw two today, only because of their squeaking call. I've never seen one before.  I had to Google black and white birds with orange beaks.  Shortly after that, a cow fell in the canal (no Mr Winsford, before you say anything, it wasn't me!).  🙄

Social source share

3 minutes ago, Flamingemeralds said:

Is it usual to see oystercatchers by canals? Saw two today, only because of their squeaking call. I've never seen one before.  I had to Google black and white birds with orange beaks.  Shortly after that, a cow fell in the canal (no Mr Winsford, before you say anything, it wasn't me!).  🙄

Yes, oystercatchers are very common birds that you can see just about anywhere - on beaches, grasslands, motorway hard shoulders, etc, etc.

As for the poor cow - drunk on too much milk, perhaps? 🤪😂

Did it get back out again?

Social source share

20 minutes ago, Flamingemeralds said:

Moi.  As if. 🤣🤣🤣. X

On 26/05/2020 at 17:40, Alison H said:

I've run out of likes for today but I really like that and it's a lovely story Steve 

Thanks Ali.  X

Social source share

On 26/05/2020 at 17:29, Alison H said:

Ey up dark and dodgy Steve.

All is great here thanks, trust you & Lou are well too.

Hope it's not too long before I see you both again

Ali x

🙋‍♂️ Hello Ali. Glad to hear that your ok.  All good here thank you very much.  Been far to long.  X

• Up vote 1
Social source share

32 minutes ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

Yes, oystercatchers are very common birds that you can see just about anywhere - on beaches, grasslands, motorway hard shoulders, etc, etc.

As for the poor cow - drunk on too much milk, perhaps? 🤪😂

Did it get back out again?

It did. I hung around shouting "Go on Daisy! You can do it!". Poor thing was up to its haunches and couldn't get purchase on the bank with its hooves. Some of the herd came over and I swear they looked like they were laughing, but there was one that was a bit upset and stayed close by. She tried and tried but she was so big and cumbersome. . She lunged about then had a rest, then tried again. I honestly didn't think she'd do it.  She must have sunk in a bit underfoot as well.  So I tried to ring the RSPCA but it was an Ansaphone, so I just kept shouting, like you do at football matches. She kept trying, her mate stayed close by and then all of a sudden, she hauled herself out.  She stood there for about five minutes looking dazed and embarrassed and then calmly started eating grass as though nothing had happened.  There's never a dull moment in the countryside!  🤗. As for oystercatchers, I've honestly never seen one before, so that was a first for me.  Along with the drowning cow. 🤗

Social source share

Oh and then, whilst I was adventuring in a wood, I came across this......The Day of the Triffids meets The Daleks..... Look at its feet! I think they must be what it grabs you with and squeezes the life out of you...IMG_20200527_145039676.thumb.jpg.a62b080d1533439abe8fa79e93268944.jpg

Social source share

2 minutes ago, Veedub said:

I was delivering to St George training ground once, the home of England football club, and I saw one in goal.

49866377983_fbb820f92e_o.jpg

That's amazing!?  What the devil was it doing there?  I honestly thought I'd seen something rare and exotic and it turns out they go to the footie.  They don't 'arf make a weird call though. Sounds like a slipping fan belt.   Thanks for sharing that! It's a great photo!👍🏼

Social source share

Well, I asked in the reception about it, and theres a pair, they turn up every year and nest on the roof of  the complex !!??  There's no lakes or pools there , its weird. I went there again, and saw the pair of them walking on the main pitch digging for worms, then they both flew up to the high roof where they nest ! 😃

How the chicks get down from there is beyond me ? theyre a wader, a water bird . But they come every year ! 

I went there a few times, and would have loved to have seen one of them on the goal post for a pic, but this was the best i got . 

Edited by Veedub
Social source share

33 minutes ago, Flamingemeralds said:

Oh and then, whilst I was adventuring in a wood, I came across this......The Day of the Triffids meets The Daleks..... Look at its feet! I think they must be what it grabs you with and squeezes the life out of you...IMG_20200527_145039676.thumb.jpg.a62b080d1533439abe8fa79e93268944.jpg

Great picture that is Louise 

Social source share

6 minutes ago, Veedub said:

Well, I asked in the reception about it, and theres a pair, they turn up every year and nest on the roof of  the complex !!??  There's no lakes or pools there , its weird. I went there again, and saw the pair of them walking on the main pitch digging for worms, then they both flew up to the high roof where they nest ! 😃

How the chicks get down from there is beyond me ? theyre a wader, a water bird . But they come every year ! 

I went there a few times, and would have loved to have seen one of them on the goal post for a pic, but this was the best i got . 

Maybe they just really like football?  More than oysters? 😂.  It might be a climate change thing?  Or maybe they're trying to improve their catching skills and that's why it's hanging around the goals. Looking for tips, for when they're trying to catch flying oysters?  Who knows, the world of nature never ceases to amaze. Saw loads of butterflies today, which was truly fabulous! And a very friendly sheep, that looked like an obese goat. It came right over to the fence so I gave it's back a right good scratch and it put it's nose in the air and closed it's eyes.  It's coat was like a scourer!  Oh and I fell over, in a bed of nettles. It's been a strange day? 🤔

Social source share

3 minutes ago, Flamingemeralds said:

Maybe they just really like football?  More than oysters? 😂.  It might be a climate change thing?  Or maybe they're trying to improve their catching skills and that's why it's hanging around the goals. Looking for tips, for when they're trying to catch flying oysters?  Who knows, the world of nature never ceases to amaze. Saw loads of butterflies today, which was truly fabulous! And a very friendly sheep, that looked like an obese goat. It came right over to the fence so I gave it's back a right good scratch and it put it's nose in the air and closed it's eyes.  It's coat was like a scourer!  Oh and I fell over, in a bed of nettles. It's been a strange day? 🤔

Was the sheep called Maaark  ? 😎. Fell over into a bed of nettles are they ok ? 🤗

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Just now, Veedub said:

Great pic Steve !! They're such a comical bird, Carrot as a beak, and run along going  Beep Beep Beep ! 

There's one at Pennington that used to follow people.  It fell off school roof as a chick and it was raised by a lovely lady who looked after it until it could fly. She then released it at the flash where it used to get fed by the people feeding the ducks and swans,  it now is a fully re wilded bird. 

Social source share

1 minute ago, Winsford Soul said:

Was the sheep called Maaark  ? 😎. Fell over into a bed of nettles are they ok ? 🤗

No, it was called Barrrrrbaaaaara.  The nettles were squashed flat.  It was by the river. I was too busy looking at the flora and fauna...not watching where I was going, legged up by a tree root. I've had a bath in Epsom Salts (that's not a village), but I'm all bruised and bashed up like a plum in a tumble drier. Nettle stings are so vicious.  Thistles just sort of prickle but nettles are just plain mean.  😠

Social source share

2 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

There's one at Pennington that used to follow people.  It fell off school roof as a chick and it was raised by a lovely lady who looked after it until it could fly. She then released it at the flash where it used to get fed by the people feeding the ducks and swans,  it now is a fully re wilded bird. 

Awww, that's very Snow White-esque! What a lovely story.  I still haven't been to that Flash place. 

Social source share

13 minutes ago, Flamingemeralds said:

No, it was called Barrrrrbaaaaara.  The nettles were squashed flat.  It was by the river. I was too busy looking at the flora and fauna...not watching where I was going, legged up by a tree root. I've had a bath in Epsom Salts (that's not a village), but I'm all bruised and bashed up like a plum in a tumble drier. Nettle stings are so vicious.  Thistles just sort of prickle but nettles are just plain mean.  😠

Was there any dock leaves about near the nettles  ? They really do work,  Can't remember what it is they have,  that counter acts the skins reaction to the hairs of the nettles.  

I've never seen a plum in a tumble dryer 

Social source share

3 hours ago, Flamingemeralds said:

and then all of a sudden, she hauled herself out.  She stood there for about five minutes looking dazed and embarrassed and then calmly started eating grass as though nothing had happened.  There's never a dull moment in the countryside!  🤗. 🤗

Great! So no crying over spilt milk!

Social source share

Following on from the Blackbird chick, we have the parents nesting in the Clematis right next to our back door and they have two new eggs. Here`s mum sat there all morning, never bothers about us or the dogs. Photo taken on zoom (Samsung) from the kitchen window. 

And the view from  the top of our local park this afternoon.

20200528_103136.jpg

20200528_141927.jpg

Social source share

Is that really the international space station? Good grief? That's amazing? I didn't know it was visible during the day? I thought you could only see it at night?  How do you know when it's flying over?  🤔👍🏼

Social source share

1 hour ago, Flamingemeralds said:

Is that really the international space station? Good grief? That's amazing? I didn't know it was visible during the day? I thought you could only see it at night?  How do you know when it's flying over?  🤔👍🏼

There's a website.  (No not one of those types) that tells you when and where.  ISS tracker or something like that Mrs.  

Social source share

2 hours ago, Flamingemeralds said:

That was about 10pm just before darkness came along👍

I have an app on my phone, ISS Live Now, and it tells you when it comes over. You can follow it all day if so desired. Its next due here around 4.30pm and then every 90 minutes or so so hopefully see it again later 👍

Edited by Soulandy
Social source share

2 hours ago, Flamingemeralds said:

Heres the website Louise ...  It was Soulandy who put me on to it a few months ago , cheers 👍

https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/sightings/view.cfm?country=United_Kingdom&region=England&city=Derby#.XtEV7TpKjhd

Change your location  but it doesnt vary much over UK.  I too watched it nearly ever night last week after sunset. Bright light moving across the sky  , brighter than  a star so perfectly visible with the naked eye. Travels at 17500mph , over 200miles up in low orbit.

The only thing is.. it has to be OVER 40 degrees to see it, so youve missed your chance for a while Louise , (it was 70 degrees last week, which is almost overhead. The next few nights it is too low for the sun below the horizon to light it up ( thats what makes it visible).

Nasa will update that website in a day or two so fingers crossed itll be over 40 degrees again soon . 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 28/05/2020 at 14:54, Winsford Soul said:

Apparently today is world otter day.  Here is my contribution. It's the only half decent picture that I have ever managed of a wild otter 

2020-05-28_02-52-41.jpg

You do make me laugh Ste.. You were close mate.. Actually the OTTEST day of the year so far..

I'll get me coat

• Up vote 2
Social source share