Show us your great photos (2020)

Amsterdam Russ

21 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Went out for a walk today in 45 mph winds gusting 55mph and was lucky enough to catch a surfer dude  strutting his stuff in some big waves. The light was amazing making the sea look emerald green the pictures don,t really do it justice

IB2A6468 (3).JPG

IB2A6471 (4).JPG

IB2A6475 (2).JPG

This is where my son would like to be, rather than in potential lockdown at Uni!!!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Just been to a restaurant called the plantagenet for a meal. The building is from the 12th century with a flemish fireplace that big that there's seating for four people around the table inside.  

Had a scallops and bacon starter followed by Black bream on a bed of samphire with prawn risotto infused with beetroot followed by a lemon cheesecake with fresh raspberries, strawberries and blueberries.  

IMG_20201004_200217_601.jpg

20201009_203424.jpg

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

4 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Just been to a restaurant called the plantagenet for a meal. The building is from the 12th century with a flemish fireplace that big that there's seating for four people around the table inside.  

Had a scallops and bacon starter followed by Black bream on a bed of samphire with prawn risotto infused with beetroot followed by a lemon cheesecake with fresh raspberries, strawberries and blueberries.  

IMG_20201004_200217_601.jpg

20201009_203424.jpg

Making me hungry and I only had dinner 1hr ago!!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Winsford Soul said:

Tenby in today's sunshine.  Below is a picture of the place that made me decide that I have had enough of travelling abroad and I have been staying in the UK for the last 15 years . Dont even have a passport anymore. 

20201013_134759.jpg

We have friends down there (Saundersfoot) - we went to stay and I was bowled over by what a fantastic place it is (and all the slow worms) - I can't understand why anyone would mess around taking kids abroad with such a brilliant place as this on the doorstep. Dx

• Up vote 1
Social source share

48 minutes ago, Davenpete said:

We have friends down there (Saundersfoot) - we went to stay and I was bowled over by what a fantastic place it is (and all the slow worms) - I can't understand why anyone would mess around taking kids abroad with such a brilliant place as this on the doorstep. Dx

Dave. Saundersfoot as you say is a fantastic place with some nice restaurants, pubs etc, personally i think Tenby is even more so.

You don't need to travel abroad as there's always something to do down here regardless of the weather.  With the added bonus of no traffic,  no light pollution.  Really looking forward to retirement down here in a few years time 😁 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Winsford Soul said:

Correct Andy. 👍😁Not quite there yet for the virtual blue Peter badge.  What about the harder 4 😁

Ha.  I first thought the first was a stonechat female and the second a pipit of some sort, tree maybe. As I'm in wales, my books at home so im not too sure of them 🤔

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Soulandy said:

Ha.  I first thought the first was a stonechat female and the second a pipit of some sort, tree maybe. As I'm in wales, my books at home so im not too sure of them 

To be honest mate the second one is a bit of a puzzle.  At first I also thought iI was  a Tree Pipit but Pipits have a long slender beak and this has a finch type beak. And like you I don't have any books with me. Martyn  ? Help. 

Twite possibly? 

The first one is a Wheatear.  

Social source share

23 minutes ago, Soulandy said:

Rock Pipit? & Dipper.

I though wheatear, but wasn't sure. Was watching a couple of Curlews today  at  portmeirion but too far for a photo. Only the 2nd time to see this bird

Correct mate. First decent picture of a Rock Pipit,  love Curlew especially the call as the fly  over the misty moors and estuaries so haunting . They're on the rspb  red list 90 % down on  numbers since the 70,s, still plenty down here in Pembrokeshire,  seen probably 30 yesterday.  

Love Port Merion, you actually staying there ? 

Social source share

14 minutes ago, Soulandy said:

A great few days in Wales, Dyffryn Ardudwy, in great weather.

1st photo is Barmouth Bridge, 2nd is the sun going down , 3rd is of Portmeirion, 4th is of Snowdon

DSC01489.JPG

20201013_171319.jpg

DSC01543.JPG

20201016_112446 (2).jpg

Andy.  I stayed at a  Dyffryn Ardudwy camp site many years ago. Think they're the largest sand dunes in the UK.  First place that I ever managed to see Dolphins.  

Social source share

17 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Andy.  I stayed at a  Dyffryn Ardudwy camp site many years ago. Think they're the largest sand dunes in the UK.  First place that I ever managed to see Dolphins.  

The dunes are big and long. Seen the Dolphins at Barmouth a couple of times but nothing this time. Red Kites and kingfishers on the Mawddach Trail which is always good 👍

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 15/10/2020 at 19:38, Soulandy said:

Ha.  I first thought the first was a stonechat female and the second a pipit of some sort, tree maybe. As I'm in wales, my books at home so im not too sure of them 🤔

Andy. Not long home and having a look through my bird books.  The second bird is looking like a Twite . Which if it is will be a first for me.  

Social source share

On 15/10/2020 at 19:38, Soulandy said:

Andy. Just been in touch with a proper twitching friend of mine and he thinks its a immature Reed Bunting but he was surprised when i told him where it was in a bush on a Cliff on the Pembrokeshire  coast path. 

Looks like the mystery is solved. No Twite, ( yet ) 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

5 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Andy. Just been in touch with a proper twitching friend of mine and he thinks its a immature Reed Bunting but he was surprised when i told him where it was in a bush on a Cliff on the Pembrokeshire  coast path. 

Looks like the mystery is solved. No Twite, ( yet ) 

Looking through my books it's hard to tell sometimes with the markings, some birds look the same. You have to really know what to look out for. A bit like record collecting 😉

Social source share

3 minutes ago, Soulandy said:

Looking through my books it's hard to tell sometimes with the markings, some birds look the same. You have to really know what to look out for. A bit like record collecting 😉

My books didnt have a immature Reed Bunting picture, just winter summer plumage variants. Record collecting mistakes are much more costly than bird pictures

• Up vote 1
Social source share

20 minutes ago, Fish Fingers said:

We were in Newquay last week and took this pic down at the harbour of a rainbow that lasted about 10 seconds.

20201009_142707.jpg

I remember swimming around that island when I was a kid. There used to be a swimming pool made out of concrete at the bottom of the island and it was flushed out twice a day by the tide.  A dead blue shark 🦈 got washed in one day and no one would go in the pool   until me and my brother found a stick to poke it with, made sure it was dead then investigated it. Amazing creature.  With sharp teeth and soulless eyes. 

Social source share