Show us your great photos (2020)

Amsterdam Russ

1 minute ago, Winsford Soul said:

Thanks Dave.  Lou actually Googled the picture and told me what it was. 

They are strange creatures with weird habits, sounds familiar.

1 minute ago, Julianb said:

Think one of his brothers bit me twice this morning on the golf course!😠😠😠

Probably not Julian, a wasp might use his stinger but not bite.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

20 minutes ago, Dylan said:

really enjoy the close up nature shots on here inspires me to snap away with the phone when I am out and about.

amateur snaps make you appreciate how much skill is needed to get a high quality shot.  Been trying to capture bees flying but not had any joy yet.

Dylan.  We're all amateurs on here as far as I'm aware mate, some of us are lucky enough to have professional quality gear , my camera is 7 years old as are 2 of the 3 lenses that i own, the equipment does help but right place,  right time with any camera is more important   😉 

Try using a fast shutter speed on your camera to capture the bee,s flying 👍

Social source share

8 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Dylan.  We're all amateurs on here as far as I'm aware mate, some of us are lucky enough to have professional quality gear , my camera is 7 years old as are 2 of the 3 lenses that i own, the equipment does help but right place,  right time with any camera is more important   😉 

Try using a fast shutter speed on your camera to capture the bee,s flying 👍

I’m just using the camera on my phone (iphone 8).

i haven’t used a proper camera for years.

my wife has just got an iPhone 11 and the camera on that is impressive for a phone camera

Social source share

5 minutes ago, Dylan said:

my wife has just got an iPhone 11 and the camera on that is impressive for a phone camera

Might be fun trying to capture those bees using the slo-mo video that’s a function of iPhone cameras. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

6 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Dylan.  Not sure about iPhone but my Samsung phone camera can be used the same way a proper camera can by altering the settings,  i bet yours or your wife's could do the same. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

35 minutes ago, Davenpete said:

A young Sparrow Hawk's been hanging around the nut feeders today (as it does periodically). After its latest unsuccessful sortie on the Blue Tits and being hassled by the bolshy Wood Pigeons that live on our patio, it stopped for a rest on the balcony railings. I was concerned after about 15 minutes that it hadn't flown off - even when I was right at the window - perhaps it had injured itself?

Anyway I decided to go out onto the patio to check it could fly - it still didn't move - I got closer and closer. Eventually I was literally close enough to touch it - it didn't seem to be concerned, but after a couple of minutes with me close by it happily flew off into a neighbouring tree, clearly quite fit and well.

I took these pictures with my phone - they are not enlarged in any way, just shot with the phone on normal setting - amazing, I guess it had just winded itself hunting, for want of a better way of putting it.

Dx

PS Anyone know if you can feed Sparrow Hawks successfully?

20200816_181325.jpg

20200816_181333.jpg

Fantastic stuff Dave.  Yeah you can train them to a fashion to come down to a feeding station,  best thing to use is a old log stood up and slightly hollowed out on top, ues dead mice or day old chicks and nail them down to the wood, that way they will happily feed on the carcass without being able to fly off with it  , may take a few weeks but the pictures will be worth it.  There's plenty of pictures in magazines and online that are shot that way. Good luck 👍 

Steve 

PS. Its a female or juvenile going off its colour 

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

3 minutes ago, Stevegods said:

Yea - all good here pal ... thanks hope al good with you , even after another Semi loss 😜

Passport stamped and dragged the other half up to the top of Cat Bells ... moaning lots .. 

A664D65A-4856-4B8B-AAD7-33AC1536269C.jpeg

Looking good  👍.  All good here thanks mate,  First semi this year we didn't deserve to lose unfortunately.  Onwards and upwards. Pardon the pun. 😁

Social source share

2 hours ago, Kenb said:

Tuesday 18th Aug pics.

Trout have been getting stressed at most venues because of the heat (water temps). But i thought i'd give it a try today. No luck, although they were very close to the margins just basking in the sun.

Fish 1.jpg

fish.jpg

Where's this Ken  ? Looks very picturesque 

Social source share

On 16/08/2020 at 18:35, Davenpete said:

A young Sparrow Hawk's been hanging around the nut feeders today (as it does periodically). After its latest unsuccessful sortie on the Blue Tits and being hassled by the bolshy Wood Pigeons that live on our patio, it stopped for a rest on the balcony railings. I was concerned after about 15 minutes that it hadn't flown off - even when I was right at the window - perhaps it had injured itself?

Anyway I decided to go out onto the patio to check it could fly - it still didn't move - I got closer and closer. Eventually I was literally close enough to touch it - it didn't seem to be concerned, but after a couple of minutes with me close by it happily flew off into a neighbouring tree, clearly quite fit and well.

I took these pictures with my phone - they are not enlarged in any way, just shot with the phone on normal setting - amazing, I guess it had just winded itself hunting, for want of a better way of putting it.

Dx

PS Anyone know if you can feed Sparrow Hawks successfully?

20200816_181325.jpg

20200816_181333.jpg

My goodness that is stunning Dave. I would have been in awe at it especially with it staying for that length of time.

Great photos 👍

• Up vote 1
Social source share

12 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Finally managed a  picture of the Nuthatch that has started visiting the garden. Had one visit about 8 years ago briefly but this bird is now a daily visitor but tends to stay near cover where its quite dark hence the noise (  grainy picture ) i never have the noise reduction switched on the camera and don,t use post picture processing apart from some cropping 

IB2A5348 (2).JPG

IB2A5353 (2).JPG

If you ever get down to London Steve there's a park in Twickenham, Marble Hill House, where there's a nuthatch that will feed from your hand, as well as other birds and marauding squirrels that climb your leg (probably after your nuts too).

Edited by Tattoodave
stupidity
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

10 minutes ago, Stevegods said:

Take our bikes into Whinlatter Forest Park whenever we are up - stunning trails .. your so lucky to live in thar part of the world - High and Low Lorton both so beautiful Dave .. 

FFAE2BD3-54B8-48E8-9715-765852C7720E.jpeg

F23FDB03-CE15-497B-A833-FA94E9DE98FE.jpeg

High Lorton - the cream house (Corner House) right on the corner of Tenter's Lane (the road up the hill towards Whinlatter that's now closed to cars). Dx

Social source share

Yes Russ one big one and two smaller one which came out yesterday , saved the 3 maybe the birds may get a meal or two .

The plant has still got some emerging flowers so I have lopped the top off and hoping the plant survives.

This is my first attempt to grow a sunflower and I was quite  proud of it and yes I am a bit sad.

Social source share

41 minutes ago, Shinehead said:

Yes Russ one big one and two smaller one which came out yesterday , saved the 3 maybe the birds may get a meal or two .

The plant has still got some emerging flowers so I have lopped the top off and hoping the plant survives.

This is my first attempt to grow a sunflower and I was quite  proud of it and yes I am a bit sad.

Graham.  My i suggest that you use a stake about 8ft / 10ft that is planted deep enough to be able to support the sunflower 🌻 when its grown   ,good luck mate

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Graham.  My i suggest that you use a stake about 8ft / 10ft that is planted deep enough to be able to support the sunflower 🌻 when its grown   ,good luck mate

Thanks Steve , I just had a go this year with more time on my hands , never grown one before so I was surprised at the height it achieved in a container , I will take your advice on board for next year.

Hopng the remaining stump will flower as they are still some emerging flowers still to bloom so maybe all is not lost.

Whatever it has been an enjoyable experience. 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

52 minutes ago, Shinehead said:

I expect the remaining flowers will come on to bloom without too much problem. They're pretty tough things!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I sewed nine seeds in two small containers. My thinking was that as we’ve a small balcony, we’d get small sunflowers.

Of the nine, seven germinated and grew nicely. However, we’ve had a devastating infection of spider mites and I had to destroy two of the sunflowers along with our previously healthy cucumber and French bean plants. It was really disappointing to have to do that.

The infestation on the remaining sunflowers has been such that I’ve had to cut nearly all the leaves off. In spite of that, all flowered in the last week or so.

No idea why we’ve had such a serious infestation of spider mites and white fly. In maybe four or five years of growing stuff in our tiny outdoor space it’s never been a problem before, and it almost puts me off thinking about trying similar next year.

On top of that, our carrot crop has come out completely stunted, which is also disappointing. Maybe I’ll just stick with the geraniums in future.

171EB050-F5C2-4A27-916A-B2A455C24309.jpeg

• Up vote 2
Social source share

1 minute ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

I sewed nine seeds in two small containers. My thinking was that as we’ve a small balcony, we’d get small sunflowers.

Of the nine, seven germinated and grew nicely. However, we’ve had a devastating infection of spider mites and I had to destroy two of the sunflowers along with our previously healthy cucumber and French bean plants. It was really disappointing to have to do that.

The infestation on the remaining sunflowers has been such that I’ve had to cut nearly all the leaves off. In spite of that, all flowered in the last week or so.

No idea why we’ve had such a serious infestation of spider mites and white fly. In maybe four or five years of growing stuff in our tiny outdoor space it’s never been a problem before, and it almost puts me off thinking about trying similar next year.

On top of that, our carrot crop has come out completely stunted, which is also disappointing. Maybe I’ll just stick with the geraniums in future.

Russell.  I would stick with the grocer's 😂

Sorry mate couldn't resist 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

14 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Russell.  I would stick with the grocer's 😂

Sorry mate couldn't resist 

Yes, that would be the easiest option 😉 - except I’ve found a lot of pleasure in growing stuff on the balcony and the edibles have been far superior the bland, force-grown stuff that’s so pervasive here in NL. 

We’ve got a little strawberry plant, and while the harvest from that has been very small, the fruit has been fantastic. Likewise with the French beans and cucumber plants before the spider mites sucked the life out of them.

Two cherry tomato plants, that I grew from tomato slices, are coming along nicely. I can’t eat toms, unfortunately, but my other half assures me they’re great!

Perhaps the lesson here is no pain, no gain! 🤔😂

8A27D936-EE7D-4A5F-82BA-F56598EC1E21.thumb.jpeg.012e6145d6cf34cae28c0a370d75ab42.jpeg

Edited by Amsterdam Russ
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

On 21/08/2020 at 18:42, Amsterdam Russ said:

Sorry to hear about your balcony growing  problems this year .

Gardening can be so frustrating but also rewarding , so I would put it down to one of those things and go again next year .

Social source share

40 minutes ago, Shinehead said:

Sorry to hear about your balcony growing  problems this year .

Gardening can be so frustrating but also rewarding , so I would put it down to one of those things and go again next year .

What most people forget is that there are pest, diseases and the British, or wherever you are's weather to contend with when gardening.  You have to give your plants the best conditions you can, feed and support them all through the growing cycle, if something is going wrong it should be evident from an early stage, though high winds and enormous first time of growing sunflowers is just hard luck, don't be put off by it.

Incidentally, if you had supported that sunflower and rubbed away the side shoots you could have come close to the British record, which is only 26 foot, though you'd need it to be grown against a south facing wall.

Social source share

8 minutes ago, Tattoodave said:

Incidentally, if you had supported that sunflower and rubbed away the side shoots you could have come close to the British record, which is only 26 foot, though you'd need it to be grown against a south facing wall.

Dave 

I think the photo may have given a false picture how big the sunflower was it was only about 12 foot tall so some way off the record lol

It was staked but it was growing at the side of my shed so the top was exposed to the elements. 

But for a first attempt and in a container I thought the height it reached was good and fortunately the stump is still alive and some flowers should still bloom .

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Mal C said:

Been a while since Ive posted in here, here are a few shots from last nights fishing trip in Chepstow in Monmouthshire Sunrise couple nice Common Carp for my efforts. My daughter Nia had one too.. 🙂

Fishing.jpg

Mathern Mill.jpg

IMG_1595.jpg

IMG_1533.jpg

Nice one Mal.  I've just started sorting out the gear to finally get back on the banks,  no commercials this time,  back to proper match  fishing on the canals and possibly matches on the River Mersey at Warrington so it will be loads of new rigs, fine lines, floats, for   punched bread, hemp etc and feeders,  reel lines, bombs etc for the river. 

I used to fish competitions 2 maybe 3 times a week at quite a high level, not planning on that sort of commitment but will still be against some the best north west canal anglers.  Watch this space 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Didn't know you fished, I used to fish canal's allot, but not to that level.  I do like river fishing though,  allot of very old wild Carp in our Rivers...   I only Carp fish these days, bit of Piking in the early months.

Post em up, lets see your catches!

Social source share