Show us your great photos (2020)

Amsterdam Russ

8 minutes ago, Soulandy said:

The Towpath near Lymm, not far from the M6. Same towpath though 🙂

The section that you can  access up the steps between grappenhall and Lymm? If so I nearly said there.  Won my first ever open match there.  Beech Lane. 

Edited by Winsford Soul
Social source share

On 19/10/2020 at 15:05, Winsford Soul said:

Andy. That looks like its the towpath at Walton Hall Gardens. 

Hate to be a killjoy, but the towpath on the Bridgewater Canal (certainly round Lymm at least) is no cycling. 

Loads of cyclists use it without realising its forbidden, as they don't see the signs. 

Edited by Fish Fingers
Social source share

15 minutes ago, Fish Fingers said:

Hate to be a killjoy, but the towpath on the Bridgewater Canal (certainly round Lymm at least) is no cycling. 

Loads of cyclists use it without realising its forbidden, as they don't see the signs. 

No kill joy for me. I love fishing the canal's but my old local stretch at Runcorn was ruined by the Manchester ship canal company and Halton council by levelling the towpath and using white stone chippings to make it cycling friendly.  Actually head butted one knob head riding the towpath when there was a fishing match, he had been warned about it but carried on and ended up riding over a  £500 section of my pole. So he got a headache.  Prick.  

Social source share

Out of interest, a mate was recently in court for headbutting someone and its now classed as an offensive weapon under GBH section 18. 

I was surprised as in my mind its quite hard not to carry a head around......no matter how offensive it is!

The towpath is an awkward one. We live right on it and use it as the footpath to get into Lymm. During lockdown cyclists probably outnumbered walkers 10 to 1. But they are mostly doing it innocently, as the 'no cycling' signs are small and not easy to see. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 20/10/2020 at 21:48, Fish Fingers said:

Yes mate, seen the signs etc and always take note. That day was very quiet and we did get off and push past the only couple we saw. Being a walker more than a biker I know how bad it can be so always take note of who's on the paths etc 👍

Social source share

51 minutes ago, Soulandy said:

Dunham Park today. Quite a lot of Parrakeets knocking about making a racket and looks like a couple may have a home there

DSC01576.JPG

DSC01578.JPG

DSC01584.JPG

DSC01587.JPG

2020-10-22-13-24-47-439.jpg

2020-10-22-14-16-42-582.jpg

DSC01562.JPG

DSC01565.JPG

Great pictures mate. I've seen 2 parakeets nr me both times I've been driving.  Actually heard them calling out the back garden but couldn't see them. Would love to photograph them 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

11 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Great pictures mate. I've seen 2 parakeets nr me both times I've been driving.  Actually heard them calling out the back garden but couldn't see them. Would love to photograph them 

Cheers Steve. This year seems to of seen an increase in parakeets around this area, or so it sounds like. Maybe because through lockdown and beyond its been a lot quieter so you hear them more. I've certainly heard and seen them all over this area covering the Sale & Altrincham suburbs

• Up vote 1
Social source share

17 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Did you catch any pike mate ? Or needs a few frosty nights ? 

Was not fishing mate just had outboard serviced and was out early. A dozen cranes flew over just after I took photo. Fantastic birds 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

6 minutes ago, Martyn Pitt said:

I really haven't been spending enough time with my camera, but I managed these at the weekend. They had drained a fair amount of water from the reservoir so they could inspect the wall of the dam, we took advantage and refurbed some of the islands (well some guys with big machines did). So its starting to fill up again now which is good as the shore line is miles away from the path except in a couple of places where I got this fella.

A Little Egret614_110.jpg.4a639f9b8700fab7baeb944f3888796a.jpg

614_115a.jpg.bc4a8f833dcff6f95cc5f39681e3b589.jpg

Brilliant Martyn.  About bloody time you started posting pictures again mate. Thought Carol had made you sell them for something useful ( in her opinion 🤔  ) like stilts.  I know that I will suffer for this comment next time we get to meet up 😂

• Up vote 1
Social source share

18 minutes ago, Martyn Pitt said:

Had this the other week, it was early and the light was poor, it was in the shadow of the dam, and they are bloody small and quick ... it was a plus for me that I got it in focus, better light and it would have been a beauty, especially with the reflection (not one bird flying below another as one twitter user thought)

613_063a.jpg.188a41f22177bb371362abfc72c6c10a.jpg

Little jet fighters mate. So quick.  👏👏👏

Social source share

7 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Few more Otter pictures from my recent trip to Pembrokeshire 

The Bottom picture shows how close the Otter actually was to me at one point and with only having the 500mm f4 lens I  struggled just get it in the frame and I couldn't step backwards anymore 

20201026_105838.jpg

20201026_105827.jpg

20201026_105904.jpg

Superb 

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

5 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Just had a email from the BBC  springwatch/ autumnwatch team letting me know they will be featuring one of my pictures of a Shoveller on one the upcoming shows in the new series Well chuffed 

2017-06-27_08-07-37.jpg

Nice one mate, you've put some fantastic photos up here, so we'll done 👍

• Thanks 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Martyn Pitt said:

Juvenile Peregrine chasing ducks, it still has a lot to learn on how to use that 200mph flight properly ... and also waterfowl can disappear underwater 😄

614_119.jpg.9df7e6f7efc4252970cdb09f5ff97341.jpg

614_117.jpg.0e36942fd6361c09d3c1ddea57bbbf1e.jpg

Fantastic pictures mate 👍 Do Waterfowl shout Duck when a Peregrine turns up 😇🙃😛

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Wonder if anyone can help Identify this bird. Its definitely not a pigeon but was wondering if it could be a crow/magpie hybrid. Maybe a young crow with white markings. It was hopping about before flyinh off. Not the best photos as its the phone on zoom, taken at Dunham Park. 

IMG-20201101-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20201101-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20201101-WA0008.jpg

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Soulandy said:

Wonder if anyone can help Identify this bird. Its definitely not a pigeon but was wondering if it could be a crow/magpie hybrid. Maybe a young crow with white markings. It was hopping about before flyinh off. Not the best photos as its the phone on zoom, taken at Dunham Park. 

IMG-20201101-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20201101-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20201101-WA0008.jpg

Andy . It looks like a juvenile magpie thats still going through its moulting into new adult feathers. No tail feathers.  But only on my mobile phone so can't really expand it. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

19 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Andy . It looks like a juvenile magpie thats still going through its moulting into new adult feathers. No tail feathers.  But only on my mobile phone so can't really expand it. 

Cheers mate. I think you may be right after looking at quite a few photos. The amount of white and "marbled" look just puzzle me for a bit. Lack of me camera again 👍

Edited by Soulandy
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

On 09/10/2020 at 20:32, Winsford Soul said:

Just been to a restaurant called the plantagenet for a meal. The building is from the 12th century with a flemish fireplace that big that there's seating for four people around the table inside.  

Had a scallops and bacon starter followed by Black bream on a bed of samphire with prawn risotto infused with beetroot followed by a lemon cheesecake with fresh raspberries, strawberries and blueberries.  

IMG_20201004_200217_601.jpg

20201009_203424.jpg

Where is this place  It looks amazing

Hope you don't mind sharing 

Social source share