Show us your great photos (2020)

Amsterdam Russ

21 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Tonights Moon over Manchester

IB2A4601 (3).JPG

What a cracking photo Steve 👍

50 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

The Peony has finally flowered.  I'm always away in Tenby when it happens but obviously with the covid rubbish going on I can't be on holiday so here's a picture 

20200601_180757.jpg

Oh that’s so pretty. Love it 😍 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

4 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

The Peony has finally flowered.  I'm always away in Tenby when it happens but obviously with the covid rubbish going on I can't be on holiday so here's a picture 

20200601_180757.jpg

A beautiful flower Steve,the resolution and quality of your photo's are amazing,including

the previous moon image,you must have a seriously good camera and lenses mate. :thumbsup::hatsoff2:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 31/05/2020 at 22:02, Winsford Soul said:

Tonights Moon over Manchester

IB2A4601 (3).JPG

Fantastic photo. I've just been watching the ISS live image's on the app and that's amazing to see but I've just zoomed in on your photo and I'm sure the clangers are having a party, it's that clear 😁👍 great shot

• Up vote 2
Social source share

10 hours ago, Mustang said:

A beautiful flower Steve,the resolution and quality of your photo's are amazing,including

the previous moon image,you must have a seriously good camera and lenses mate. :thumbsup::hatsoff2:

Thanks mate. Really appreciate the kind words. I do have a half decent camera but I must admit that the 3 lens that I own are as good as you can buy. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

10 hours ago, Soulandy said:

Fantastic photo. I've just been watching the ISS live image's on the app and that's amazing to see but I've just zoomed in on your photo and I'm sure the clangers are having a party, it's that clear 😁👍 great shot

🤣Cheers mate. Clangers tea party love it🤣

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Arghhhh! Wasps' nest in shed !!!!! Golf ball size! No sign of any comings and goings! Should I knock it off? Any wasp experts out there? 

IMG_20200602_142311803.thumb.jpg.04cac029177cf6d7a1ec460031eb85c0.jpg

Social source share

57 minutes ago, Flamingemeralds said:

Arghhhh! Wasps' nest in shed !!!!! Golf ball size! No sign of any comings and goings! Should I knock it off? Any wasp experts out there? 

Looks like a wasp starter nest,the beginning of bigger nest,sometimes they

carry on with it and other times they will leave it.

I would get some wasp powder and give it a blast up the entrance,leave it

for a few days to kill any in there and then knock it off  for the bin.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Social source share

2 hours ago, Flamingemeralds said:

Louise.  Be careful love. First thing I would do is to get a fly and wasp spray.  Point it directly into the entrance hole for a few seconds then just leave it. Check back tomorrow and do the same. While it is only small that will probably sort it. X

Social source share

Ok, I think I'll go with the powder/spray technique!! Me no wanna get stung on me bonce! 🤕😥😭 Thanks chaps! I'll get some spray stuff in the morning.  👍🏼

Social source share

7 hours ago, Flamingemeralds said:

Fascinating read about wasps. They are good for the garden but a nuisance to us. https://www.countryfile.com/wildlife/insects-invertebrates/british-wasp-guide-how-to-identify-common-species-lifecycle-and-why-wasps-sting-in-autumn/

• Up vote 3
Social source share

1 hour ago, Winsford Soul said:

First fledgling of the year that i,ve seen in the garden and it,s a Greenfinch so i,m well chuffed. They seem to be making a bit of a comeback around here, which is fantastic news

IB2A4626 (2).JPG

Only robins, magpies, pigeons and blackbirds round my way

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 02/06/2020 at 17:52, Flamingemeralds said:

Ok, I think I'll go with the powder/spray technique!! Me no wanna get stung on me bonce! 🤕😥😭 Thanks chaps! I'll get some spray stuff in the morning.  👍🏼

Louise, I have had a couple of these starter nests in my shed, there may be only one wasp in it, if any.

The wasps make the nest out of wood pulp which they chew and spit out to create a miniature feat of engineering.

My technique to get rid of them was...open the door slightly, knock the nest off with a yard brush, drop brush and close the door, there may be one or two pissed off wasps but they soon calm down. 

Ste. :thumbsup:

• Up vote 2
Social source share

I bought some spray...this morning from Sainsbury's.....but it's like a nerve gas....and wasps are just....you know....they don't know about the anti socialness of nests in sheds, and we need to look after our insects....so it's had a stay of execution...I just can't bear to annihilate them, or it.   It'd make a lovely lampshade.  It's a beautiful little thing.  But.... it'll have to go....but I can't kill the wasps. 😔.   It might even be empty? I think I might open the window, stick my brush through, wallop the nest, drop it and leg it...as suggested. Or, I could just bulldoze the whole shed with a yellow JCB thing.  Whatever, Project Wasp Nest will be addressed tomorrow. This isn't really a Show Us Your Great Photos topic but there might be one of me tomorrow armed, and extremely dangerous with my best yard brush, bee Keeper helmet and veil...🤔

Social source share

8 minutes ago, Flamingemeralds said:

I bought some spray...this morning from Sainsbury's.....but it's like a nerve gas....and wasps are just....you know....they don't know about the anti socialness of nests in sheds, and we need to look after our insects....so it's had a stay of execution...I just can't bear to annihilate them, or it.   It'd make a lovely lampshade.  It's a beautiful little thing.  But.... it'll have to go....but I can't kill the wasps. 😔.   It might even be empty? I think I might open the window, stick my brush through, wallop the nest, drop it and leg it...as suggested. Or, I could just bulldoze the whole shed with a yellow JCB thing.  Whatever, Project Wasp Nest will be addressed tomorrow. This isn't really a Show Us Your Great Photos topic but there might be one of me tomorrow armed, and extremely dangerous with my best yard brush, bee Keeper helmet and veil...🤔

Mrs. I know you can multi task but please explain to just a simple male of the species ( me ) how you can take a picture with one hand holding your best yard brush in the other whilst wearing a storm trooper helmet from return of the jedi with a veil 

Social source share

The wasp nest is dealt with! I shoved it with the brush, it got stuck on the bristles, I shook it, nothing happened, shook it again, the nest fell off, no sign of a single wasp, so I bashed it....it was empty....no-one home.  Mission completed. All men (women) accounted for. 👍🏼 Thanks for all the advice. Bit of an anti climax but hey-ho! 😁

Social source share

26 minutes ago, Flamingemeralds said:

The wasp nest is dealt with! I shoved it with the brush, it got stuck on the bristles, I shook it, nothing happened, shook it again, the nest fell off, no sign of a single wasp, so I bashed it....it was empty....no-one home.  Mission completed. All men (women) accounted for. 👍🏼 Thanks for all the advice. Bit of an anti climax but hey-ho! 😁

Glad you didn't get stung into action Mrs

Social source share

I would imagine not Steve I think it is quite old made with sand , concrete and fine pebble mixture .

I got it off a work colleague who said I could have it for nowt , but I gave him a tenner ! . Absolute bargain , and we took it home in the work wagon. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

6 minutes ago, Shinehead said:

I would imagine not Steve I think it is quite old made with sand , concrete and fine pebble mixture .

I got it off a work colleague who said I could have it for nowt , but I gave him a tenner ! . Absolute bargain , and we took it home in the work wagon. 

Cheers mate.  Will have to see what's about.  

Social source share

40 minutes ago, Rob1159 said:

Hi, I wanted to say I have been enjoying your birds and other pictures for the past few years, and so finally I thought I would just add a few bird pictures myself. The following are from Hawaii, they are Red Crested Cardinal, Northern Cardin al, Java Sparrow, S affron Finch, Japanese white eye, and Chestnut Munia. Hope you enjoy seeing them.  If you would be interested in any of the flowers, trees, fish etc. from Hawaii let me know I can always post some. Thanks Rob  

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Rob.  Thanks for sharing your pictures. Keep them coming.  I'm guessing that the java Sparrow and the Japanese white eye are introduced species.  are they on the list of species that are being treated as vermin and damaging the natural flora and fauna. ? I could be totally wrong 

Steve 

Social source share

Thanks Rob.  That's a interesting story. Our ancestors have a lot to answer for regarding their introduction of so many different types of birds and animal's but they wanted the new countries that they had settled to remind them of home. But the didn't know what the ecological impact they would cause for the native animals.  

Its great to see wildlife from different parts of the world and the stories that go with it. I personally can't wait to see more pictures and stories from you.

Steve 

Social source share

On 04/06/2020 at 20:48, Rob1159 said:

Here are a few more from the island of Hawaii, Rainbow eucalyptus tree, they are just lovely to see mainly on Maui, and Kauai, a female cardinal, a few local flowers, again most introduced to Hawaii, even the fan palm was introduced, old Hawaiian church on Maui, red ginger plant, Red headed Cardinal, and to finish off a nice Maui sunset. Rob    

Fantastic  trees, birds and superb sunset  👍

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 04/06/2020 at 21:23, Rob1159 said:

Okay before I bore you all to death, a few more Rainbow Eucalyptus trees on Maui. Sad to say some of the lovely trees get a lot of name carvings into them which of course spoils the bark. Cheers Rob 

My goodness they’re incredible!! as are all your other photos. I love colour & your photos are just the tonic 👍

• Up vote 3
Social source share

On 04/06/2020 at 20:48, Rob1159 said:

Here are a few more from the island of Hawaii, Rainbow eucalyptus tree, they are just lovely to see mainly on Maui, and Kauai, a female cardinal, a few local flowers, again most introduced to Hawaii, even the fan palm was introduced, old Hawaiian church on Maui, red ginger plant, Red headed Cardinal, and to finish off a nice Maui sunset. Rob    

Hi Rob,

Absolutely fabulous photo's and images of Hawaiian nature and wildlife,all excellent

quality,please keep them coming,wonderful stuff.

My Family and myself have had many vists to the USA,we love the states and

a visit to the Hawaiian Islands is due in the next five years,i have been thinking

about it for some time now,but,the Corona Virus has put a short term stop on it

for now.

There is alot that i want to see in the islands,i have a strong interest in many

subjects which Hawaii offers,namely : volcanoes,nature,wildlife,surfing,WW2 History,

aviation,Hawaiian culture and the people,Hawaiian music,my Dad played the

Hawaiian guitar( he always wanted to go to Hawaii,sadly he never made it,i

will make the visit for him and my Mum).

If you check back to page 14, i posted photo,s of P51 Mustang Crazy Horse,if you

want a look.

Nice to hear from you,keep the photo's coming.

All the best,Ron. :thumbsup::hatsoff2:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 04/06/2020 at 23:17, Rob1159 said:

Now that would be fun to have a soul do in Hawaii. Glad you like the trees they are incredible aren't they. It is just a shame it is so far for folks from the UK to get there, we had our niece come over from N Wales a couple of years ago and we took her over to the Big Island for a treat after her marriage break up, she loved it, well we all did. 

Something a bit different hope you don't mind, some fish pictures from Roatan, which is a small island off the coast of Honduras it has the 2 or 3rd largest barrier reef, you can actually just walk out from the beach into the ocean and snorkel and see the reef and fish it is pretty incredible, the parrot fish was massive the largest one I have ever seen speaking to a local he recons he could have been 50 years old which is just amazing. Cheers Rob

Amazing.  Ive no more likes left for the last few posts 

Social source share

10 hours ago, Rob1159 said:

Hi Ron, I don't think you would be disappointed in going to Hawaii each island has something different from each other to offer, funny I started to go back in the early 80s for Ironman in Kona on the Big Island and raced there many times, that was got me to fall in love with the islands. Now it is just for a vacation and relaxation!! I love Maui and Kauai, we have only ever been to Oahu once, it is very built up island quite different from the others, but very powerful when you visit Peal Harbor and the cemetery at the punch bowl. When going around Peal Harbor you can visit the Arizona the battle ship that was sunk quite an emotional site really to think all those poor bodies are still down there with the ship. 

Also there is a great air museum you can still see the bullet holes in the buildings, the punch bowl was very moving to see all that are laid to rest there, in fact we got to sit and watch a Navy funeral while there hearing Taps being played brought a few tears believe me. There is a great memorial for the astronaut Ellison Onizuka who was from the Big Island that was killed on board Challenger which was sad as I had worked on the space shuttle program. 

Please if you need any information on the islands or help with planning it for the future let me know. Cheers Rob  

Hi Rob,

Many thanks for the information and your life stories,very interesting,all will

be a great help for the future.

Can i ask what you did on the space shuttle programme?,all very interesting,

must have been very emotional for you when Challenger and the crew were lost.

We did get to see one of the last shuttle launches STS-132 Atlantis in 2010 on

the NASA causeway,quite and experience as you know.

Can't wait to visit Hawaii in the future,reminds me alot of the Azores which

i visit every year,in the process of visiting all of the nine islands,i love walking

around the Calderas and feeling the peace and quiet together with the ancient

history and spectacular scenery.As you say each island will provide a wealth of

information and more,it may take more than one visit.

Listened to the Hawaiian music video,wonderful,thank you,my Dad would

have loved it,many thanks.

Thanks for all your help,Ron. :thumbsup:

• Up vote 1
Social source share