Show us your great photos (2020)

Amsterdam Russ

31 minutes ago, Julianb said:

Before and after (well still ongoing) covid lockdown, gardening changes.

Still a bit of planting to do, but you get the idea.

Sorry, seem to have downloaded the same photos,  but don't know how to delete the duplicates.

the editor may auto-save your content

if it does and previous content shows when you hit reply or click in the editor box

then the option 

'Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor'  should show at the bottom of the editor box

if it does show then hit the 'clear editor' link and that should resolve the problem

Social source share

On 18/09/2020 at 19:06, Zoomsoulblue said:

Yesterday ride out in Wales 👍🏻

5B049E06-DB4B-4991-8CD3-498FB9B35B2C.jpeg

CE7FEBDB-F79D-4BDC-9FCA-B7502624961A.jpeg

5C937A19-5402-4D2D-A9E9-5380C22A28F3.jpeg

Spent some of the best times of my non soulie life at Llyn Tegid ( Lake Bala  ) fishing especially in the winter,  fantastic roach fishing,  sometimes when I was lucky I would catch a fish called a Gwyniad,  a left over relic from the ice age and only found in Bala and I think windermere in the lake district. 

Edited by Winsford Soul
Social source share

Just watching A year in the wild. Atlantic. A wildlife programme.  Its on at 9pm and the channel has just said that some viewers maybe offended by scenes of life and death. This country really is  ( insert your own words ) when they are making statements like that. 

I think this is the appropriate thread because its regarding wildlife 

Edited by Winsford Soul
Social source share

Just had my 3 Lenses calibrated and micro -adjusted by Cambrian Photography in Colwyn Bay. never been done before apparently 99% of lens need adjustment to the camera that you use but i was lucky. 500mm Lens -/ + 0 .     70mm -200mm  Lens -/+ +.2   17mm - 40mm Lens -/+ +2.   2X convertor -/+ +15 . £ 30 well spent

• Up vote 1
Social source share

23 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Just been told that the lammergeier ( bearded Vulture  ) has been seen over Leicestershire this afternoon and heading in a South Easterly direction.  Looks like it's decided to return to the continent.  You never can tell though so it might have just gone fly about 

What a privilege to see it here in the UK 🇬🇧 

Bugger! Was thinking about a trip to see it this weekend. Oh well, it might come back.

Social source share

Just now, Soulandy said:

Bugger! Was thinking about a trip to see it this weekend. Oh well, it might come back.

Andy. If I hear anything different mate I will let you know.  👍 Starting to get that holiday feeling today,  Saturday can't get here quickly enough now.  Badgers, rural foxes ( not the tame urban ones ) hopefully Otters,  not counting the bird life. Sunsets, Milky way photos ( hopefully  ) 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

We had a small end-of-summer barbecue on the balcony in glorious weather yesterday evening. 

Neither of us is of the "let's bbq half a cow" type, so yesterday's fare consisted of scallops wrapped in air-dried Italian bacon, and langoustine. We also roasted some red peppers and a couple of bulbs of garlic for later use.

We've got a week of rain to look forward to now. Farewell, summer. It was nice knowing you.

IMG_4064.thumb.JPG.1e2f78a9acc25d8215a00154c5cd99f7.JPG

IMG_4065.thumb.JPG.b94aab6b56bab90f8cbe06e496fd9bc5.JPG

• Up vote 3
Social source share

On 22/09/2020 at 21:15, Winsford Soul said:

Andy. If I hear anything different mate I will let you know.  👍 Starting to get that holiday feeling today,  Saturday can't get here quickly enough now.  Badgers, rural foxes ( not the tame urban ones ) hopefully Otters,  not counting the bird life. Sunsets, Milky way photos ( hopefully  ) 

Not looking promising to be back. Enjoy your break 👍

https://www.4vultures.org/bearded-vulture-vigo-left-derbyshire-and-is-heading-south/?fbclid=IwAR1-u11OY8tENFKw1JJcvUZ-i55jqIf0H2SAu-IBAAEiaW6UArQattyWzUI

Social source share

11 hours ago, Soulandy said:

Thanks for posting Andy. Very interesting reading and a privilege for me to actually see the bird. One i will never forget,  infact the last 12 months have been fantastic (current situation excluded) ,  managed to see and photograph some if not all of the following special things. Neowise comet. Snow Bunting,  6 Barn Owl on one evening along with Short eared Owls. Water Voles. 20 plus Ring Ouzel on the same day as the lammergeier.  Red kite over my garden, amongst other things.  

Thanks for the good holiday wishes mate 👍  Hopefully will get some pictures to post on here. 

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

9 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Looks good Graham 👍  Birds will have sunflower seeds, hearts on tap 😁

I hope so Steve , I am spending more on sunflower seeds than on food for myself lol , I have loads of adults and juvenile Goldfinch visiting and they are ravenous.

But I don't mind they bring me loads of joy watching their antics.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

41 minutes ago, Shinehead said:

I hope so Steve , I am spending more on sunflower seeds than on food for myself lol , I have loads of adults and juvenile Goldfinch visiting and they are ravenous.

But I don't mind they bring me loads of joy watching their antics.

Sounds like me mate. Two feeders full a day of sunflower hearts. The goldfinch are fantastic to see around the feeders,  

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Winsford Soul said:

Sounds like me mate. Two feeders full a day of sunflower hearts. The goldfinch are fantastic to see around the feeders,  

Just hope the seeds on the flowers mature so the birds can eat them off the plant when it does die back 🤞

Edited by Shinehead
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

5 hours ago, Shinehead said:

Just hope the seeds on the flowers mature so the birds can eat them off the plant when it does die back 🤞

Just seen our sparrowhawk take it's FORTH goldfinch of the day from our feeders (which are caged so there's always a tug of war getting its prey through the bars) - it had three yesterday that I saw. I reckon it's either:

A] Gonna be fat as a pig shortly, or

B] More than one, or

C] Got kids to feed

Dx

• Up vote 1
Social source share

12 minutes ago, Davenpete said:

Just seen our sparrowhawk take it's FORTH goldfinch of the day from our feeders (which are caged so there's always a tug of war getting its prey through the bars) - it had three yesterday that I saw. I reckon it's either:

B] More than one, or

C] Got kids to feed

Would have thought this time of year ,chicks to feed could be ruled out .

I have seen Sparrowhawks swooping at my feeders but not a catch as yet , even though I get attached to the Goldfinch I would love to see a Sparrowhawk take one just for the spectacle,  I know it sounds cruel but that's nature.

A few years ago my next door neighbour's had a very large clematis on the front of the  house and it had a roost of sparrows in it and a Sparrowhawk used to use it like a takeaway .

• Up vote 1
Social source share

20 minutes ago, Davenpete said:

B] More than one, or

C] Got kids to feed

Dx

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurasian_sparrowhawk

Dave.  Plenty of information here on Sparrowhawks. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 minute ago, Shinehead said:

Would have thought this time of year ,chicks to feed could be ruled out .

I have seen Sparrowhawks swooping at my feeders but not a catch as yet , even though I get attached to the Goldfinch I would love to see a Sparrowhawk take one just for the spectacle,  I know it sounds cruel but that's nature.

A few years ago my next door neighbour's had a very large clematis on the front of the  house and it had a roost of sparrows in it and a Sparrowhawk used to use it like a takeaway .

Graham.  I've been lucky enough to see the Sparrowhawk ( male ) on the garden fence a few times and even managed to get a few pictures. Never seen them make a kill but now and again there's evidence on the grass of a successful hunt.  

Definitely agree with you on the no young to feed this time of year bit mate.  I've posted a link for Dave which has some interesting stuff 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Graham.  I've been lucky enough to see the Sparrowhawk ( male ) on the garden fence a few times and even managed to get a few pictures. Never seen them make a kill but now and again there's evidence on the grass of a successful hunt.  

Definitely agree with you on the no young to feed this time of year bit mate.  I've posted a link for Dave which has some interesting stuff 

It came back for a FIFTH bird - MUST be feeding chicks (to give you idea how late things are here I saw a Willow Warbler on the patio Tuesday!) ...Or there's a whole flock of the hairy little buggers hiding in the trees... You simply couldn't stuff that much Goldfinch into a single Sparrowhawk. Dx

Edited by Davenpete
Social source share

3 minutes ago, Davenpete said:

It came back for a FIFTH bird - MUST be feeding chicks or there's a whole flock of the hairy little buggers hiding in the trees... You simply couldn't stuff that much Goldfinch on a single Sparrowhawk. Dx

Definitely no chicks Dave,  they eat maybe 4 goldfinch,  sparrows a day and it will be a male Sparrowhawk with it only taking small birds. The female will take woodpidgeon,  magpie, grey squirrel etc. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

5 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Definitely no chicks Dave,  they eat maybe 4 goldfinch,  sparrows a day and it will be a male Sparrowhawk with it only taking small birds. The female will take woodpidgeon,  magpie, grey squirrel etc. 

Must admit it had an (unsuccessful) go at one of the Collared Doves that live on the patio yesterday.
Dx

6 minutes ago, Lozzer66 said:

It was a lovely surprise, hope it comes back again 🤞

If you see it again DON'T give it bread and milk as people traditionally did - milk is really bad for them. Tinned Cat/Dog food is best.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

44 minutes ago, Lozzer66 said:

I was wondering why my dog wouldn't come in the other night and then I saw why...Look who came for a visit to my garden, l haven't seen one for ages !!🦔20200917_230417.thumb.jpg.2823f4d977c32d1fbcfe6a2bf2460790.jpg

Used to have one under th shed a couple of years back but not seen it since. Good catch, as rare as a Frank Wilson these days 🙂

• Up vote 2
Social source share

3 hours ago, Davenpete said:

Must admit it had an (unsuccessful) go at one of the Collared Doves that live on the patio yesterday.
Dx

If you see it again DON'T give it bread and milk as people traditionally did - milk is really bad for them. Tinned Cat/Dog food is best.

Yes I believe so, I was thinking of putting out some dog food and water but thanks for the advice,. Lots of people don't know so good to share 😊

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 minutes ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

Front window view about 15 minutes ago. Looking very autumnal and hard to believe it was summer last week. Feels more like late October! 

1314041621_20200925AalsmeerAutumn.thumb.JPG.0553f6ea4fa127219328ea4f9f90d1a4.JPG

Same here Russ sunbathing in shorts Monday and Tuesday  this week , today turning on the central heating,  gonna be a long winter for more reasons than one.

Social source share

10 minutes ago, Shinehead said:

Same here Russ sunbathing in shorts Monday and Tuesday  this week , today turning on the central heating,  gonna be a long winter for more reasons than one.

Likewise, been in shorts and short sleeves since late spring and had to put on trousers and a jumper this week. Not good. No central heating yet, though, but don't want to speak too soon! And I think you're right - it is going to be a looooong winter! ☹️

Social source share

Looking a bit stormy there Russell.  Well it's Pembrokeshire for me in the morning and ever the optimist packed 4 pair shorts and two grown up pair of long pants. Got the waterproofs etc for out and about for the wildlife pictures but I'm like the postman who wears shorts virtually all the time.  Its less clothing to get wet and consequently much easier to dry

Social source share

21 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Looking a bit stormy there Russell.  Well it's Pembrokeshire for me in the morning and ever the optimist packed 4 pair shorts and two grown up pair of long pants. Got the waterproofs etc for out and about for the wildlife pictures but I'm like the postman who wears shorts virtually all the time.  Its less clothing to get wet and consequently much easier to dry

Enjoy and happy hunting! 📸

• Thanks 1
Social source share